Mission possible?

EveryAxeAGem

Is it possible to modify a Paul's guitar with narrow 408s to house 57/08, 53/10, 59/00 ie regular PRS humbucker pickups? A PTC job perhaps?

I asked them this a couple years ago regarding turning a P90 guitar into one with humbuckers and was told the P90's are wider than the humbuckers and would not work without exposing the cavity.....looks like the Pauls pickupos might also be, they may not retrofit......check the overall width pickup ring of the Pauls vs a regular humbucker to know for sure.

I think your best bet is to sell the Paul's Guitar and purchase a Custom 24, neh?

Anything is possible, but is it worth the $ & effort? To modify a certain PRS model like a Paul's or an artist package might devalue an instrument, like a few members mentioned, you might look at another model rather than do some major mods. If you do go forward with your idea make sure it's done by PTC or a very good repair guy.

I was foolin' around with all 3 of mine tonight to compare the tone, which I've not done at the same time until now. And I have to tell ya, no way would I consider pulling the 408's out of my Paul's. With that all-mahogany body holding a rosewood neck, she has the absolute sexiest voice. Makes me think of Marilyn Monroe singing Happy Birthday to JFK. Positively velvety, like a cooing dove. The 59-09's are more show girly, but in a kind of brash but good way, and really flaunt their stuff. And the Vela, well she's just ready to rock and roll, think 50's style.

I think either of the above suggestions would make more sense, ME or CU24. If you had to modify the body cavity of a Paul's, you might end up regretting it, 'cause likely you couldn't go back - I don't know for sure, just sayin'. And then you'd have those pickups to sell. Sorry man, after tonight's experience, I sure can see why so many members here continuously GAS after the "new kid on the block". Tone chasers all, right? :top: :biggrin:

I don't think it can be done. I remember Highgain510 was thinking of doing the same thing to one of his guitars, but the routes of the 408 pups are too wide for a normal bucker. Slight gaps would show past the pup rings.

I asked them this a couple years ago regarding turning a P90 guitar into one with humbuckers and was told the P90's are wider than the humbuckers and would not work without exposing the cavity.....looks like the Pauls pickupos might also be, they may not retrofit......check the overall width pickup ring of the Pauls vs a regular humbucker to know for sure.

I saw Black Stone Cherry last night and Chris was playing an SE one with a squibblin something or another in it. Granted it was dark and I was 20 ft or so away but I couldn't tell the opening. You could probably try to find a wide pickup ring to cover it.

Back