NGD: PRS SE Zach Myers Signature (with a great story + pics + video)

endfocus

Longtime lurker, first post here.

The Story

My girlfriend whom I recently moved in with knew how I've been lusting after this guitar. I've been talking about it nonstop and even showed her the particular listing for a particularly fine used example just to let her know what I'm dreaming about (mint, beautiful top, set up for .10s, PRS US nut added). We just moved in together, we're trying to put our apartment together and we're saving for furniture, bills, etc, so I don't have $$$ to spend on a guitar.

The next day, I go back to the listing to drool some more - listing is gone. I ask myself: Could she have bought it? ... no way. That would be crazy. I ask her about it in a couple clever ways to see if I could smoke her out. I knew she wouldn't be able to hide it. But, she seemed clueless. Shucks. Not that I was expecting such a generous gift, but I couldn't help but being hopeful.

Fast forward to Sunday night. We're driving home, and I go into this long speech about how I really miss playing as much as I used to. I'm clearly upset about this. She turns to me and says: "I got you that guitar, and it's going to arrive tomorrow at my office. I was going to bring it home and set it up on your guitar stand and see how long it took you to notice, but you seemed so upset I wanted to tell you." I was ecstatic. What a girlfriend, right?

Fast forward to Monday. We work about 10 minutes from one another. About 11.30 she lets me know it's arrived. We meet for lunch halfway between our offices and I tear into it in the parking lot and play it in the backseat of my car for fifteen minutes or so while she sits there, glad I'm so happy. What a lady.​

On to the guitar.
Awesome. Blows my mind away. I've had multiple "Core" PRSi (P22, HBII) and an SE (Santana), I've been consistently impressed with the SEs, but this guitar really, really impresses me.

Terrific playability - the 24.5" scale makes .10s feel almost like .09s. May slap some .11s on this guy. I love the feel of the satin neck. The fit and finish is top notch. The top is stunning. Great unplugged tone. Only plugged it in for a couple minutes - Pickups are very good - plenty of clarity without sacrificing depth and thickness. Neck is full and round with plenty of top end ring.The bridge is a bit on the thin side, but I may have to play with pickup height or amp settings or put heavier strings on.

Overall, I had very high expectations going in and they were all exceeded.

Mods?
At some point, I may consider a pickup swap. I would love to have split coil functionality to make this versatile beast even more versatile. And I am a little tempted (lame I know) to take "Zach Myers" off the headstock. Is that possible? Not a huge deal, though.​

Here are some pictures and a quick video of some unplugged strumming (sorry it's quiet, it was late at night)...

Quick Video (Publicly accessible, don't have to be signed into Facebook)
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10205012766421163&set=vb.1302293807&type=2&theater

Some Photos From the Listing (Courtesy of the Original Seller)

44fTtz8.jpg

2Ke6avf.jpg

8lB1Aao.jpg

And A Couple More
PwtAeLH.jpg

430Ldaw.png

ss5siPu.jpg

Last edited:
Only one question - she got a sister? :call:

Cool story - sounds like a cool lady. And no matter what, there's always a special tie to that guitar.

Oh, and DIBS!!! (If you ever dump her, that is...I can look really disappointed about not having a guitar!)

Great story and great girlfriend...

"And I am a little tempted (lame I know) to take "Zach Myers" off the headstock"

If you fund a way let me know... Im lame too

Marry the girl immediately!

I'd ask if she has a sister, but looking at your pic I'll ask if she has a Mom instead.

Nice!!! Great guitar, great story, and best of all, great girlfriend! That axe does indeed look to be in mint condition, too.

I'm gonna put .010s on my ZM sooner or later -playing with .009s on the shorter scale feels all weird compared to my usual .011s on the longer scale of my HB.

I am on the fence concerning whether the ZM logo should be removed. It doesn't really detract, but I didn't buy the guitar because of him. It will almost be guaranteed to stay on the guitar, therefore, because I am lazy.

Thanks for all the responses, guys! I tweaked the truss rod last night so I'm loving this axe and its playability even more.

I know I'm a lucky guy with a great lady!

I couldn't be happier for you! What a great story, and your excitement and passion come through in your words. That is an absolutely beautiful guitar. I think I want one now..... Sounds amazing too!

Thanks for sharing.

I couldn't be happier for you! What a great story, and your excitement and passion come through in your words. That is an absolutely beautiful guitar. I think I want one now..... Sounds amazing too!

Thanks for sharing.

Do it. Like I mentioned, I had pretty high expectations and they were definitely exceeded.

I would like you guys opinions... If you could change teh headstock inlay wich one would you use? prs signature, or wich of the eagles inlay?

I would like you guys opinions... If you could change teh headstock inlay wich one would you use? prs signature, or wich of the eagles inlay?

I'd be tempted to put an eagle on there...something with a green abalone core, to match the Trampas green body (assuming you have a TG finish). For my spalted maple top, I think a "plain" white abalone/MOP/whatever eagle would work best.

You might want to ask this question in the SE mods thread or the Show Off Your ZM thread - might get a few more eyeballs on it.

EDIT: the PS Friday thread (sticky) has excellent examples of blue-green-inlay eagles. A recent photo in this post is an example:

http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?2297-Private-Stock-Friday&p=167763&viewfull=1#post167763

Or even the natural colorings here:

http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?2297-Private-Stock-Friday&p=163526&viewfull=1#post163526

Last edited:
Back