New to this forum - Had a very bad night last night at my gig!

Why are PRS buttons so much bigger than everyone elses? I've had the same thing happen with my PRS CE-22 Alder. Shouldn't this be acknowledged as a problem and corrected by PRS?

Always have used Schallers. 20 plus years and NO failures. As for Dunlop's I and a few others have experienced failures on those and had to watch for tiny ball bearings just waiting to take us down. Not cool, Tater!

I don't like the Dunlops, had one fail and dump a Les Paul Custom on me. It's a miracle I didn't lose the headstock. The Schaller ones work nicely and seem to be better made.

Oh man. We've all been there and that's why I won't use a new guitar until it has stap lock buttons installed. We all watched a member here nearly drop a new PRS on stage AT PRS because of a strap failure. Sorry to hear of the damage, but luckily that's all there was.

Welcome to the boards.

That was an interesting performance! Thought I was gonna have to buy myself a newly damaged guitar that day!

Why is it too much to expect guitar manufactuers to fix a problem so that it doesn't have to be dealt with by the customer after the purchase?

Why is it too much to expect guitar manufactuers to fix a problem so that it doesn't have to be dealt with by the customer after the purchase?
Everyone has different preferences on what's best for locks. IMO, PRS went the best route and went with an oversized button. Seems least likely to cause an issue...nothing is failsafe. I've seen every straplock fail for someone. Schaller's are the safest to me and what I use. I may sure to check and retighten once in a while. Lock-tite would probably solve that issue. Dunlops scare me because if the lock mechanism fails, there's nothing to save you.

Welcome to the forum. It is always sad to hear about a guitar getting a ding... We feel your pain.

These responses were posted after you first asked that question.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;124135 said:
Not everyone thinks it's a problem. And, it's a cheap item to change if you don't like it.

I like PRS buttons as well............ safest stock buttons out there. IMHO

Personally, I LIKE the big PRS buttons.

A problem for you is a solution for someone else. Strap buttons have to be the easiest thing anyone could change on a guitar if they don't like them - certainly easier than even restringing a guitar and tuning it.

Change your buttons to something you like and move on. It is unlikely you are going to convince PRS that their existing buttons are defective or any sort of 'problem'.

Last edited:
Could the problem have been that you didn't get the strap on well and it just slid off from the oversized button? My solution to that is to take the button off the guitar and then put the strap on the button from the little end (back) and then put the button back on the guitar. This way you don't have to widen the strap (as some do it) and it is next to impossible to get the strap off even if you want to.

I love the Shallers, squeaks and all. I recently removed them all from all of my guitars and went back to stock buttons, including my McCarty. I no longer play out, I don't get animated, and my straps are all good Levy's. If I played out however, I would have never considered removing them, squeaks and all....

I've also discovered that some straps are two ply leather and have a bit of a separation in the two pieces where they are sewn together, get a button caught in that and it feels secure but is only half way on. To me the PRS buttons or Precision Bass string guides that they appear to be, are the safest stock buttons there are.

Last edited:
I used Schaller strap locks for years and years... but since I've migrated predominantly to PRS guitars over the past four or five years, I've switched all my Schaller strap locks for the over-sized PRS strap buttons; the only guitars I still have Schallers on are my Floyd Strat and my Mira... I use new Levys leather straps, and I unscrew the strap button from the body to put the strap on the guitar... then I simply never, ever take off the strap... The PRS strap buttons hold really well, they're low profile, they don't rattle when you're sitting down like Schallers do (which is just irritating as hell when recording), and I've never had a strap slip over one... in fact, I think I'd have to remove the strap buttons to get most of these straps off my guitars...

Schallers are pot metal and they will crack and fracture. Dunlops are stamped in the relevant areas and do not fracture. If overstressed they bend, but hold. However, I use Levy or Whipping Post straps and for the PRS S2, I just unscrew the factory assembly and reinstall with strap on. As for enlarging for Dunlops, you later make that disappear by inserting a sliver of a toothpick into the hole and dribble in water thin Super Glue. Restored, just as firm as new.

What he said !
Obviously... I personally have played PRS guitars probably longer than just about anyone else on the planet ;-)
I have NEVER had a PRS guitar slip off the strap EVER. In fact I install PRS strap buttons on every non-PRS guitar I own.
The key is to make sure it is completely on the strap button. Sometimes with a new strap this is a challenge. Do what AP515 suggests...

Pretty simple...

Oh yeah... another suggestion... if you strap is old and stretched out... buy a new one! It's cheap insurance and you'll lQQk cooler too! ;)

Could the problem have been that you didn't get the strap on well and it just slid off from the oversized button? My solution to that is to take the button off the guitar and then put the strap on the button from the little end (back) and then put the button back on the guitar. This way you don't have to widen the strap (as some do it) and it is next to impossible to get the strap off even if you want to.

I, for one, am not intimidated by another man's (or guitar's) larger knob. It takes a certain confidence...

I may be one of the few who don't like PRS strap buttons. When I got my Brent Mason, I got a nice thick PRS signature strap to go with it, and I couldn't get the strap over the buttons, even after enlarging the slots in the strap. I wound up using Dunlop buttons (without the locks) with the original PRS screws and they work fine. I leave the strap attached at the butt-end of the body, and remove the other end from the bass-side upper bout, draping the strap over the top of the guitar alongside the neck in the case, so I'm always removing the strap at the upper end. So far it's not loosening up at all, and there's no metal on the strap to worry about (I don't like buckles either).

Back