McCarty 594 Hollow Body II Annoying buzzing sound

Igotsoul4u

Do any other of you hollow body owners get any buzzing or rattling from the guitar? Can't quite pinpoint the location of the sound. I don't notice it when I'm plugged in. Its not the knobs. Doesn't seem to be the pickup cover. I thought it might just be the nature of highly resonant guitars. Still, I guess i would prefer it didn't rattle at certain notes.

Does it do it one open strings, too, or just fretted notes?
The G string seems to be the biggest culprit. Its mainly when I am fretted around middle of the neck. Its worst at the 7-10th fret range.

I don't think I can gear it when I am playing clean so I don't know if its worth worrying about. Its a brand new guitar and was not cheap so it bugs me on that level.

Mine occasionally has a slight buzz too and it's the selector switch. Try reaching your pinky in the lower F-hole and see if that stops it. I usually just push on the brass contact and bend it slightly and it goes away.

Bringing this thread back from the dead. I have this same issue on the g string my my 2020 594 Singlecut. Open and fretted. This tinkly rattle sound. Did you ultimate track down the culprit?

Do any other of you hollow body owners get any buzzing or rattling from the guitar? Can't quite pinpoint the location of the sound. I don't notice it when I'm plugged in. Its not the knobs. Doesn't seem to be the pickup cover. I thought it might just be the nature of highly resonant guitars. Still, I guess i would prefer it didn't rattle at certain notes.

I had this happen too on certain frequencies. It's your tuner buttons. Tighten them a bit. Before hand put your finger on them one by one and move your finger up and down/side-to-side and see if he button is moving a bit. If it is, it needs tightening. Once you do that you won't hear buzz any longer.

As @garrett noted almost a year ago, it’s likely a pickup height spring. I noticed it on my brand new 594 HBII and was able to verify it by holding down the treble side of the neck pickup. Only happens playing seated, oddly enough, and is a simple thing to address. This isn’t the first guitar I’ve had with a resonant piece of spring steel making that sound. Gibson Les Paul’s and SGs using the AB1 bridge with the spring retainer were were notorious for a similar resonant buzz on certain notes. It’s just the vibrating nature of a guitar, and normally a really easy fix once located.

Sometimes it is easier to have someone else play the guitar, find the buzzing note, and keep making it ring out while you touch parts of the guitar until you find the source. In defense of guitar makers, these noises might not be present while play testing, and can develop at any point in the lifetime of a guitar. When you love an instrument that works by vibrating, it comes with the territory... like humidity in a horn. Find it, fix it, and on with the show!

Last edited:
Persistent buzzing, even after careful truss rod adjustment and bridge setup, can drive you crazy and completely ruin your experience with a guitar.

The more expensive the guitar, the more upsetting it can be!

Where is the buzzing coming from? It can be very hard to tell for sure.

Here is the story of how I eliminated the BUZZ from my PRS 594 Hollowbody II -

I recently bought this guitar online, actually the most expensive guitar I've ever purchased. Though it was beautiful, carefully shipped, undamaged, priced within my budget (barely!), and arrived safely (whew!), there was one ruinous problem: BUZZ .

I can imagine that this was why the seller sold it. I almost turned around and sold it myself. For my purposes, the buzzing made the guitar unplayable. I felt terrible about the money I'd spent. I had taken a chance with eyes open, and this time the outcome was a disaster, or so it seemed.

I let the guitar acclimate, I tweaked the truss rod and the bridge setup to seeming perfection, yet still the BUZZ remained and I could not pin down the cause. The pickup area seemed possibly implicated, but using the ole "finger on the PU" or "cardboard jammed in PU" seemed to only slightly affect the BUZZ but not eliminate it.

Since all my efforts to determine the cause for sure were unsuccessful, I reasoned that my only hope was to take remedial action on faith. So I did.

Here is where serendipity enters the story.

Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, I happened to have here in the house a sheet of very thin rubber that I had purchased for the purpose of making a DIY mask brace. ( https://www.fixthemask.com/products/v2-diy-rubber-sheet-brace ) This was approximately the right thickness for wedging between the PUs and the PU frames, and I reasoned that this rubber would be a superior vibration absorber as compared to the typical wedged piece of cardboard, which sometimes works but did not in this case.

Since the rubber is somewhat floppy, it was not possible to simply insert it by pushing it into the narrow slot between a PU and its frame. The only way to do it was to disassemble the PUs from the face of the guitar, after which, with access to both the front and rear sides, it was possible to slightly widen the opening(s) with finger pressure and insert the (cut to size) rubber.

My goal was to insert as much rubber as I could, which turned out to be one long piece and one short piece (on each PU) along the top and bottom of the PUs. It was not possible to insert rubber on the sides as they were just too tight, though I did manage to insert one very thin piece of cardboard to augment the rubber.

I also decided to put small pieces of rubber between the bridge and the bridge adjustment discs. This covered all the spots that I thought might be relevant to mitigate while the strings were removed. If I needed to move on to work on knobs and controls I would be able to do that later even after re-stringing the guitar. As it happened, this was not necessary, because INSTALLING THE RUBBER ON PICKUPS AND BRIDGE FULLY SOLVED THE PROBLEM.

My relief was profound, and with the buzzing gone, the 594 is a WONDERFUL guitar, with really beautiful tone and projection (IMO) when played unplugged (which is the start of everything!) . Of course, it sounds gorgeous now plugged-in as well.

This is the rubber I used:

Multipurpose Neoprene Rubber Sheet with Certificate, 12" x 24", 1/32" Thick, 40A Durometer

You might want thinner or thicker, or even to have several thicknesses available before you start your job.

I hope this story helps someone else turn a source of desperate despair into a source of profound satisfaction.
Peace and Music,

- Steve

P.S. I can add a link to pictures once I get the privs to do so here!

Persistent buzzing, even after careful truss rod adjustment and bridge setup, can drive you crazy and completely ruin your experience with a guitar.

The more expensive the guitar, the more upsetting it can be!

Where is the buzzing coming from? It can be very hard to tell for sure.

Here is the story of how I eliminated the BUZZ from my PRS 594 Hollowbody II -

I recently bought this guitar online, actually the most expensive guitar I've ever purchased. Though it was beautiful, carefully shipped, undamaged, priced within my budget (barely!), and arrived safely (whew!), there was one ruinous problem: BUZZ .

I can imagine that this was why the seller sold it. I almost turned around and sold it myself. For my purposes, the buzzing made the guitar unplayable. I felt terrible about the money I'd spent. I had taken a chance with eyes open, and this time the outcome was a disaster, or so it seemed.

I let the guitar acclimate, I tweaked the truss rod and the bridge setup to seeming perfection, yet still the BUZZ remained and I could not pin down the cause. The pickup area seemed possibly implicated, but using the ole "finger on the PU" or "cardboard jammed in PU" seemed to only slightly affect the BUZZ but not eliminate it.

Since all my efforts to determine the cause for sure were unsuccessful, I reasoned that my only hope was to take remedial action on faith. So I did.

Here is where serendipity enters the story.

Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, I happened to have here in the house a sheet of very thin rubber that I had purchased for the purpose of making a DIY mask brace. ( https://www.fixthemask.com/products/v2-diy-rubber-sheet-brace ) This was approximately the right thickness for wedging between the PUs and the PU frames, and I reasoned that this rubber would be a superior vibration absorber as compared to the typical wedged piece of cardboard, which sometimes works but did not in this case.

Since the rubber is somewhat floppy, it was not possible to simply insert it by pushing it into the narrow slot between a PU and its frame. The only way to do it was to disassemble the PUs from the face of the guitar, after which, with access to both the front and rear sides, it was possible to slightly widen the opening(s) with finger pressure and insert the (cut to size) rubber.

My goal was to insert as much rubber as I could, which turned out to be one long piece and one short piece (on each PU) along the top and bottom of the PUs. It was not possible to insert rubber on the sides as they were just too tight, though I did manage to insert one very thin piece of cardboard to augment the rubber.

I also decided to put small pieces of rubber between the bridge and the bridge adjustment discs. This covered all the spots that I thought might be relevant to mitigate while the strings were removed. If I needed to move on to work on knobs and controls I would be able to do that later even after re-stringing the guitar. As it happened, this was not necessary, because INSTALLING THE RUBBER ON PICKUPS AND BRIDGE FULLY SOLVED THE PROBLEM.

My relief was profound, and with the buzzing gone, the 594 is a WONDERFUL guitar, with really beautiful tone and projection (IMO) when played unplugged (which is the start of everything!) . Of course, it sounds gorgeous now plugged-in as well.

This is the rubber I used:

Multipurpose Neoprene Rubber Sheet with Certificate, 12" x 24", 1/32" Thick, 40A Durometer

You might want thinner or thicker, or even to have several thicknesses available before you start your job.

I hope this story helps someone else turn a source of desperate despair into a source of profound satisfaction.
Peace and Music,

- Steve

P.S. I can add a link to pictures once I get the privs to do so here!
Wow, I will have to give this a try. Like the OP, it is only slightly annoying because I can not hear it through the pups, but it's sound acoustically is so beautiful that, I want to play it that way sometimes and that tinny vibration makes me cringe. Thanks for taking the time to pass on this information, sounds like a great solution!

BTW @sj1, if you just reply to this thread and we go back and forth with a couple of volleys, you will then have permission to post pix (which I would love to see). What you have said is very well explained and makes sense, but pix always good!!!

Cheers~
MW

Wow, I will have to give this a try. Like the OP, it is only slightly annoying because I can not hear it through the pups, but it's sound acoustically is so beautiful that, I want to play it that way sometimes and that tinny vibration makes me cringe. Thanks for taking the time to pass on this information, sounds like a great solution!

BTW @sj1, if you just reply to this thread and we go back and forth with a couple of volleys, you will then have permission to post pix (which I would love to see). What you have said is very well explained and makes sense, but pix always good!!!
Thanks for your comments MW.

At different times, with different guitars, I have experienced both acoustic buzzing that was not heard thru the pickups and acoustic buzzing that was heard thru the pickups.

My impression over many observations is that it seems to be a matter of degree, and also a matter of source.

Minimal buzzes, certainly enough to be annoying when playing unplugged, may in fact not be heard when plugged in.

More aggressive, louder BUZZES often can be heard thru the pickups as well.

Finally, buzzes that originate physically at the pickups are much more likely to be heard thru the pickups (as well) than buzzes from a knob or other point. After all, the conceptual model of the electric guitar is to have strings vibrating in the stationary magnetic fields of stationary pickups. If the PUs themselves are not stationary (i.e. they are vibrating) then you have a different situation: vibrating strings in vibrating magnetic fields. That will affect what is heard thru an amp.

Last edited:
OK, re: pictures - I'll add links now

81067d1619270486-eliminating-buzzing-sympathetic-vibrations-archtop-img_9582-jpg

81068d1619270486-eliminating-buzzing-sympathetic-vibrations-archtop-img_9583-jpg

81069d1619270486-eliminating-buzzing-sympathetic-vibrations-archtop-img_9586-jpg
81070d1619270486-eliminating-buzzing-sympathetic-vibrations-archtop-img_9588-jpg

Cheers!

FWIW, I think manufacturing and delivering guitars that do not buzz represents the next frontier in creating superb customer experiences.

IMO, it is worth as much attention as has been paid in the past to tonewoods, glues, PU configurations and frequency responses, etc.

The buzz/rattle noise was driving me mad! I bought some neoprene rubber and did the same thing. thanks for the suggestion @sj1 !!!!!

Back