New to the forum, question about Silver Sky neck compared to SAS 25th neck

Midnight

Hi:

New to the forum, but got my first PRS in '96, a Custom Artist Series II (my first love). I also picked up a Swamp Ash Special 25th Anniversary with the Nearfields a few years back. I've been playing the SAS a lot lately and love the neck. I've been playing an American Pro Strat in a band that needs that single coil sound, but am thinking of replacing it with a Silver Sky with the maple fingerboard. I've seen a lot of discussion re the Silver Sky neck but was wondering if anyone had experience with the SAS maple and could compare the feel of the SS to it. Or the American Pro for that matter.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks.

I had an Am Pro prior to my Silver Sky and I’d say it’s a chunkier version of that neck. If blindfolded I’d know immediately which was which without even fully picking it up. My hands are average size at best but since it fills my palm area more, I find it immensely more comfortable and easier for me to play. That could also be the radius as I’m a thumb over the top player. The frets are shorter - but that only took a half day to acclimate to.

Not relevant to your question but I also find the pickups shame the v-mods, I could never get those to my liking.

Thanks for the reply. Which was the chunkier neck?

Good to know on the pickups. I've not had the chance to play one or hear it live.

I had an Am Pro prior to my Silver Sky and I’d say it’s a chunkier version of that neck. If blindfolded I’d know immediately which was which without even fully picking it up. My hands are average size at best but since it fills my palm area more, I find it immensely more comfortable and easier for me to play. That could also be the radius as I’m a thumb over the top player. The frets are shorter - but that only took a half day to acclimate to.

Not relevant to your question but I also find the pickups shame the v-mods, I could never get those to my liking.

Thanks for the reply. Which was the chunkier neck?

Good to know on the pickups. I've not had the chance to play one or hear it live.

silver sky is chunkier - it’s really more of a 60’s Fender C shape (which is a bit obvious as it’s based on Mayer’s 63 and 64 strats). If you’ve ever picked up an American Original 60’s Strat, it’s closer to that, but still better.

Thanks again. That's very helpful.

silver sky is chunkier - it’s really more of a 60’s Fender C shape (which is a bit obvious as it’s based on Mayer’s 63 and 64 strats). If you’ve ever picked up an American Original 60’s Strat, it’s closer to that, but still better.

Welcome to the forum. Feel free to share some photos of your PRS’

This is my Custom Artist Series II. I got a call one day in 1995 from PRS saying that they had an order to build a guitar for me, but I needed to choose the model and how I wanted it. My wife's 40th birthday present to me.
94631883_10223235082527805_2565911508143833088_o.jpg

Very different neck shapes. The SAS will have a very slight V shape, not much of a shoulder to it, deeper.

The SS is shallower front to back, but is more of a C/D shape with prominent shoulders.

The Am Pro will be a slightly shallower C with less shoulder.

The shoulders on the SS make it feel larger and can force your hand to open up wider than the other two. I personally am not a fan, but given the success of the guitar, a lot of people would disagree with me! I find the newer Fender necks much more comfortable and closer to the PRS shapes. If you want the edges to be a little softer, PRS have updated the carve on the 2020 SS with rosewood board.

This is my Custom Artist Series II. I got a call one day in 1995 from PRS saying that they had an order to build a guitar for me, but I needed to choose the model and how I wanted it. My wife's 40th birthday present to me.
94631883_10223235082527805_2565911508143833088_o.jpg

Wow, that is gorgeous. What a wonderful wife!

Back