NGD ('14 SE ZM) & first family pic...

atreyu2112

Finally got my Zach Myers! Got the Phase III tuners on it, but scratched the fretboard at the 2nd fret, haha. (all the strings were off, and I stood it clumsily while reaching for a tool, ug).

10177405_450463721723485_1943073196815754293_n.jpg

And my first family photo... 2004 CE-22, 2014 S2 Singlecut & the 2014 Zach Myers.

10151392_451053238331200_4755275371421770849_n.jpg

I'm a happy man in sonic bliss. Love them all like children, haha!

Beautiful group! What's your take on the S2 Singlecut? I like the concept, but was a little disappointed by the S2 Custom 24

I LOVE the S2 Singlecut! Love, love love it. I'm not sure I trust the SE bridge on the S2 Customs ... but the S2 Singlecut just rocks. No tuning issues (obviously). Bridge feels to be the same as a core stop tail/wrap-around (my buddy has a core Custom 22 with a stop tail/wrap-around) Not too heavy, not too light. Love the pattern regular neck, very comfy. I actually like the feel of the bevel top better than the carved top. And the pick-ups are great. Different enough from the Dragon IIs, but still just as nice & organic.

Honestly, I am shocked I seem to be the only one with a S2 Singlecut. SHOCKED. I thought these things would be selling like the SE Zach Myers are, lol. I like it so much I want another. That gray/black one on eBay has got my eye...

Gorgeous family you got there! I'm patiently (sort of) waiting for my ZM to arrive and I have been eyeing the S2's for a while now. I just bought a house so the ZM was easier to pay for right now but I hope to get an S2 at some point. How does that S2 compare to the ZM from your experience so far? Tonal quality? Feel?

Thank you for the feedback on the S2 SC. I've only found one place locally that has any S2 guitars, only the Custom 24 & Mira so far.

Very nice.
Yes, eager to hear you opinion on the S2 verses the Zach Myers.
Very nice family photo there.

I have a Zach on order with Sweetwater (like the rest of the universe) but I'm also interested in the S2 Singlecut. Would really appreciate a description of the differences in tone. Specifically, which one sounds more organic. Not really looking for a hot rodded shred machine by any measure......

Nice family!

Honestly, I am shocked I seem to be the only one with a S2 Singlecut. SHOCKED. I thought these things would be selling like the SE Zach Myers are, lol. I like it so much I want another. That gray/black one on eBay has got my eye...

You're the only one because you're the only one that has found one hahaha. I'm waiting for a Cherry Sunburst one, but no luck yet.

Any chance for a Demo on the S2? hahaha there are no good demos yet

Awesome crew you have there! I love the S2 SC in the blue crab, that will be my color choice if I pull the trigger on one of those.

You've got some really nice chevronny goodness on that ZM, very hot. I am not brave enough to try a Phase III operation, going to see how the stock tuners work for awhile and throw on the ones Corey found if I need to.

Wow, thanks for all the positive feedback guys!

I happened to luck out getting my ZM as I got one from the initial batch that had a real shitty top on it (I bought it blind). Returned it, but I knew I HAD to have another. Luckily was able to secure one from batch #2 - through another VERY cool retailer (Lawk Star Guitars - they REALLY hooked me up, props are due). PRS *GREATLY* underestimated the demand for this one. I know they have a lot more on the way, but it will be a few more months, probably June/July before they really get them out there.

As far as comparing the S2 to the ZM ... they're 2 totally different animals entirely.

Despite the ZM having the SE 245 p'ups, I find it to have a real vintage feel & vibe, having more of a warm throaty tone (hard to describe), but it still has a nice output. It still has punch & balls if you need. Very resonant & vibrant. You definitely feel the guitar sing. The first thing I thought of when I first played it was Incubus Morning View Sessions Concert DVD - Mike is using a couple core semi-hollows on there & this guitar is very reminiscent of that tone (to my ears). It's very light weight but that weight is still well balanced. This guitar greatly benefits from the beveled top. I did play a SE Custom Semi-hollow (flat top) and found it to be very uncomfortable for my right forearm. So comfy to rest your arm on this as you play. And hands down the money shot is the satin finish on the back of the neck. Feels like home to me. I can't say enough good things about it really.

The S2 in comparison also sings but in a different way. A bit more of a darker, sharper tone. Not as "earthy" if you will. It has a good weight and is also very well balanced. It's obviously heavier than the ZM, but it's not break-your-back heavy. If you've played ANY of the S2 series, they all have the same neck carve. If you like the neck on any S2, you're already halfway there with getting to know the singlecut. I absolutely LOVE the pattern regular carve, even more so than the wide fat. The top bevel contour also feels very similar to the S2 Custom 22/24 and the Starla. So that also gives you another good idea about the feel. But the body of the singlecut is wider, like a core SC245/Tremonti vs a Custom 22/P22/etc. The only other thing to consider is the #7 p'ups. I really like them. They have great output, they have a vintage yet modern vibe. I'm playing stuff like King's X, Alter Bridge, Rush, AiC ... it covers all that stuff just fine. The volume cleans up nicely. The taps give even more tonal variety. No tuning issues what so ever.

There is this S2 Singlecut in the gray-black that is stunning with a real nice top, and right now they have it priced at $1259! I'd buy it, but I think I'd be outdoors if my wife saw it:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRS-S2-Sing...e-/221399424320?pt=Guitar&hash=item338c6f1d40
I can't believe they still have it.

Brian's also just posted this beauty too:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Paul-Re...A-/121321475189?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c3f52cc75

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
It actually does, and thank you. Oddly enough, I was notified tonight from Sweetwater tonight that my Zach has shipped!

Thanks for the comparison! That is very helpful indeed. I am not sure how I am going to feel about the wide fat neck yet because I haven't played a ZM yet and I'm not in the habit of buying blind but I can't wait for mine to show up. Sweetwater was supposed to receive their shipment on the 22nd but I was then told my shipment would arrive there on the 30th. I think Tommy360 has my guitar! :)

Thanks for the comparison! That is very helpful indeed. I am not sure how I am going to feel about the wide fat neck yet because I haven't played a ZM yet and I'm not in the habit of buying blind but I can't wait for mine to show up. Sweetwater was supposed to receive their shipment on the 22nd but I was then told my shipment would arrive there on the 30th. I think Tommy360 has my guitar! :)

LOL! I probably do have yours! That being said, I was supposed to be in the March group and got shut out........domino effect!

Back