More Random Musings ...

I've been thinking about the guitarists' that have influenced and help shape my playing. This isn't about "the best" or "the greatest", only who was important to yourself.
Here are my top five. Most of them are gone or 300 years old ... whatever.

1. Merle Travis
2. Doc Watson
3. SRV
4. EVH
5. John Renbourn

So, I was out tonite ... when did rubber boots become a fashion statement. On chicks, they just look stupid, on guys, they look like a fcukin' retard. Geez.

Last edited:
And my (current) 5:

Zappa
Tom Morello
Matt Bellamy
Jeff Buckley
Joe Bonamassa

Not that they have shaped my playing, but yeah if I could play like any one of them...!

I do see women sporting the rubber boots on rainy days around here. It is kind of weird how they (try to) make them stylish.

Shaped my playing (in no particular order):

Duane Allman
Dicky Betts
Warren Haynes
Robben Ford
Eric Clapton

Slash
Zakk Wylde
Adam Jones
Tony Iommi
Dean DeLeo

I don't think I sound like any of them at all, but have stolen tiny bits of what they all do and incorporated them into what I do. There's some Hendrix floating in the subconscious as well.

I'm with you on rubber boots. I try to have an open mind about fashion but I'll never quite understand trying to look dumpy... Oh that and that fad where girls were rockin' socks on their arms for a minute.

1. Ray Parker Jr.
2. Paco de Lucia
3. Kerry and Jeff (Slayer, counting them as one.)
4.Nile Rodgers
5.East Bay Ray (Dead Kennedys)

I'm glad to see East Bay Ray get a tip o'the hat, he's really under appreciated IMHO. The dude has an evil tone.

Right!? So influential for me, his style is way more "surf" than it is "metal", I think thats one of the reasons DK just keeps getting better for me with time. I have a hard time listening to distorted guitar.

Don't you guys like to put Vaseline in your boots and let it squish between your toes?

5 for me are: (these change according to my style at the moment)
Warren Haynes
John Petrucci
Randy Rhoads
Eric Clapton
Carlos Santana

Top 5 as of today:

Johnny Cash (the reason I play guitar)
Ace Frehley
Randy Rhoads
Frank Zappa
Mike Keneally

I watched SRV on ACL twice. I must say that was an incredible display of talent. Only one vocal mic on stage and you never notice the fact there are no backup vocals, ever. I used to be an EVH fan back in the day, not so much now. Dean DeLeo is underated. He does a lot of interesting things. I wish I had a dollar for every time I have seen the four descending chords on Interstate Love Song verse played incorrecrtly. I would order a PS. Derek Trucks plays such a mean slide guitar it makes me want to cry. I love to listen to Paul Gilbert. Nuno B is amazing too. Watched an Extreme concert on dish, his guitar sounds exactly like it does on the album. He is very tasteful. I could go on and on.

Top 5 who influenced me to want to play guitar...Ace Frehley / Ted Nugent / Eddie Van Halen / Yngwie Malmsteen / Randy Rhoads.....

I was a fan of Renbourn, Jansch and Pentangle, and Basket of Light remains a great record, even so many years later. But my style was different.

I'd have to guess I've been more influenced by Clapton than any other player, but when I was in college I was into John Fahey's arrangements on acoustic. I can't name 3 others. There have been a lot.

I was a fan of Renbourn, Jansch and Pentangle, and Basket of Light remains a great record, even so many years later. But my style was different.

I'd have to guess I've been more influenced by Clapton than any other player, but when I was in college I was into John Fahey's arrangements on acoustic. I can't name 3 others. There have been a lot.

Guess I need to be doing some research, Mr. Schefman! I have not heard those names before...

Back