NAD and a Question

Gnal

Well, yesterday was a NAD for me. A great guy hooked me up with a Paisley Original Sewell head, #4 of 100 according to the back of the amp :biggrin:. It looks great, I'll likely be trying it out with my friend in the next couple days.

So, for my question...

A little background, I've been running a solid state modeling amp for about 12 years, prior to that I used a digital effects rack mounted preamp and rack mounted power amp for maybe 3-4 years. I think I moved from tubes to digital prematurely since at the time my only experience with Tube Amps was a Mesa Duel Rectifier. Great amp, but I had to crank the volume to get good sounds and at the time I did not know about attenuators. Today, I am firmly in the mindset of Tube Amps.

So now that I have an Original Sewell, I'm lost on what Cab I should be on the look out for!

I like the double stack with head look, but the half stack look is cool too. What would you guys recommend of the PRS cabs, since they can also be Paisley, 1 (or 2) 1x12 cabs, 1 4x10 cab or one of the 2x12 cabs? If I went non-paisley I'm pretty sure I'd be looking for a port city 2x12 vertical OS cab... but I'm open to suggestions.

This will mostly be used at home, I may take it out to my friends to Jam on occasion. If we can jam regularly it may turn into something more, but we'll see where that leads.

Oh and no NAD is complete without pics! :rock:

There are so many combinations...and so many configurations. I have tried most of them. :D

By far, my favorite cabinet goes back some time in PRS history. If you are fortunate enough to locate one of the 4X12 cabinets PRS paired with their original "Harmonic Generator solid state amp" I'd say, "go for it". It can sometimes be found on eBay for less than the newer 2X12 cabinets or the 4 X 10 cabs, and I find it to be superior than any of the newer versions. If I'm not mistaken, this is the cabinet that Warren Haynes of Gov't Mule has been using for years.

The current pine PRS Stealth 2x12 is a spectacular cab for nearly all genres. And having played another Recording amp with this cab I can say it matched up very well, but this is a subjective comment and YMMV. Still, I'm in total love with my Stealth 2x12 and am about to sell my Boogie cabs. Anyone that knows me can attest to how strong of a statement this is.

The current pine PRS Stealth 2x12 is a spectacular cab for nearly all genres. And having played another Recording amp with this cab I can say it matched up very well, but this is a subjective comment and YMMV. Still, I'm in total love with my Stealth 2x12 and am about to sell my Boogie cabs. Anyone that knows me can attest to how strong of a statement this is.

Now you have to change your forum name to "Stealth"! :eek:

I recently sold all of my Mesa gear as well... (December). I sold my metal grill 4x12 cab and Roadster head with full rack/switching system and pedalboard... to pick up a PRS HX/DA and Stealth 2x12 cab. I couldn't be happier with my choice! I love the simplicity and ease of getting good sounds from this amp. Plus I don't have to tap dance around anymore... OR bust my back moving 200 pounds of amp again! Try a bunch of cabs with your head and see which one you like best, but the PRS cabs are top notch. Good luck!

I have a Paisley 4x12. I assume it's Pine. I bought it used. Sounds good enough and it was signed by Doug and Paul. I like the look of 2x12's though. I bet they sound great too. Seems everyone is rocking 2x12's when using a PRS head.

How would you guys rate the weight of the 2x12 cabs (Deep and Normal) against the Mesa Cabs? I had a Mesa 4x12 Recto slant cab back in the day as well as a Mesa 2x10 Bass cab. Both weighed a ton and I'm not so sure I could lug something around that is anything near the weight of a Mesa... Now, if it had casters, that could be different :p.

Gnal, the 212 cab that's birch ply is going to be different in weight from the pine 212, as well as in sound. A birch ply cab that's similar to the Mesa in size will weigh a similar amount. The pine will be lighter. And it'll sound a little different.

The finest sounding cab I've ever played ANY amp through was at a friend's studio, a truly vintage Marshall 4 x 12 from the late 60s, with the original speakers. It was beat on the outside, but what a creamy sound!

It's hard to beat a cab that has had 40-plus years of use on stage and in the studio!

There are so many combinations...and so many configurations. I have tried most of them. :D

By far, my favorite cabinet goes back some time in PRS history. If you are fortunate enough to locate one of the 4X12 cabinets PRS paired with their original "Harmonic Generator solid state amp" I'd say, "go for it". It can sometimes be found on eBay for less than the newer 2X12 cabinets or the 4 X 10 cabs, and I find it to be superior than any of the newer versions. If I'm not mistaken, this is the cabinet that Warren Haynes of Gov't Mule has been using for years.

I'm curious as to the speakers in that cab, as well as what it's made of, i.e., birch ply or pine?

One thing about an older cab is that the speakers are probably broken in really well, where the newer cabs might not have as much play, especially if you use a lot of amps and cabs.

What other 4x12s do you use, Bennett?

Gnal, the 212 cab that's birch ply is going to be different in weight from the pine 212, as well as in sound. A birch ply cab that's similar to the Mesa in size will weigh a similar amount. The pine will be lighter. And it'll sound a little different.

The finest sounding cab I've ever played ANY amp through was at a friend's studio, a truly vintage Marshall 4 x 12 from the late 60s, with the original speakers. It was beat on the outside, but what a creamy sound!

It's hard to beat a cab that has had 40-plus years of use on stage and in the studio!

I'm curious as to the speakers in that cab, as well as what it's made of, i.e., birch ply or pine?

One thing about an older cab is that the speakers are probably broken in really well, where the newer cabs might not have as much play, especially if you use a lot of amps and cabs.

What other 4x12s do you use, Bennett?

None, anymore given that they are overkill for my requirements. However, without a lot of knowlege regarding building materials, et. at, the only other 4 X12's I've owned and used were the full stack Soldano cabs that went with my SLO 100 and the 4 X 12 Cornford that went with my Hellcat. Both sets were probably never fully allowed to push the limits of what they were capable of doing. the two cabs that went with the Soldano had built in mike-jacks, and were stadium amps that Heart used in the '80's when touring. They went with an amp that literally went to "11", but I could never really get it above 4.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help and info. I've got much to consider.

How would you guys rate the weight of the 2x12 cabs (Deep and Normal) against the Mesa Cabs?
The PRS cab is WAY lighter. Mine are all old school Boogie vert. 2x12 half backs and weigh easily 50% more than the Stealth. Casters and a couple of handles don't make it any easier to load in and out. ;) I'll also add that I'm not a fan of Mesa cabs with V30s (they always sound too 'modern' for me). The Stealth with V30s broke that stigma for me.

BTW, I'll probably keep one of the 2x12s. Throwing away 25 years of my music history doesn't make complete sense. Don't worry Dane, the MkIII is NEVER going anywhere...and that's my real namesake.

Back