NGD Result from too much GAS

markintime

Wood Grain Devotee
So I was kind of looking for a semi-hollow, and since I'd just picked up a knock-out CU24, a CU22 seemed in order. I haven't had time to take pictures of it, but here's the one from the seller's Ebay listing:

2012SECU22SH_zpsjsmzok7m.jpg

Used, of course, but not a mark or scratch on it anywhere I can find. It even has the original clear plastic stick-on over the Vol/Tone cavity still on the back. After I tuned it up, because it seems to have completely brand new strings on it, and they were loose, it showed that it was in near perfect intonation. Playability was quite good. The only other thing I adjusted was the bridge pickup height because it seemed not to have enough volume to balance with the neck pickup. Now it's all good. It did not come with the PRS SE case, but a very form-fitting, well-padded Parker case which the seller claimed it was a $100 case. I can see it.

Naturally it has a different sound than either the Paul's or my new 30th SE, but we're talking 59/09's and Paul's 408's against the stock CU22 pups here. Even so, it's quite interesting. The sound has a natural resonance and openness probably due to the cat's eye f-hole. Put some reverb on it and she does sing and hold a note. The only thing I didn't realize is that there is no tone push/pull so no coil split. I'm not sure whether to keep playing with it and see where we go from here, or to ask, once again, what might suitable pickups be for a swap. If I do that, those rings will go and a push/pull will slide in with whatever pups move in. Just don't know. I should probably just practice with it in the bedroom with the others, at least for a while. It is quite light and hangs well. Might be a keeper... . :cheers:

This looks like an SE Custom Semi-Hollow from days of yore! Nice! That same pickguard first appeared on the original SE Santana with the diagonal slice fretboard inlays. The "PRS Designed" SE bass and treble humbuckers would be in your guitar if still stock. Enjoy, man!

Thanks fellas. I did forget to mention that it is a 2012 model. I tried to find some demo videos of it to see what it COULD sound like, and they definitely sounded much better than I can play. :redface:

Congrats guitar looks great. . Parker make a good gig bag, is it a semi rigid bag ?

No, unfortunately, it's not semi rigid. But it is so well padded it is just a little snug to get the zippers around. And they go far enough around to the back side so the case can open like a book. I can live with it, actually kind of like it. Makes the guitar feel like its being hugged and snuggled. :wink:

But I will have to get used to the flat top. Even my SE 30th has that bit of a bevel with not as sharp an edge, just a bit more rounded so it feels really nice.

Last edited:
Back