NGD...I bought a 2007 PRS SC245, and...

This is the actual guitar that got shipped to me...
I checked the scale length and it's a 25 inch scale. I just sent the serial number off to the crew at PRS, so hopefully I'll get some confirmation today.
I think I'm gonna call this a win/win regardless.
With the exception of the clouding, this guitar is a 8.5/9 out 10 condition wise.
Time to throw her in the bench and remove the pickups and install some passive pickups. What do you think fellas:
- double black humbuckers
- double nickle covered humbuckers
- black bridge/ nickel covered neck humbucker combo

HELL, YEAH! OG 2000 Singlecut!
My favorite year. Great tops and great tones.
That scale length was the only one you could originally get until they split the Singlecut into SC250s and SC245s.
Love it.

I’m going to be controversial and say DOUBLE WHITES. Just for the sexy look. So…non-PRS pickups, unfortunately.

But if we are sticking with PRS, my choice would be nickel covered 57/08s just because they are easy to find and have a classic sound.

Or try and find a set of whatever pickups that model originally came with.

If you want black pickups, the black covered DW tomahawks that are in the DW ce24 are killer pickups. Very versatile and some of my favs. I've always wondered how they'd sound in a SC?

More classic, I'd either go a 5708 set or a 5909 bridge and 5708 neck combo. Probably my favorite PRS combo is 5909 bridge and 5708 or 5815LT neck.

Got a reply back from Beth at PTC:

"Hi Jason,

Thank you for contacting PRS Guitars.

Serial# 0 51423 is a 2000 Singlecut, with a Flame Maple 10-top, Mahogany neck with a Wide-Fat profile, East Indian Rosewood fretboard with bird inlays, Straight stoptail bridge, PRS# 7 treble and bass pickups, finished in Amber, with nickel hardware.

I hope this information finds you well. We appreciate your interest in PRS.

Have a great week,
Beth
Customer Service
Paul Reed Smith Guitars"

Also finished up the surgery on this beauty. She now sounds like a rock n roll dream!
I found a hot mess inside the control cavity, but nothing I couldn't handle. I'm just glad the original 3 way switch still had all the braided Gavit wire still attached. I completely gutted her and installed somm Bournes 500k potentiometers, and a .33(bridge) & .15(neck) Russian PIO caps, and wired her up with a Les Paul 50's style wiring. Pickup wise, I ended up installing a Seymour Duncan Jazz in the neck, and a Greenville Vertigo humbucker in the bridge position. I actually bought a set of the Vertigos from Todd but I'm going to install a nickel cover on the neck pup and wax pot it before I install it. The Vertigo pickups maybe my new jam, they are humbuckers with both A8 & Ceramic magnets and they sound awesome. I rolled the volume down to about 7.5 and it's spot on like I want.
I also installed a fresh set of PRS McCarty pickup rings, and a PRS Aluminum truss rod cover.

Here are some pics I took for you guy's while I was overhauling this beauty.

Last edited:
Got a reply back from Beth at PTC:

"Hi Jason,

Thank you for contacting PRS Guitars.

Serial# 0 51423 is a 2000 Singlecut, with a Flame Maple 10-top, Mahogany neck with a Wide-Fat profile, East Indian Rosewood fretboard with bird inlays, Straight stoptail bridge, PRS# 7 treble and bass pickups, finished in Amber, with nickel hardware.

I hope this information finds you well. We appreciate your interest in PRS.

Have a great week,
Beth
Customer Service
Paul Reed Smith Guitars"

Also finished up the surgery on this beauty. She now sounds like a rock n roll dream!
I found a hot mess inside the control cavity, but nothing I couldn't handle. I'm just glad the original 3 way switch still had all the braided Gavit wire still attached. I completely gutted her and installed somm Bournes 500k potentiometers, and a .33(bridge) & .15(neck) Russian PIO caps, and wired her up with a Les Paul 50's style wiring. Pickup wise, I ended up installing a Seymour Duncan Jazz in the neck, and a Greenville Vertigo humbucker in the bridge position. I actually bought a set of the Vertigos from Todd but I'm going to install a nickel cover on the neck pup and wax pot it before I install it. The Vertigo pickups maybe my new jam, they are humbuckers with both A8 & Ceramic magnets and they sound awesome. I rolled the volume down to about 7.5 and it's spot on like I want.

Here are some pics I took for you guy's while I was overhauling this beauty.
Nice work.
Likewise this morning I gutted my Bernie that also came with a set of EMG 81/60 in it and a similar wiring mess.
Really didn't like the sound of the EMG at all.

Outstanding job! Looks great! I'm a fan of the jazz neck myself. It's a default pickup for me. Thats my cap combo too for a custom job on a SC or LP type guitar. I also like the hybrid magnet idea. That's one of the things that make the DW tomahawks unique.

I'd like this guitar!

I get it. I have 3 and one of the 250 with a BRW neck.:)
Nice! Never played a Core 250 or 245...hence why I bought the 245. I guess this beauty showing up instead of a 245 is a sign for me to stick with O.G. Singlecut's
Yeah man! 2000 SC in the house! Love that top, and that last picture of the fretboard looks awesome
I actually wiped the fingerboard down with napatha and re-oiled it, and it looked even better.
Congrats , Singlecuts rock!
Thank you!
Congrats! I'd call it a win too.. I dig it.
Thank you!
Nickel cover neck, zebra bridge. Oh and if you want to get picky, Paul’s bridge the one with brass inserts.
I went with the nickel cover neck, & black bridge pup.
Congrats, that's killer!
Thank you.
Wow optional flamed tail on the cat, interesting……..
Yeah he's a lynx point siamese. I have a snowshoe siamese as well. They both came from the same mom, but father-wise, they are on the "Hoosier Daddy " program. A nurse I used to work with found them abandoned in her barn when they were babies and asked me if I wanted to give them a forever home, so she just gave them to me. They are really good cats...until I start restringing guitars, then I have to lock them in a room.
5708 neck, 5909 bridge. So nickel neck, squabbin black bridge. That’s how I’d roll anyway.
I have a set of 59/09's in my 97 CU24, I'm not a big fan of the 57/08's. I've owned 2 sets and sold them. I play with alot of gain, and they get really mushy when I used my DigiTech Drop pedal.
I’m going to be controversial and say DOUBLE WHITES. Just for the sexy look. So…non-PRS pickups, unfortunately.

But if we are sticking with PRS, my choice would be nickel covered 57/08s just because they are easy to find and have a classic sound.

Or try and find a set of whatever pickups that model originally came with.
I'm on the fence about going double black
If you want black pickups, the black covered DW tomahawks that are in the DW ce24 are killer pickups. Very versatile and some of my favs. I've always wondered how they'd sound in a SC?

More classic, I'd either go a 5708 set or a 5909 bridge and 5708 neck combo. Probably my favorite PRS combo is 5909 bridge and 5708 or 5815LT neck.
I've heard alot of great things about those DW's. So far this Vertigo pickup in the bridge is amazing. I'm going to be installing the Vertigo neck pickup after I put a nickel cover on it, but the devil on my shoulder is saying "dew the dew" and go double black.
Dahumm!
What a score.
Super sweet deal you got there.
Thank you

Outstanding job! Looks great! I'm a fan of the jazz neck myself. It's a default pickup for me. Thats my cap combo too for a custom job on a SC or LP type guitar. I also like the hybrid magnet idea. That's one of the things that make the DW tomahawks unique.

I'd like this guitar!
I buy all my electronics from a guy on eBay called ToneMan guitars. He also has his own website. The shelf in my music room closet is stocked with stuff from him, and pickups. I actually have two more guitars to wire up. I also bought an extra set of electronics that's on standby for when I find my unicorn whale blue singlecut lol.

Back