Let's talk coffee!

vchizzle

Zomb!e Nine, DFZ
I'm a fan. I have a difficult time functioning without at least 1 cup in the morning. If I'm home, left with nothing to do, I'll drink the entire pot.

So, how do you take your coffee? Black, w/cream, sugar? Or are you a latte, mocha, americana, espresso type? Or maybe you prefer a spot of tea? Or maybe and energy drink type? Or you drink water and don't care caffeine fix?

Personally, I go straight up, black with nothing added. If I'm at a coffee shop, I'll order coffee with a shot of espresso. I like the strong flavor. Don't give me no weak ass watery coffee either. I actually prefer to brew with a mesh wire filter rather than a paper filter at home because it's more flavorful. I'll drink flavored or regular type beans, whatever suits my mood.

I really liked the place they had at PRS EXP 2012. Wish I would've bought one of the shirts, hopefully they're back this year along with Flying Dog beer.

Feel free to mention you favorite brand or flavor. I like a couple local places:
WI - http://www.steepnbrew.com/home
MN - http://www.cariboucoffee.com/page/1/home.jsp
As a default I'll buy Cameron's coffee a lot too It's usually on sale around here.

I won't spend over ten bucks/lb.(that's average high side of normal places in stores here) on anything usually, go through it to quick to be a cork sniffer(or barrel sniffer?).
:coffee:

The pinnacle for me is a properly made traditional cappuccino. No sugar needed when it's done right.

I drink coffee for pleasure, not as a pick-me-up, so I tend to grab a cappuccino or a latte around mid-morning a couple days a week. I also like cold pressed coffee; one of these days I'll have a go at making my own.

I only drink coffee out and about when being social. I generally get straight up coffee or espresso.

The places we go to in STL for coffee are...

Kaldi's - good for a quick social, lots of seating, wifi

The Vine - Lebanese food and drink, very reasonably priced

Half & Half - some of our favorite breakfast meals, arguably the better of the three for coffee

I'm an addict. 2-4 cups a day depending although one of those is generally for an afternoon pick me up. Since I'm in downtown Chicago 4 days a week, Starbucks is the most convenient place for me with one on every block but its not my favorite. I prefer Lavazza or Caribou. I usually drink it black and prefer the darker brews, same goes for beer...lol.

I will occasionally have "dessert" type coffee every now and again...mostly if I want dessert.
The pinnacle for me is a properly made traditional cappuccino. No sugar needed when it's done right.

I drink coffee for pleasure, not as a pick-me-up, so I tend to grab a cappuccino or a latte around mid-morning a couple days a week. I also like cold pressed coffee; one of these days I'll have a go at making my own.
Oh I drink it purely out of pleasure. I drink cup #1 to wake up, 2-12 are because I love the flavor :D
Cold press is pretty decent, a little different tasting. I like it better iced though. Speaking of iced. I love iced coffee when it's like 90 degrees outside.
I'm an addict. 2-4 cups a day depending although one of those is generally for an afternoon pick me up. Since I'm in downtown Chicago 4 days a week, Starbucks is the most convenient place for me with one on every block but its not my favorite. I prefer Lavazza or Caribou. I usually drink it black and prefer the darker brews, same goes for beer...lol.
You and I have pretty similar taste I think. When extreme heat hits, I tend to lighten up(darkness, not amount) on both a hair, but not much.

I'm more of a Coke guy, but when I do drink coffee, I like it simple and old fashioned; Folgers and a little cream & sugar. I haven't tried too many things more exotic than that, although I love the smells when they're making them at the shops in the bookstores, etc. I was in a Hastings books and music place this week, and they were passing out samples. I took one expecting a coffee of some kind, but it was a cherry and almonds soda, and it was great.

Goldtop Lloyd

Thanks for the link Hans, didn't realize I missed that thread. I leave the Luwak alone :vroam:

Damn....if you're an addict at 2-4 cups a day....my daily 48+ ounces...combined with an accompanying daily 1/2 cup of sugar....will probably result in something dire in the future. And, while I certainly use it as a "wake up" medicament....paradoxically, it has no effect on my ability to fall asleep at night whatsoever.

And agreed....a nice cup of Hawaiian Kona....or perhaps a cup of Jamaican Blue Mountain (from the "Higher mountains in Jamaica" no pun intended) are my absolute favorite beverages. Although, while I can tell the difference between various coffees as well as Jim Ignatowski could differentiate between different varieties of Peruvian.......well, you know......I could never drink it without it being sweetened to a level similar to a per-sweetened beverage such as cola or Snapple. And...to get that level of sweetness...we're talking about 10 teaspoons of sugar in a 16 oz. cup. Uggh...sounds worse than it is. Been doing it for 40 years, and my fasting glucose is still very low. Go figure. I guess you call it "playing with fire".

i'm a tea drinker,semi skimmed cow juice and 2 sugars , the only time I drink coffee is out of a vending machine, even then it has to be very sweet and preferably cappuccino. If I am offered instant and there is no alternative but to drink it, then very milky and very sweet.

I will occasionally have "dessert" type coffee every now and again...mostly if I want dessert.

I used to work for Starbucks back in the 90's and have many friends that own their own roasting operations and stores, but the best "dessert" cup of coffee I have ever had in my life came from Rick Bayless' Frontera Grill in Chicago.

Cafe Playa: Kahlua, golden Arette anejo tequila, steaming americano (espresso, hot water) whipped cream, dusting of Mexican chocolate. $8.00

Worth every stinkin' penny.

Damn....if you're an addict at 2-4 cups a day....my daily 48+ ounces...combined with an accompanying daily 1/2 cup of sugar....will probably result in something dire in the future. And, while I certainly use it as a "wake up" medicament....paradoxically, it has no effect on my ability to fall asleep at night whatsoever.

And agreed....a nice cup of Hawaiian Kona....or perhaps a cup of Jamaican Blue Mountain (from the "Higher mountains in Jamaica" no pun intended) are my absolute favorite beverages. Although, while I can tell the difference between various coffees as well as Jim Ignatowski could differentiate between different varieties of Peruvian.......well, you know......I could never drink it without it being sweetened to a level similar to a per-sweetened beverage such as cola or Snapple. And...to get that level of sweetness...we're talking about 10 teaspoons of sugar in a 16 oz. cup. Uggh...sounds worse than it is. Been doing it for 40 years, and my fasting glucose is still very low. Go figure. I guess you call it "playing with fire".

That's why I can't get into drip coffee. Way too bitter. Frothing the milk for a cappuccino or latte brings out the sweetness in the milk and offsets the bitter coffee. I'll take my latte or cappuccino with only one or zero teaspoons of sugar. Give me drip brewed and I'm dumping cream and three sugars in there to offset the bitterness.

Coffee Talk!

tumblr_lx1q1dow1i1qahan0o1_400.jpg

Oh I drink it purely out of pleasure. I drink cup #1 to wake up, 2-12 are because I love the flavor :D
Cold press is pretty decent, a little different tasting. I like it better iced though. Speaking of iced. I love iced coffee when it's like 90 degrees outside.
You and I have pretty similar taste I think. When extreme heat hits, I tend to lighten up(darkness, not amount) on both a hair, but not much.

Same here, I do like lighter brews in warmer weather, both kinds especially if I'm going to be drinking a lot. The darker stuff tends to suite me better in the cold as f*ck temperatures up here.

I have a buddy at the office that is a java junkie like myself and we have been on a Dunkin Donuts Turbo kick lately. It's nice and smooth but still bold and full bodied coffee. It's great with cream and sugar and it is great straight up with nothing in it at all... This is making me want coffee tonight and that's a recipe for disaster, so I'm gonna see my way out of this thread quick fast in a hurry...

I usually grind a Starbuck's or use their single cup machine. I like it black.
That is exactly what we do. It's consistent and you can buy it at Sam's Club much cheaper in bulk. I love vacations in Washington State because of the drive-up coffee shacks in the parking lots. So much variety and it's really darned good. Oh, and many of the girls wear bikini tops at the drive-thru!:rock: My face looked like my avatar the first time.

Like good Scotch or gin, it just takes getting used to strong coffee. To me it's best black, like I like my guitars.:biggrin:

Last edited:
That's why I can't get into drip coffee. Way too bitter. Frothing the milk for a cappuccino or latte brings out the sweetness in the milk and offsets the bitter coffee. I'll take my latte or cappuccino with only one or zero teaspoons of sugar. Give me drip brewed and I'm dumping cream and three sugars in there to offset the bitterness.
I like a little bitter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back