McCarty Archtop vs Hollowbody (I or II)

matonanjin

I am starting to figure out the differences between a Hollowbody I and 2. But now I am trying understand the difference between them and a McCarty Archtop. As I've posted on here a couple times I need and am looking for something light. I found what I thought was a great Hollowbody on a couple occasions and was dangerously close to clicking on the "Buy" button when they got sold out from under me.

I have now found a nice looking McCarty Archtop. What makes it different from a Hollowbody (I or 2)?

The differences between the archtop and the hollow body are pretty significant. The archtop is noticeably heavier, but still lighter than most solid bodies.

From a playability point of view, the archtop is much thicker - closer to a parlour acoustic than a solid body. As a result, it feels much different in your hands, or on your lap than the hollow body, which I find reasonably close to a solid body. If you’ve played a hollow body, just try to imagine the center of the wood sandwich being twice as thick. I play acoustic quite a bit, so I don’t mind the depth of the archtop at all.

Doubling the volume of the inside of the guitar does change the tonal characteristics of the archtop quite a bit versus the hollow body. It has much more acoustic resonance. On mine, I hear a much more prominent bottom end. There is an older thread that discusses this and I believe I did a couple of short videos of my archtop and one of the hollow bodies in it.

Last edited:
Veinbuster, I assume you meant "than most solidbodies"...

I agree with everything veinbuster said - it really is a totally different guitar. Playing sitting or standing, its going to have a whole different feel.

Thanks for the information. It helps a lot. Based on this I'm going to hold off on the Archtop. The smaller Hollowbody I'm convinced will work better for me. Thanks again.

Be careful...

Keep in mind the weight of the body. It seems the body of many early Hollowbody models are lighter than the redesigned 25th anniversary and on models.

I had an early Hollowbody I model and, though it sounded great with upgraded pickups, the guitar's weight was unbalanced and the neck always wanted to fall. I thought I could deal with it, but it was way too distracting and required conscious effort when playing standing up.

I would make sure you could play one in person before purchasing or take a chance on a 25th anniversary or newer model.

But really what I want is a DGT Semi-Hollow or Hollowbody II with single f-hole... :(

Last edited:
Be careful...

Keep in mind the weight of the body. It seems the body of many early Hollowbody models are lighter than the redesigned 25th anniversary and on models.

I had an early Hollowbody I model and, though it sounded great with upgraded pickups, the guitar's weight was unbalanced and the neck always wanted to fall. I thought I could deal with it, but it was way too distracting and required conscious effort when playing standing up.
Interesting. I bought an early HB II in 1996, and a 25th anniversary one in 2010. I have never notice a weight difference or any difference in the balance of the guitars.

Back