New guitar day: Limited-edition SE Custom 24 laurel burl exotic top. Wow!

GlockandRoll

Ok, so I'm in love with an SE. Is it ok to admit that?

I had a horrible experience with a DGT SE that I purchased new and was basically soured on the line, until I came across this in trade tonight.

It's a limited-edition SE Custom 24 laurel burl exotic top, which I believe they made 1500 of five years ago. The pickups have been swapped to an SD and Pariah, and as good as it sounds, I'm considering it an upgrade. If I had to describe what this is like to play and hear, it plays like an SG with a vibrato but sounds like a fat Tele from hell. And in no way is that sad.

The only thing I'm going to do is re-string with Paradigm Hybrid Slinkys, put on speed knobs, and maybe swap the push-pull knob for a push-push.

I also want locking tuners, so which ones should I order for this guitar?

Honestly, I haven't fallen this hard for a guitar the day I brought it home in a long time.
I'll never get rid of this one - ever.

SE-Exotic-Top-Cover-photo.jpg

Last edited:
PRS makes some decent locking tuners for the SE's
they work good and are PRS Branded
I have swapped all of my SE's to them

also look at John Mann's SE locking tuners
He modifies the PRS brand
So they will look stock and are supposed to be a bit better than PRS

Last edited:
Nice! Just remember, swap and upgrade are not the same. Live with the pickups for a month before you do nothing. You do have knobs on your amp to get you there.
I didn't say anything about swapping the pickups. They were already swapped and sound great.
I'm adding locking tuners and changing the push/pull to push/push for the bridge tap.

Back