LED Bulbs - Interesting Studio/Amp Room Tidbit

László

Too Many Notes
My studio has recessed lights in the typical "cans" in the ceiling. Last week a couple of bulbs went out, and I decided to change from the traditional incandescent flood light bulbs to dimmable LED floods. I did this primarily because I wanted a white "daylight" type of light instead of the yellow light incandescents throw off; the fact that the bulbs last for 22 years and use 1/5 the electricity of the old type of bulbs was sort of a bonus.

What I discovered is that there is another benefit to these bulbs: they don't rattle like traditional bulbs when you play your amp! You know that ringy sound you sometimes get when you turn the amp up a little? Doesn't happen with these. Sure, you can still shake stuff in the room if you want, but the light bulbs aren't part of that deal now.

This is actually useful because I generally record my amp with a ribbon mic, and they are figure-of-eight patterns, which means they pick up a lot of room tones. Rattling light fixtures can be a problem. Now they aren't. A vocalist sometimes can also cause fixtures to rattle when hitting certain notes, so now I can use an omni pattern on my mics, too.

Another benefit: LEDs need a different dimmer. An LED compatible dimmer is a 22 buck item, no biggie. My old dimmer sometimes caused electromagnetic interference that makes pickups buzz. The LED compatible dimmer uses a somewhat different circuit, and it doesn't cause nearly the buzzing in single coil settings.

So these bulbs, while initially expensive (I think they were about 21 bucks each), will never have to be replaced during the rest of my lifetime, use 1/5 the power, I like the light better, and they don't make noise like the old ones. Very nice!

I have been using LED bulbs for some time now. I like them and have no plans to change. LED!!!

So your saying you have less than 22 years of life left! That sounds like some good blues mojo about to happen!!!!

22 years puts me well past 80.

If I'm still around, I will need a drool cup a lot more than light bulbs in my studio. ;)

We replaced the similar recessed flood lights in our kitchen with LEDs and we are very happy with them. I plan on slowly replacing all the bulbs in the house with them as needed.

The only downside is, the ones in the kitchen take maybe 1/2 of a second to come on. It's not much but it will fake you out sometimes.

22 years puts me well past 80.

If I'm still around, I will need a drool cup a lot more than light bulbs in my studio. ;)

That HXDA is going to add years to your life! Besides, Lesteban is too young to think about mortality...

Back