Metallic ringing/chiming sound on G string

LaxActium

I’ve had this metallic ringing/chiming sound on the G string on a few guitars. Some louder than others and have never been able to solve it.
It happens fretted or otherwise. So that eliminates the nut.
Lowering or raising the action a little doesn’t seem to help either!
And sounds like it’s coming from the saddle. String change doesn’t solve it either.
Saddles look fine so I’m at a loss.
I have this happening on my SS SE, 594 SE, DGT, and Studio. Louder on my Studio and Silver Sky SE!
Has anyone encountered something similar?

Sounds like you may be getting a sympathetic vibration, but I'm going to stretch it a bit and wonder if you might just be more sensitive to that particular frequency. Seems odd that you'd get it on multiple guitars, and especially with a mix of trem and stop tail.

Let me ask you this - have you tried tuning one of the guitars down half a step to Eb? I'd be curious to see if you still hear the sound then.

Beyond that, I'd think there are several thing you could try - different gauge just on the G string, playing w/o the G string to see if you get that sound, different brand of strings, different gauge altogether.

I feel for you - those kinds of noise can be tough to isolate.

Sounds like you may be getting a sympathetic vibration, but I'm going to stretch it a bit and wonder if you might just be more sensitive to that particular frequency. Seems odd that you'd get it on multiple guitars, and especially with a mix of trem and stop tail.

Let me ask you this - have you tried tuning one of the guitars down half a step to Eb? I'd be curious to see if you still hear the sound then.

Beyond that, I'd think there are several thing you could try - different gauge just on the G string, playing w/o the G string to see if you get that sound, different brand of strings, different gauge altogether.

I feel for you - those kinds of noise can be tough to isolate.
I think fixating on that frequency also makes it worse and more distracting.
I will have to try tuning it down like you suggested.
I’ve had this happen on 9s and 10s, and on Rotosound as well as PRS Signature.
And the funny thing is that in order to hear it while I pluck the G string, I have to use a little more force with the pick. But during strumming, it is always present!

I’ve had this metallic ringing/chiming sound on the G string on a few guitars. Some louder than others and have never been able to solve it.
It happens fretted or otherwise. So that eliminates the nut.
Lowering or raising the action a little doesn’t seem to help either!
And sounds like it’s coming from the saddle. String change doesn’t solve it either.
Saddles look fine so I’m at a loss.
I have this happening on my SS SE, 594 SE, DGT, and Studio. Louder on my Studio and Silver Sky SE!
Has anyone encountered something similar?
I had that on my SE Custom 24.
First, I tried using Mann saddles, which only made it marginally better. Then I thought about where I had heard that sound before… It was when I was using a slide. I looked closely at the preacher point of the saddles, and found that they were indeed rounded. I did a little careful filing to create a sharper edge, and that solved it for me.

Are your guitars all setup basically the same? Pickup heights (to close to strings) can cause an issues.
Yes everything is factory height for the pickups and strings are medium action. Increasing or decreasing pickups didn’t help!

I had that on my SE Custom 24.
First, I tried using Mann saddles, which only made it marginally better. Then I thought about where I had heard that sound before… It was when I was using a slide. I looked closely at the preacher point of the saddles, and found that they were indeed rounded. I did a little careful filing to create a sharper edge, and that solved it for me.
I keep thinking it’s the saddle but the fact that it’s happening to multiple new guitars make me think otherwise!

I think fixating on that frequency also makes it worse and more distracting.
I will have to try tuning it down like you suggested.
I’ve had this happen on 9s and 10s, and on Rotosound as well as PRS Signature.
And the funny thing is that in order to hear it while I pluck the G string, I have to use a little more force with the pick. But during strumming, it is always present!

With multiple guitars, I assumed you'd probably tried more than one type of string. It is frustrating. I have an acoustic that I could hear a buzz when I played, but I couldn't isolate it. Took it to a guy (who's well respected here), told him what was happening, he played it for a bit and said he couldn't hear it. He handed me the guitar and said, "See if you can make it happen." I started playing, and in about five seconds, he said, "I hear it. It's the way you play." Well, that's not good! As long as I don't get lazy, it doesn't happen, but every now and then I catch myself.

I keep thinking it’s the saddle but the fact that it’s happening to multiple new guitars make me think otherwise!
The sound coming from a trem bridge is going to be different than that from a fixed bridge. In my hearing, it has a touch more bite and often what I call a zing. The zing is what I relate to the sound that’s similar to a slide. My thought is that the somewhat rounded surface of the saddles cause this. Some may never notice that, and some may prefer that. In my case, and perhaps yours, my ears are sensitive to that, and I had to try to reduce that on my B and high E strings.

Is the happening when you play acoustically or amplified?

Also, have you tried playing another similar guitar, not yours, and does it still occur?

Do you have other brands of guitar and does it happen with them?
Acoustically and amplified.
Unfortunately I do not have any other brand.
I first noticed it in the SS SE when I went down to 9s. Then changed back to 10s and it never went away.
On my Studio, it was there from day one. It went for a full setup last week and came back and still has it.
My Core DGT seems to be the least pronounced.
My SE DGT doesn’t have it.
My MEV doesn’t have it. It is in for a setup now so hopefully it doesn’t develop it after.
My SE 594 had it on both 9.5s and 10s. It has left my possession now.
My SE Paul’s Guitar never had it.

With multiple guitars, I assumed you'd probably tried more than one type of string. It is frustrating. I have an acoustic that I could hear a buzz when I played, but I couldn't isolate it. Took it to a guy (who's well respected here), told him what was happening, he played it for a bit and said he couldn't hear it. He handed me the guitar and said, "See if you can make it happen." I started playing, and in about five seconds, he said, "I hear it. It's the way you play." Well, that's not good! As long as I don't get lazy, it doesn't happen, but every now and then I catch myself.
There is something to be said about playing style. My SE 594 always felt harder to play. And when it came back from a setup, it buzzed all over. I finally realized that I had to use more finger pressure on it.
Same with my SE DGT vs Core DGT. Even though both have jumbo frets, the SE takes a lighter touch!

Acoustically and amplified.
Unfortunately I do not have any other brand.
I first noticed it in the SS SE when I went down to 9s. Then changed back to 10s and it never went away.
On my Studio, it was there from day one. It went for a full setup last week and came back and still has it.
My Core DGT seems to be the least pronounced.
My SE DGT doesn’t have it.
My MEV doesn’t have it. It is in for a setup now so hopefully it doesn’t develop it after.
My SE 594 had it on both 9.5s and 10s. It has left my possession now.
My SE Paul’s Guitar never had it.

Thanks for answering.

Do you wear any type of hearing aid?

Have the SE DGT & SE Paul’s ever been in for a set up?

Does the same person do all your set ups?

I’d go for playing another guitar, not one you own and see how it sits, if one doesn’t have it it’s unlikely to be a frequency sensitivity but worth checking.
The G string is sent to annoy us in general u til we get it where we need it, maybe if all guitars are setup by the same tech the setup doesn’t suit how you play

Thanks for answering.

Do you wear any type of hearing aid?

Have the SE DGT & SE Paul’s ever been in for a set up?

Does the same person do all your set ups?
SE DGT has not cause it feels perfect out of the box. Paul’s did but I ended up selling it after I got the MEV.
And no I do not wear a hearing aid!

I’d go for playing another guitar, not one you own and see how it sits, if one doesn’t have it it’s unlikely to be a frequency sensitivity but worth checking.
The G string is sent to annoy us in general u til we get it where we need it, maybe if all guitars are setup by the same tech the setup doesn’t suit how you play
Same tech set up everything. My Studio came to me with the ringing. It was from Anderton’s and Danish Pete actually played the guitar on a video!
I should have mentioned it to my tech before I sent it for the setup. I may take it back to him to see if there is something he can try.
Also since the strings are new, it is at the shrill stage still!
I was about to try playing with the pole screw on the humbucker but my screwdriver is not wide enough so I don’t want to chew up the screw!

Back