Newbie questions re Silver Sky or Zach Myers.

shane1

I am 50 and want learning guitar now that I am partially retired. I like all types of music with the exception of heavy metal. I have narrowed by search for a guitar to these models:

PRS Silver Sky SE
PRS Zach Myers

They both are similarly priced and I am pretty sure I understand the differences in scale length, pick ups, etc. I only want one guitar. Which would be the most versatile? For an amp, I am considering the Fender Mustang GTX100. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks,

shane

They’re pretty different guitars. Neither is going to do what the other does.

I can tell you to get a Boss Katana over the Mustang tho.
Right, but is one more well rounded than the other. Do you have a preference? Why the Katana? The GTX comes with a pedal, effects loop and is wireless.

Great, the Katana sound interesting. Which model do you like best? The 50 or the 100? Thanks again.

I have not played either, but I have heard good things about the silver sky on another forum I frequent
Just my 2c

Not much help on guitars. I’m 63, started last August. I got an SE Custom 22 and a fender GTX100. It’s a good amp with a lot of tones, presets, you can download presets wirelessly, play backing tracks via Bluetooth…. I sold it after 4 months or so. To many options. I bought a little Mesa boogie tube amp, cause I’d always wanted one. I could have gone Katana as well. Not 200 modeled amps like the GTX100. 6 or however many good tones. If I had a do over, I’d have gotten the katana. It’s also 2/3 the price of the fender. Less used.

I might have gone for the SE silver sky if it had been out. So much rock was performed on a Strat. I think either guitar choice will be good to start. I only wanted one guitar. I just bought a PRS S2 Studio today. Kinda but not really covers some Strat ground, and is a cool guitar. I figure I’ll end up with 3 or4 by the time I’m done.

Direct message me if you want the short list of things I’d do differently. Or ask here and I’ll make it public. It can be the fumbling beginner dad plus aged thread or something.

I'll echo two very different guitars. Either would be a good choice. I'd personally get the ZM if it was only one guitar and my first, but the SSSE is a good guitar too. Eventually you'll end up with both and probably sooner than you think.

Last edited:
Get them both used. Probably could snag both for $1.3k. Considering one new one would cost $850, that’s pretty good.

These two would pair great to learn on and cover much territory. If you want a Swiss knife guitar I’d say get a 24-08. Gives you the single and humbucker sounds.

You know, for the guitar you want I'd recommend getting the one that closer matches to the music you listen to/wish to play. If you listen/wish to play more humbucker style music then get the zach myers. If you listen/wish to play more singlecoil style music then get the silver sky. These two voicings are very different. Maybe listen to some demo's and see which one sounds more like the music you wish to play/learn?

Thank you everyone, I appreciate the feedback. I love all types of classic rock from Clapton, Gilmour, Stones, etc. The 24-08 looks interesting too but I am not sure I want a 24 fret guitar. The neck pickups sound different to me in the videos.

The only way you will be able to decide on what guitar to purchase is to try them both. No forum or video will give you the insight you will need. The guitars will speak to you when you play them.

I’ve never owned a ZM but I’ve had a couple of SE245’s and I have one now (thanks to @Alnus Rubra ) and I also have a SESS. I love them both! Like everyone said…two different animals with completely different tones. So, my answer is both. That said…you can’t go wrong with either. I think of it as by having a great humbucker single cut style and a great single coil “S-Type” guitar ll have all the bases covered that I like to play. Bottom line is they are both very different and you can’t go wrong with either, there is no bad choice…but the choice is totally up to you.

P. S. As far as the amps go. Katana wins hands down in my book. I have a 100MKii and I love it. Really hard to beat for what it is. But I’ll also add I have a Positive Grid Spark amp that gets the most use. Keep in mind…I’m a simpleton that has a couple of single coil tones and a couple of humbucker tones that I play around with 90% of the time. ‘Option paralysis” is real…to me anyway.

Good luck!

Thank you everyone, I appreciate the feedback. I love all types of classic rock from Clapton, Gilmour, Stones, etc. The 24-08 looks interesting too but I am not sure I want a 24 fret guitar. The neck pickups sound different to me in the videos.
Since you mentioned Clapton and Gilmour and they play Strats....the SS fits right in that territory.

I would also suggest the Positive Grid spark. It's a versatile little amp for a good price. I've owned the Spark, Yamaha THR, and Mustang, but not a katana. Out of the three I'd chose the Spark but the THR is a close second. Maybe the THR wins depending on how I use it, example portability and it looks killer. I bought one family member a THR and another the Spark. The Fender is forgotten.

Edit- Although I don't have a Katana I do have the Boss Waza Air. I dig those dang headphones and use them quite a bit, esp for travel. If Katana satisfaction is anything like them at all I'd be a happy owner.

Last edited:
Different in all respects, those two guitars are.

That said...I'd recommend the SE SS. The scale length, pickup design (still humbucking in pos 2 and 4), and option to use the trem makes more versatile than the ZM for a first foray. The SE SS is a tad lighter also.

Then after you've played the **** out of it, you WILL buy the ZM. You'll have to see what its like. Then you'll buy another different one...then a S2 and it will cause much love and joy!

The Katana is the hands down choice of amp though. That's a very Swiss army knife amp for the price.

Good luck and post a pic of your axe when you get it :)

I'll echo what others have said re: The Katana is a great amp, I use it everyday. I find the 50 watt is more than adequate, unless your ultimate goal is playing Arenas, you should have no trouble being heard with the 50. The only advantage the 100 has (I believe) is you can program in more presets (8 vs 4). Not enough of a gamechanger to make it worth it to me

Unless you can get a coil tap on the ZM, two pretty different guitars. The semi hollow body is enough to make them sound very different (though I am partial to the ZM as I own one). For amps, the Katana for sure, but check out the ID series from Blackstar. Fantastic solid state amp and when paired with a tube amp, you get a very rich sound.

Back