NGD - PRS Custom 24 (Core)

wharf rat

Hello all!

New to the board. Have been after a PRS since I was a kid and I am finally in the position to grab one now (at the ripe age of 38). I found one locally for, what I considered to be, a good deal considering prices new. $2950.

I am having a bit of buyers remorse, frankly, given how dang expensive it was and not maybe giving the SE's a go prior to my plunge into the wonderful world. I am, after all, a bedroom hobbyist and I fear that this Core, while beautiful and nice, may be a bit rich for my blood.

What are your thoughts? Does an SE do the trick?

Thinking about cashing out and grabbing an SE locally at GC.

YI6H715.jpg

MzWLa9R.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations! CORE guitars are special.

Take your new guitar to GC and compare it to the SE version.

My guess is your Core guitar will blow away the SE.

I was nervous after purchasing my CORE PRS Stripped 58 online and had some remorse.

Until it arrived.

Then I compared it to my excellent SE Bernie Marsdens and found that the CORE model was on a higher level altogether, just like everyone said it would be.

Better wood, more resonant, MUCH better pickups.

More mojo. More magic!

Last edited:
Hello all!

New to the board. Have been after a PRS since I was a kid and I am finally in the position to grab one now (at the ripe age of 38). I found one locally for, what I considered to be, a good deal considering prices new. $2950.

I am having a bit of buyers remorse, frankly, given how dang expensive it was and not maybe giving the SE's a go prior to my plunge into the wonderful world. I am, after all, a bedroom hobbyist and I fear that this Core, while beautiful and nice, may be a bit rich for my blood.

What are your thoughts? Does an SE do the trick?

Thinking about cashing out and grabbing an SE locally at GC.
Welcome to the forum!

I've gone through the same thing in the past (at the ripe age of 54).

First, the recent versions of the SE line are pretty fabulous; upgrade the pickups and electronics and you'll have a life-long guitar. By comparison the Core versions feel different (some like it, some don't), and differ from the SE mainly in the details. Much has been written on the diminishing returns of a guitar in this situation.

It really boils down to being honest with yourself. How are you planning on using it, what you'll be happy/comfortable with, etc.

Sounds like you found a great deal on the Core. In your situation, I'd take your Core to a shop that has an SE you like, then A/B them yourself. Which one makes you smile more?

Honestly, most of us could make a lifetime of great music on an SE (Dave Grissom has been gigging his SE model for some time now). However, owning a finely crafted guitar like the Core is a wonderful thing too.

Either way you go, enjoy your new guitar!

~M

P.S. If you have a chance, check out the SE Zach Myers signature model; that's one of my favorites in the SE line ;)

Congratulations! CORE guitars are special.

Take your new guitar to GC and compare it to the SE version.

My guess is your Core guitar will blow away the SE.

I was nervous after purchasing my CORE PRS Stripped 58 online and had some remorse.

Until it arrived.

Then I compared it to my excellent SE Bernie Marsdens and found that the CORE model was on a higher level altogether, just like everyone said it would be.

Better wood, more resonant, MUCH better pickups.

More mojo. More magic!
I will probably make a trip today or tomorrow.

I have looked at a ton of guitars over the years. Fender, Gibson, Ibanez, Music Man; this PRS Custom 24 Core really feels like home. It just sucks that "home" is so expensive!

Holy smokes that is a beauty!

If you downgrade THAT to an SE, Santa will not visit you this Christmas.
LMAO!

Yea, I know. The dude I bought it from kept going on and on about it basically being a 10-top, but it's not a 10-top.

It really is beautiful. Plays wonderfully as well.

Only one small area of de-lamination on the treble side of the headstock.

Other than that, it is literally mint. Case candy and all.

I actually called PRS and I think they are going to cover the spot under warranty.

I was in between mine, and this guitar:

This is on consignment here in MA / RI. The owner would have taken $2800, but there was a bit of checking and marking. Seemed rich for the condition it was in, so I passed and picked up the one I bought for $2900.

I will probably make a trip today or tomorrow.

I have looked at a ton of guitars over the years. Fender, Gibson, Ibanez, Music Man; this PRS Custom 24 Core really feels like home. It just sucks that "home" is so expensive!
After reading through your replies-- and seeing the photos(!!!)-- it seems that the only real bug is the price you paid. From a guy who's been around the block a few times, what seems an extravagant price now, will seem to be a bargain in 5-years.

Put the price behind you (the painful part is behind you, as the money has been spent), and dedicate some real time getting to know the guitar. You'll be happy you did.

Recently I sat down and reflected on what I want from a guitar. I've owned A LOT of very nice guitars over the years, but now that I'm retired I wanted to simplify my life, and sold most of my gear. Then with specifics in mind, I decided to purchase a new DGT. Even promised my wife that this would be the last guitar I buy. The cost was more than I'd ever imagined spending on a guitar, but this was my "one-&-done". Essentially, one fine guitar rather than several good guitars.

Your Custom 24 is an outstanding PRS, and when you A/B with the SE, you'll know for sure which one you will be happiest with. A bag of donuts says you will know with absolute certainty a matter of seconds after picking up the SE that you like the Core better ;)

Beautiful. Congrats. Only reason that is not a "10", is due to the interruptions in the flame. The depth seans 10 to me
"Interruptions"...now that's a great way to describe it. To me, those unique 'interruptions' gives the top more visual interest and makes it special compared to the perfect flame (which are wonderful in their own right). That top is a 10+ in my book :D

"Interruptions"...now that's a great way to describe it. To me, those unique 'interruptions' gives the top more visual interest and makes it special compared to the perfect flame (which are wonderful in their own right). That top is a 10+ in my book :D
It’s certainly got some rock n’ roll in its flame. Fantastic individual.

The Custom 24 is the OG PRS. Mine is from 2001 and still blows me away every time I pick it up. It is truly a desert island guitar as several others have said and if I could only keep one guitar in my stable it would be that one. While the SE models are nice, the Cores are in a different league. You will forget how much you spent after some time. Play the heck out of that thing!

Back