McCarty 594 Hollow Body II Annoying buzzing sound

Discussion in 'PTC - PRS Tech Center' started by Igotsoul4u, May 6, 2020.

1. Igotsoul4u

Igotsoul4u New Member

Do any other of you hollow body owners get any buzzing or rattling from the guitar? Can't quite pinpoint the location of the sound. I don't notice it when I'm plugged in. Its not the knobs. Doesn't seem to be the pickup cover. I thought it might just be the nature of highly resonant guitars. Still, I guess i would prefer it didn't rattle at certain notes.

2. garrett

garrett knows just enough to be dangerous

I think that may be the pickup height springs. Try replacing them with some rubber tubing.

3. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Does it do it one open strings, too, or just fretted notes?

4. Black Plaid

Black Plaid just another Alan

It sounds like the pickups against the pickup rings to me, this seems to happen when the resonant frequency of the springs gets triggered. @garrett above is right with his suggestion.

Igotsoul4u likes this.
  5. Igotsoul4u

Igotsoul4u New Member

The G string seems to be the biggest culprit. Its mainly when I am fretted around middle of the neck. Its worst at the 7-10th fret range.

I don't think I can gear it when I am playing clean so I don't know if its worth worrying about. Its a brand new guitar and was not cheap so it bugs me on that level.

6. jimfisher

jimfisher Guitar Geezer

Mine occasionally has a slight buzz too and it's the selector switch. Try reaching your pinky in the lower F-hole and see if that stops it. I usually just push on the brass contact and bend it slightly and it goes away.