NGD - PRS SE Zach Myers, Vintage Sunburst

Now you just need to come out to EXP PRS next year. It's my favorite day of the year.

I live in Northern Virginia, so it's actually not that far from my house. I didn't know it existed until it was too late to go this year, but I do plan on going next year!

I live in Northern Virginia, so it's actually not that far from my house. I didn't know it existed until it was too late to go this year, but I do plan on going next year!

Oh awesome, I live in Reston! Yeah it's like a a little over an hour drive which is easy.

Oh awesome, I live in Reston! Yeah it's like a a little over an hour drive which is easy.

Yeah, I'm in Alexandria. By the way, do you know of any area shops that specialize in PRS maintenance? I'm sure there are some, given the closeness of PRS HQ, but I don't know of any and I'm decidedly against bringing my guitar back to GC in the future.

Yeah, I'm in Alexandria. By the way, do you know of any area shops that specialize in PRS maintenance? I'm sure there are some, given the closeness of PRS HQ, but I don't know of any and I'm decidedly against bringing my guitar back to GC in the future.

I'm not a huge fan of GC. I usually stick with small mom and pop shops. I took my SE to Melodee music here in sterling for pickup replacement and they did a great job and it was relatively cheap compared to GC. As for out by you, I hear Arlington Fret Works is pretty good. I say give them a call or lookup their site

I'm not a huge fan of GC. I usually stick with small mom and pop shops. I took my SE to Melodee music here in sterling for pickup replacement and they did a great job and it was relatively cheap compared to GC. As for out by you, I hear Arlington Fret Works is pretty good. I say give them a call or lookup their site

Thanks for the info. I will definitely do that.

I'm local to you two guys here in NoVA. For any serious work I'd highly recommend Philtone in Baltimore. Phil refretted my CE24 and did a super job. I'm sure he does fantastic setups as well. He worked at PRS several years ago. I have gone to Dan(?) at Arlington Fretworks a couple of times. He does good setups and I'm sure could get your ZM playing how you like it.

Good to know TFC. When I bought my guitar at EXP John Mann threw in free setups for life...sadly were not in NH. What work were you looking at getting done?

I'm local to you two guys here in NoVA. For any serious work I'd highly recommend Philtone in Baltimore. Phil refretted my CE24 and did a super job. I'm sure he does fantastic setups as well. He worked at PRS several years ago. I have gone to Dan(?) at Arlington Fretworks a couple of times. He does good setups and I'm sure could get your ZM playing how you like it.

Thanks, man! Awesome info that I will write down for posterity.

Reactions: TFC
Good to know TFC. When I bought my guitar at EXP John Mann threw in free setups for life...sadly were not in NH. What work were you looking at getting done?

Well, the guitar had some fret buzz on arrival. When I took it back to GC to get it restrung and re-setup, the buzz went away, but came back after a few hours of playing. I've managed to resolve the buzz, but I had to raise the bridge a lot and the low E string is way above their recommended height. It plays fine, but I was looking for a good, reliable PRS-experience luthier that I could take the guitar to in the future for a really good setup. I don't feel like the GC tech really looked at the PRS recommendations for the guitar and just set it up as a "general" setup. Right now I'm actually happy with the guitar, although I need to fix the intonation now and I suppose the action could be a little lower, but it's more along the lines of knowing who to turn to in the future.

Well, the guitar had some fret buzz on arrival. When I took it back to GC to get it restrung and re-setup, the buzz went away, but came back after a few hours of playing. I've managed to resolve the buzz, but I had to raise the bridge a lot and the low E string is way above their recommended height. It plays fine, but I was looking for a good, reliable PRS-experience luthier that I could take the guitar to in the future for a really good setup. I don't feel like the GC tech really looked at the PRS recommendations for the guitar and just set it up as a "general" setup. Right now I'm actually happy with the guitar, although I need to fix the intonation now and I suppose the action could be a little lower, but it's more along the lines of knowing who to turn to in the future.
Not at all surprised. The guys at GC don't know what they're doing half the time and they're kind of A holes over there. Good luck

Welcome and congratulations on your choice. This passion is something that could stay with you forever (and there are not many of such things).

Hey, thanks everyone! This is about the nicest group of forum posteres I've ever come across :) I'd never buy a guitar just for the online community that supports it, but having such a nice community to support my guitar choice is a nice added bonus :)

Back