NGD: Custom 24 and some questions

loocnmad

Specializing in Dental Law
Hi everyone, first time poster here.

After 20+ years of looking for "the one", I finally got my dream guitar, Custom 24 10 top in purple iris. So far the playability is everything I hoped and it lives up to all the expectations. Forum rules say to make three posts before adding links so I'll update with pics soon.

That said, there are a couple of things I'm curious about. I don't know if it's the case or the nitro finish but there's a strange almost fishy smell. I can still smell it on my hands after I'm done playing. Anyone else noticed this? I have other nitro guitars but never noticed anything like this. Honestly I was a little disappointed when I heard about the change since I prefer the durability of poly.

Also, the pickups are surprisingly noisy. I know touching the metal parts grounds it but it's enough that playing clean you can hear it pretty noticeably while letting the strings ring out. It's causing audible pops on the switch. Usually I would say that's a shielding issue but I A/B'd some other unshielded HH guitars and it's significantly noisier.

I ordered from out of state and would hate to have to ship it back on day 2.

Congratulations on the new guitar. Happy you found one to your liking - purple iris was a color gone too soon, as it's no longer available. The "fishy" smell is foreign to me, never had this happen in my experiences. In my experiences, my new guitars have a semi-sweet and woody smell and the lacquer never lingered on me. I'd suggest letting it air out from the case to see if it subsides.

As far as the pickups, it may be an issue in the wiring that may need to be looked at. Wouldn't say it should be shipped back, but may be worth a look-over from a local tech to iron out the kinks.

Looking forward to pics and hope you enjoy it in good health!

Part of the reason I held out for so long was I missed the rich deep colors from when I first saw PRS back in the mid to late 90's. There seems to be a period where they switched to a more faded theme. I knew when I saw it that was the one for me.

Re the smell, that's been my experience, too. I have three nitro guitars from other brands. They all have that same sort of sweet smell. I'm wondering if maybe it's the glue from the case.

Hit 3 posts, here goes
M46yhF6.jpeg

jazOsV9.jpeg

ZnzV0AU.jpeg

04b8Qix.jpeg

Fishy smell? Yuch! Some people do have stinky sweat, homes and habits sometimes and the guitar and guitar case can absorb that.

Cigarette smell is hard to get rid of but it fades away eventually and your guitar starts smelling like you and your home eventually.

Don't know what to tell you about the hum or noise other than if it pretty much disappears when you touch the strings it's not the ground.

You'll need to open up the back and move around all the wires and play with the controls and switch and see if you can locate the problem.

Might just be a dirty volume or tone control or dirty or worn contacts on the switch.

Fishy smell? Yuch! Some people do have stinky sweat, homes and habits sometimes and the guitar and guitar case can absorb that.

Cigarette smell is hard to get rid of but it fades away eventually and your guitar starts smelling like you and your home eventually.

Don't know what to tell you about the hum or noise other than if it pretty much disappears when you touch the strings it's not the ground.

You'll need to open up the back and move around all the wires and play with the controls and switch and see if you can locate the problem.

Might just be a dirty volume or tone control or dirty or worn contacts on the switch.
It's brand new so I'm leaning towards the glue used in the case causing the smell. It's not overwhelming, just nitpicky.

I'll probably rewire it to a 3 pos switch with either coil taps or series parallel switches so I'll see if any shielding needed then. Need to play it for a few months and really get to know it before I decide on the wiring. Flame maple pickup rings and back plates are already on they way :)

Great guitar, congrats! While I was not a fan of purple iris when seeing it online, I recently purchased a 2022 Tremonti in purple iris and have been blown away at the top in person. Your guitar looks great in the photos, so I can only imagine how amazing it looks in person. Awesome acquisition.

It's brand new so I'm leaning towards the glue used in the case causing the smell. It's not overwhelming, just nitpicky.

I'll probably rewire it to a 3 pos switch with either coil taps or series parallel switches so I'll see if any shielding needed then. Need to play it for a few months and really get to know it before I decide on the wiring. Flame maple pickup rings and back plates are already on they way :)
Do the partial split mods PRS currently uses. Instead of turning one coil completely off, use a resistor between the switch and ground. Sounds much better. There’s info on YouTube. Worth a search. I’ve posted about it here as well.

My Vela (first year) had fishy smell, it was a bit wierd actually. I’ve heard some kind of super light weight wood (can’t remember what it’s called) has a smell like that and my Vela was extremely light so I suspected they might have used that for the guitar but I don’t really know. None of my other PRS guitars, nitro or not, has had that smell.

From time to time , I have had new PRS with a fishy smell , it goes away pretty quickly , its the fretboard oil not the finish.
Leave the guitar out for a few days or just clean and re oil the fret board , if the smell is in the case , baking soda in a bowl works wonders.
As far as the noise goes , possibly a dirty switch or slightly loose pot , loose ground wire.
Open the control cover and check the pots are tight 100% they and cause excess noise.
Otherwise contact the seller ( dealer ? ) or PRS customer service.
LOVE that color , Congrats

Back