Neck Joint discolored. Is that a big problem?

Yulin Huang

I just got a used PRS Custom 24. The guitar plays fine but I found out that there is some discoloring on the neck joint.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z9ongqs5fl6sady/20140717_080838.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6tp04o2negwhl8g/20140717_080841.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gib4bvop8lfdegl/20140717_080846.jpg

I did some research about this but did not find to much useful information out there. Some say "a milky discoloration under the finish (at the neck joint) that indicate movement of the neck prior to the adhesive curing". Some say the guitar was hanging on the wall for a long time (in store) and significant climate change will cause that.

Any one has any idea how this happens and is it potentially a big problem? My other questions are does it worth to repair it? Where can I get it repair and how much will it cost me?

Thank you.

Looks like "finish pop" to me. That usually happens when the neck joint is stressed - after the paint has cured.

That guitar will probably be fine for the rest of its life. That said, it will make it hard to sell. if it bugs you, send it to the PTC for inspection or return it and get something else.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;156547 said:
Looks like "finish pop" to me. That usually happens when the neck joint is stressed - after the paint has cured.

That guitar will probably be fine for the rest of its life. That said, it will make it hard to sell. if it bugs you, send it to the PTC for inspection or return it and get something else.

Thanks for your response. You indicated that it might happen when the neck joint is stressed after the paint has cured, do you mean it is a manufacturing problem or improper storage problem?

Any idea what will it cost to have it fixed? Thanks again.

Thanks for your response.

You're welcome.

You indicated that it might happen when the neck joint is stressed after the paint has cured, do you mean it is a manufacturing problem or improper storage problem?

Neither. It's a "someone ran over the case with a truck" problem. Or walked through a door way with the guitar hanging around their neck. Or... well... you get the picture.

Any idea what will it cost to have it fixed? Thanks again.

I don't. No one else will either. Contact the PRS Tech Center. Once they inspect the guitar, they can give you a price. All else is a guess.

Some say the guitar was hanging on the wall for a long time (in store) and significant climate change will cause that.
I don't have any comment to your post except about this part of it. Maybe it's a pet peeve of mine. The neck is already holding over 100 pounds of tension from the guitar strings. Hanging it from the head stock, even for long periods, isn't going to do anything.

I don't have any comment to your post except about this part of it. Maybe it's a pet peeve of mine. The neck is already holding over 100 pounds of tension from the guitar strings. Hanging it from the head stock, even for long periods, isn't going to do anything.

Plus one to this !!!
I have hung my guitars for 30+ years my Lester has been hanging for 25 years ( I take it down to play once and awhile ;) )
As for guitar looks like to much neck bending or drop damage might be fine but I would get it looked at.
I believe the PRS charges $80 round trip for shipping
Call or email PRS they are nice folk :)

Last edited:
Thanks for all your replies. I never hang an expensive guitar on the wall for storage and my guitar room is climate controlled. So I have no idea what will happen hanging a guitar on a non-climate controlled room.

The guitar looks and plays nice though. And there is no visible dents or dings which can indicate it has been abused. I just need to make sure it is not a big problem. And if it cost not much to fix it, I will have it fixed.

I don't hang my guitars on the wall either. I wouldn't do that any more than hang my wife and kids on the wall.

I keep my guitars in cases, just as I do my wife and kids. :)

My brand new Paul's Guitar had the same exact problem with the finish....right out of the box. The obvious finish issue on my guitar was said to have been somewhat common with many of the Paul's Guitars that were being made around the same time. :dontknow:
So, after a lot of consulting with Shawn and Matt, I sent the guitar back to the factory and, because it was a V12 issue, I was told that they had to do a complete refinish job on it in order to do it right!
It took about seven weeks before it came back, but it was well worth the wait. The guitar still looked brand new and factory fresh, however it now had absolutely no trace of that milky finish flaw that had once made a stunning brand new guitar look a bit "cheezey".
By the way......the PTC Team Rocks! :adore:

:shakehands:

The PTC team is the BEST.

They just do a brilliant job. They're a major reason I am so thoroughly comfortable with PRS guitars, regardless of their price point. I know I'm going to get taken care of.

My brand new Paul's Guitar had the same exact problem with the finish....right out of the box. The obvious finish issue on my guitar was said to have been somewhat common with many of the Paul's Guitars that were being made around the same time. :dontknow:
So, after a lot of consulting with Shawn and Matt, I sent the guitar back to the factory and, because it was a V12 issue, I was told that they had to do a complete refinish job on it in order to do it right!
It took about seven weeks before it came back, but it was well worth the wait. The guitar still looked brand new and factory fresh, however it now had absolutely no trace of that milky finish flaw that had once made a stunning brand new guitar look a bit "cheezey".
By the way......the PTC Team Rocks! :adore:

So you mean it is a finish problem. You sent it back to PTC to have them fix it. How much did it cost you? Or it's just covered by the warranty? Mine is a 2013 PRS Custom 24. Thanks.

Since my guitar was brand new and I was the original owner, there was absolutely no charge for the fix. PRS even paid for the cost to ship it back to the factory.
If you are the original owner and bought it from an authorized dealer, I'd recommend that you contact customer service to find out if the repair would be covered under warranty.

Since my guitar was brand new and I was the original owner, there was absolutely no charge for the fix. PRS even paid for the cost to ship it back to the factory.
If you are the original owner and bought it from an authorized dealer, I'd recommend that you contact customer service to find out if the repair would be covered under warranty.

I'm not the original owner. I get it from the original owner though. Now I have a choice to get it fixed by PTC (the original owner pay for the cost if it's not too much) or return it to the original owner.

I don't hang my guitars on the wall either. I wouldn't do that any more than hang my wife and kids on the wall.

I keep my guitars in cases, just as I do my wife and kids. :)

:rofl:

Thank you for all your help!

Almost forgot to post the result here. PTC got back to me, indicating that "It appears it is just finish pop at the neck joint and the structural integrity has not been compromised. To repair this would require a complete refinish which has a cost of $1200".

I'm not the original owner. I get it from the original owner though. Now I have a choice to get it fixed by PTC (the original owner pay for the cost if it's not too much) or return it to the original owner.

So will you be returning it to the original owner?

Woooooo! :confused:

For $1200, I think I'd just live with it, and hope that it doesn't get worse.

If the "discoloration" really bothers you, you could try touching up the affected areas with a brown Sharpie. This is only a cosmetic cover-up and, if not done properly, the "fix"could look a lot worse than the discoloration.

If the finish issue really really really bothers you, you could return it to the seller! However, keep in mind that, if you choose this option, you may eventually regret it, especially if you got a good deal on a great playing and great sounding guitar!

I wish you the best on your decision!

Back