NAD My "Death Star" is nearly complete!

Steve B

In November I acquired my first PRS and have been surrounding it with new and better components bit by bit.

So my NAD (new amp day) consists of a Mesa Rectoverb 25 Head from Craigslist in MN and the matching Slant cab from Ebay in SE Indiana.....and now my "Death Star" is 90% operational! (rubs hands sinisterly) MUHAHAHAHAHAW!!!!!!
Gonna add another straight cabinet with cream fabric and then look out as my PRS/MESA mini-stack plan will have reached fruition!

.__480_672_DSC06422acWEB.jpg

Thanks to CoreyT and Sleary for unknowingly feeding me vibes on Mesas....I'm loving this amp coupled with my sweet sweet 57/08s!

All this quality gear for a combined total that was less than the price of just a 2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional alone (which is what I WAS going to buy) has me absolutely "OVER THE MOON!"

Sorry to shout this from your mountaintop gang, but bragging to my wife about this setup is about as satisfying as her bragging to me about the deal she got on an expensive pair of boots or a handbag at the outlet mall...so you guys get to hear it :p

Steve (aka Lord Vader)

May the force be with you.
Glad we were an influence on your Death Star.
I dig the looks of the new lunchbox size Mesa coupled with a slant and straight cabs.

Very nice looking setup.

Your welcome....I to am guilty of adding to gas lol....Mesa are a great product imo however Prs archons might just be on the spring list too lol

Income tax needs to be done lol

Rockin' combo. Congrats. And don't worry. You can preach to the choir as much as you want to.

All this quality gear for a combined total that was less than the price of just a 2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional
In my view, PRS is hands down the best value for the money in the $600-$800 guitar market. And congrats on finding an affordable Mesa. I got the Express 5:50+ back in may for $1250. may I ask what the used Rectoverb ran you off of Craigslist?

In my view, PRS is hands down the best value for the money in the $600-$800 guitar market. And congrats on finding an affordable Mesa. I got the Express 5:50+ back in may for $1250. may I ask what the used Rectoverb ran you off of Craigslist?

Sure...I got the Rectoverb25 Head for $775 which included shipping. The Cabinet popped up locally on Ebay and I snapped it up for $350...so $1125 for the whole combo. Pretty pleased with that as both pieces have all the original packaging, manuals, hang tags, dust covers and years remaining on their transferable warrantees. There isn't a nick/scratch/dent on any of them and they look fresh out of the box. Craigs and Ebay deals come with inherent risks but if you're careful and a bit lucky the rewards can be worth it.

That is a great deal on your Mesa setup.
I have $2.4K into my Mark Five 25 head and two Mini Rec slant/regular cabs.

That's a sweet deal. I think I got about $900 on my rig. Ok so ya I had the cabinet already lol

I'd go Mesa cabs but I prefer eminence speakers over celestion.

Last edited:
That is a great deal on your Mesa setup.
I have $2.4K into my Mark Five 25 head and two Mini Rec slant/regular cabs.

Yeah Corey, I was torn between the Recto25 and the MK5 25 and was searching ebay/craigs for both....the Recto showed up first and (as you said) at a "Nice Price"! Not really a fair "Race" as the Recto25 is older and I was more likely to find one being sold off to finance somebody else's MK5 25 but so be it. Both are good Amps each with unique strengths so it was a win for me either way it turned out. Liking the Recto25 at the moment. Gonna take me a while to find all the tones lurking inside the box though!

That's a sweet deal. I think I got about $900 on my rig. Ok so ya I had the cabinet already lol

I'd go Mesa cabs but I prefer eminence speakers over celestion.

I have the benefit of being an AMP speaker neophyte so the old "I don't know what I'm missing" thing is working for me at the moment. :)

You mention the PRS Archon...and I was considering those as well...but the Mesa just caught my eye and ear this round. I'd really like to hear an Archon first hand...or maybe I shouldn't given the whole best to not know what I'm missing notion!
;-)

I'm gonna score another straight Mesa cab in the next couple months and see how the mini stack works for me. Where I go from there is anybody's guess!

Great set up!
I have the Rectoverb 25 combo version paired up with my PRS cu24.

Back