Lowering action on McCarty 2 piece bridge

Starling60

I have a new S2 McCarty 594 thin line. The action seems a little high on the upper frets. How do I adjust/lower the floating bridge? Also, is the neck pickup supposed to be so much lower than the bridge pickup? Thanks!

All you need to do is turn the screws on the bridge posts clockwise to lower the action. I'd suggest you de-tune the strings a bit to reduce the tension on them, and try turning the screws a half-turn at a time. Re-tune, and see if you're happy; if not, repeat the process until you have the action where you want it (without buzz, of course).
As for pickup heights, usually the neck is a little lower, as the strings vibrate more at that point than they do over the bridge (so "louder"). If the heights are exactly the same, you'd usually find the neck output volume to be louder than the bridge, and most folks want them to be about equal. But it's all about what *you* like - both pickups are totally adjustable, and moving them closer to/farther from the strings will also affect their tone. Experiment with both, see what you like. There are no rules! The four screws in the corners of the pickup rings keep it mounted to the body, so the two screws in the middle of the short sides are what you use to adjust height. Turn clockwise to lower, counter-clockwise to raise. A little goes a long way in changing the tone/output, so small adjustments, play and see how it sounds

Thank you. Exactly the instructions I needed. But when you say screws do you mean the wheels on the posts? I just don’t want to mess up intonation. I think I’ll leave the pickup where it’s at given this information.

I think the title of your thread and your actual guitar are 2 different things.
A “floating bridge” is a term used to describe a trem bridge.
Your guitar is a S2 McCarty - no trem.
To answer your question, YES, the wheels under the bridge are used to raise and lower the string height. Just loosen the strings when you adjust them.

Last edited:
Not a big deal.
We’re all here to try and help.
I appreciate it. You’ve all been great. All PRS responded with was a link to a specs page. The string height from the factory on this one is just a fraction over 2/32 at the 12th fret for both the treble and low E.

Thank you. Exactly the instructions I needed. But when you say screws do you mean the wheels on the posts? I just don’t want to mess up intonation. I think I’ll leave the pickup where it’s at given this information.
You're welcome! And my bad - I did indeed mean the wheels on the posts (some different companies versions use screws).
Intonation adjustments come from the screws under each saddle. Technically, changing the overall height of the bridge can affect intonation too, but small adjustments won't make a hugely noticeable difference, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. And once you start tinkering, you'll realize there's no big secret about guitar set-ups, including intonation adjustments. Plenty of good info online to walk you though all the basics. You'll be surprised how many things you can fix/improve on your own with just a couple of screwdrivers!

And for the pickups, if you switch between the bridge and neck and you're happy with how they sound and balance, then they're at the right height!

You may want to check the bow in your neck first. Your truss rod might need a slight adjustment. It’s amazing what a quarter turn can do.
Good point. I have a Martin ball end 5mm and a Taylor 1/4” socket type wrench. Am I going to need another one?

I just remembered that there was a truss rod wrench and some very slim Allen wrenches included in my case. Sorry

Back