NGD - PRS SE Zach Myers, Vintage Sunburst

Jomolungma

Well, the day has finally come where I feel comfortable posting this thread. I bought my ZM a few weeks ago, but some nagging fret buzz issues had me hesitant to embrace it for fear I'd need to exchange it. After several hours of tinkering, led by advice from this forum and other online sources, I finally fixed the problem and can now, happily, welcome this baby into my home with open arms.

The only thing I've changed is I've installed .10s in lieu of the factory .09s. It's my first legitimate electric guitar I've ever owned and will serve as the bedrock of my effort to teach myself guitar at 40. I played bass a touch in high school and fiddled with guitar in college, but I'm finally able and ready to dedicate myself to learning how to play. So glad I now have an instrument that makes me want to do that. Right now I mostly play it through my PC on Rocksmith, or through an AmPlug, but I did buy a 20-watt Orange Crush for when neighbors are out. I'm having a blast.

PS - The strap was a Father's Day gift when I told my wife what I was going to buy. I think it looks good with the guitar and it is very comfortable.

cLS2Ktz
W3tmaIo
X6rFu2q
MgY3GRA

http://imgur.com/cLS2Ktz
http://imgur.com/W3tmaIo
http://imgur.com/X6rFu2q
http://imgur.com/MgY3GRA

PPS - Would love to include the photos in this post but seem to be failing with every method I've tried. So if you have some pointers on that, I'd be much obliged...

Last edited:
Congratulations!

This post is near and dear to me, because I chose to take up guitar at the age of 40, too. I've been at it for 8 months now, and having a blast.

Be warned...They're addicting. I started with one, and now have 5. And I'm on the hunt for more...and more...and more.

Enjoy the journey. It's a blast, and the guys here are awesome!

Congratulations!

This post is near and dear to me, because I chose to take up guitar at the age of 40, too. I've been at it for 8 months now, and having a blast.

Be warned...They're addicting. I started with one, and now have 5. And I'm on the hunt for more...and more...and more.

Enjoy the journey. It's a blast, and the guys here are awesome!

Ha! Yes, I can feel the addictiveness starting to take root. I honestly had no plan to learn guitar at this age, but I found the Rocksmith software and a ton of apps for learning guitar and we were playing a ton of Rockband and I thought, why the hell not! I've been playing now for about two months - I started with a kickaround acoustic I had in the house - and I think I'm doing pretty well. I have a friend who is a professional drummer and sometimes-guitarist who is already pushing me to do duets. We have a beach vacation with our families coming up and he wants me to play songs with him. What have I gotten myself into!? :)

Congrats! It's nearly a twin to the one I picked up just last week. These are great guitars. I can't stop playing mine.

Here are your photos:

cLS2Ktz.jpg

W3tmaIo.jpg

X6rFu2q.jpg

MgY3GRA.jpg

Congrats on a beauty! Great selection. Glad you got your "issues" worked out too. Good luck with the playing. I know where you're coming from. I started at 16, and pretty much stopped when I got a "real job" at 20. I'm trying to get back after it now, and I've got 9 years on you.

Congrats! It's nearly a twin to the one I picked up just last week. These are great guitars. I can't stop playing mine.

Here are your photos:

Oh, thanks! Couldn't figure that out but thanks for getting it to work!

Reactions: TFC
Rock on, gentlemen. It`s never too late to enjoy 6 strings (or 7, or 12, or whatever).

Here are your photos:

cLS2Ktz.jpg

W3tmaIo.jpg

X6rFu2q.jpg

MgY3GRA.jpg

Nice SE ZM, and I need one of those PRS straps!!!..

Tis a beautiful guitar!! I started guitar at age 41, and have been playing for just over 2.5 years. I had never really played any instrument before. I don't have a regular enough schedule for typical lessons, but have used the Learn & Master guitar series, as well as the Metal Method series. Both provided a very good foundation. I am now in the middle of the Artistworks Online lessons with Paul Gilbert. I cannot recommend this highly enough. Paul is an AMAZING teacher. I have only been using his lessons for 3 months, but have advanced rapidly since starting them. I think they would be slightly advanced for a true, first time picking up guitar, beginner, but would be perfect for anything beyond that.

BTW, I absolutely love your guitar. I have felt the same way. I need a guitar that inspires me to play and want to get better. PRS does that!!

Congrats, and enjoy!!!

Kevin

Congrats for starting guitar, and also RIP to your bank account. One does not merely buy just one PRS and call it at that....

Tis a beautiful guitar!! I started guitar at age 41, and have been playing for just over 2.5 years. I had never really played any instrument before. I don't have a regular enough schedule for typical lessons, but have used the Learn & Master guitar series, as well as the Metal Method series. Both provided a very good foundation. I am now in the middle of the Artistworks Online lessons with Paul Gilbert. I cannot recommend this highly enough. Paul is an AMAZING teacher. I have only been using his lessons for 3 months, but have advanced rapidly since starting them. I think they would be slightly advanced for a true, first time picking up guitar, beginner, but would be perfect for anything beyond that.

BTW, I absolutely love your guitar. I have felt the same way. I need a guitar that inspires me to play and want to get better. PRS does that!!

Congrats, and enjoy!!!

Kevin

Thanks, Kevin! And thanks for those lessons tips. I've been using justinguitar.com with my acoustic for lessons. Now that I have my ZM I've switched over to using Rocksmith a lot, but it's not really great for structured lessons - more for learning techniques and songs. So I'll take a look at the series you recommended. Always looking to improve, although I have patience - I embarked on this journey with the single goal of being able to play guitar as a hobby when I retire. I won't retire for about 20 years, so I've got some time to learn :)

SE's are the new gateway drug

Yeah. When I was searching out guitars I was looking at instruments below $1,000. So I was looking at Epiphone's, a Gibson or two, some Fender's, Squier's, etc. When I was handed my first SE by a guy in Portland I was blown away that it competed for price with all the others. It was so clearly, to me, a better made guitar and played much better as well. I was, frankly, shocked that they weren't all over the place, but it was hard to find them in stores. I feel like I was let in on a big secret and I'm happy I was because I love the guitar. Everyone I've handed it to has been blown away by the feel and quality and look, and it plays great. So I'm very pleased and, probably, hooked on PRS for life now :)

Now you just need to come out to EXP PRS next year. It's my favorite day of the year.

Back