This is my first post

TheDudeRN

Greetings my new PRS friends. Last week I bought a PRS SE Paul's guitar in this beautiful Green Marine color I don't know why just when I walked in I couldn't walk out without it. While there were guitars in there that cost a lot more from PRS and other brands I was just drawn to this one. The neck is amazing and fast the pickups I can work with my only issue so far is when I tune the tuner pegs they feel flimsy to me I am a big guy and very strong. I saw a few posts about changing these out and found some that I like my guitar has black tuner Keys which is kind of unique so I wanted to keep that look the Keystone black I picked some Gotha tuners, and ask the seller if they were a direct fit he said do your homework I am sure it is already been done a few hundred times so I'm not a fan of going out and remeasuring holes that somebody has remeasured or already knows the value of. In my opinion we have gone to a state where people sell stuff they have no idea what it does. So my question is if the Gotha sd90 is a direct fit I would like them to be black on black I just prefer the look and with the Black Keys I think it will look good I just want not to be drilling holes in a guitar that is this nice unnecessarily. I used to be quick to jump on changing pickups but have become more of a fan of changing capacitors I have heard that there is a common change to the bridge and neck pickup capacitors that these guitars come with to get a little bit heavier sound my genre is blues and metal, not this stuff that I'm watching everyone play on PRS guitars although I have seen a couple of heavy metal players shred on their pro's. If you have some good advice and are positive please feel free to respond if you're going to trash me or be negative please just move along I'm not sensitive and I'm not a baby but I'm trying to avoid conflict it's part of my anger management LOL.

Yeah I know right but I don't know
where I have a URL for a picture and it said not to post any links because of scammers

Welcome to the forum!

I don’t own any SE guitars, so I can’t help you on your question, but I am sure there are folks here who can get you pointed in the right direction.
Thanks to tell you the truth I'm more of a how it feels in my hands and how it sounds kind of guy then deal with labels or stuff like that fit and finish her important how it feels in my hand is important I do a little bit of stuff myself so I know how to make something that's not quite right feel really good but there was just something special about this one in my hand I'm not sure that I'm totally in love with the sound but I will play with that I have lots of Stomp boxes to do things like that

Greetings my new PRS friends. Last week I bought a PRS SE Paul's guitar in this beautiful Green Marine color I don't know why just when I walked in I couldn't walk out without it. While there were guitars in there that cost a lot more from PRS and other brands I was just drawn to this one. The neck is amazing and fast the pickups I can work with my only issue so far is when I tune the tuner pegs they feel flimsy to me I am a big guy and very strong. I saw a few posts about changing these out and found some that I like my guitar has black tuner Keys which is kind of unique so I wanted to keep that look the Keystone black I picked some Gotha tuners, and ask the seller if they were a direct fit he said do your homework I am sure it is already been done a few hundred times so I'm not a fan of going out and remeasuring holes that somebody has remeasured or already knows the value of. In my opinion we have gone to a state where people sell stuff they have no idea what it does. So my question is if the Gotha sd90 is a direct fit I would like them to be black on black I just prefer the look and with the Black Keys I think it will look good I just want not to be drilling holes in a guitar that is this nice unnecessarily. I used to be quick to jump on changing pickups but have become more of a fan of changing capacitors I have heard that there is a common change to the bridge and neck pickup capacitors that these guitars come with to get a little bit heavier sound my genre is blues and metal, not this stuff that I'm watching everyone play on PRS guitars although I have seen a couple of heavy metal players shred on their pro's. If you have some good advice and are positive please feel free to respond if you're going to trash me or be negative please just move along I'm not sensitive and I'm not a baby but I'm trying to avoid conflict it's part of my anger management LOL.
Hi ya, and welcome to the forums!

Ok, on the tuners...no, Gotoh tuners are not a direct fit. You will need to ream the holes for the posts. You wont need much, a sixteenth larger will do. You can drill it larger, but I don't recommend it. Drilling into an existing hole can cause the bit to chew on the wood too much and bind up, especially if you go slow. If you drill it, drill at high speed. I advise, go to Amazon, buy a cheap reamer bit, done.

I also suggest instead of the regular SD90s, get a locking set. If you're gonna do this extra work, might as well go the distance. I recommend the mag-lock types.

I don't have much to say concerning capacitors. In most wiring schemes, capacitors only do anything if you use your tone knob. If you don't touch it, changing it out won't help you. If you want to go heavier on the tone, you need pickups with high output. SE Paul's use TCI(s) pickups. They are fairly hot at 11.5(ish)k ohms, regardless of position. They can certainly handles blues and metal, but I look at them as jack of all trades pickups, but still very good pickups. However, if you are going for something more specific you'll want to invest in pickups that are more specialized towards a certain tone or genre.

Hope that answers your queries and if you need more advice, we're all here to help. Everyone here is cool. You can DM me too. I don't bite......much.

Last edited:
I nodded my PG with Phase III tuners and they fit perfect after I made a tiny countersink on the back of the head stock. I posted pictures a couple years ago here.

Don't use a drill like I did. There is little control of how fast it eats the wood and I went much deeper in .5 seconds than I intended. Use a hand twist reamer. I just bought some for $12 off Amazon due to another post (thanks!)

Looking forward to a pic or two. Imgur has worked great for me.

Writing tip...line space some of your sentences. It will make your post much easier to read. No diss there only a suggestion.

Good luck and welcome!

ok, so you should almost have enough posts for pics or links now so I read a little into this ;)
if the tuners turn too lightly, tighten the phillips screws on the outside a little.

ok, so you should almost have enough posts for pics or links now so I read a little into this ;)
if the tuners turn too lightly, tighten the phillips screws on the outside a little.
, you got a picture of that LOL good morning my friend

, you got a picture of that LOL good morning my friend
KdV0Er4.jpg

Well a few years ago I hardly ever did anything but put the tone knob to 10 but now I play with it all the time

Reactions: jxe
I haven't seen a forum where I have to link something to an HTTP or URL in decades why are we having to do that in this modern time curious obviously you have a source where you keep your photos how do I do that also I don't think these little tuners have a screw at the end of the tuning peg like that I think they're pressed on

I haven't seen a forum where I have to link something to an HTTP or URL in decades why are we having to do that in this modern time curious obviously you have a source where you keep your photos how do I do that also I don't think these little tuners have a screw at the end of the tuning peg like that I think they're pressed on
oh, yea, Paul's guitar has vintage tuners...
I use imgur.com to post pics here...

Imgur and Post Image are a couple of popular FREE photo sharing sites. Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your Paul's guitar.

facebook made everyone stupider, so uploads are reserved for private stock friday.

I use imgbb.com. You get a bb code to insert into the text field. I find it easiest and quickest to post photos. Totally free as well.

The "vintage style" tuners are basically Kluson clones. They have a key pressed or molded on the little arm connected to the internal gears on the tuner. If they get loose, there ain't much one can do to tighten it up.

Congrats on the new guitar.

Can't help you w/the mods, but you'll find a lot of knowledge and a lot of people willing to share here.

Hope you like hot dogs and pie (you'll see why eventually).

Back