Learning and playing guitar with others in the age of COVID

rpoce24

Just looking for suggestions. I have been playing about 2 years, and obviously the pandemic has stalled most in person stuff. I have done 4 or 5 lessons with the teacher I was using before this all started online, but I am just not feeling it. Not sure if it is just time to move onto a new instructor, or it is the online thing. So basically losing some motivation and getting in a rut. Would really like to find a new outlet for playing, or even just trying a new teacher.

Any suggestions on online groups, people really goo sat online instruction, or (horrors of horrors) people still finding a way to do things in person?

I recently started lessons again for the first time during lock down and I really enjoy them. Not only are they a chance for me to speak to someone who is passionate about the things I am but it also gives me a break from the 8 hour days Monday to Friday of teams based conference calls.

I think It really depends on your teacher. A lot of touring musicians are doing lessons at the moment which really gives me the motivation. The great thing also Is depending on your teacher they aren't exactly that much more for someone who is in the business.

I'm currently learning with Dan Patlansky at the moment who is a fantastic blues musician and his rates aren't too bad at all considering he's a professional touring musician.

4x1 hour lessons costs me $200 which works out in the UK as £38 a lesson which is only £8 more than a normal random part time music teacher so it's a no brainer to me.

Although since some years ago after my instructor moved away/discontinued private lessons (the teacher's main gig was a local boarding school's music program he needed to focus on), it had been easier to seek out fellow musicians at open-mic jams, where you could perform solo or be accompanied by the venue's house band if they knew what songs you were performing ahead of time.

Fast forward with COVID...the open-mic scene has all but vanished with restrictions on crowd size gatherings. There remains one venue not far from my apartment that still has patrons, but my feeling is that I've not read/seen notice of their allowing live performance/gatherings indoors.

What to do?

Woodshed with online teachers, or with purchased video instruction from TrueFire (www.truefire.com). With TrueFire, I've learned from the likes of Josh Smith, Larry Carlton, Robben Ford, Jeff McErlain, and Robbie Calvo, just to name a few. Each has his own manner and style of teaching, and the diversity makes for a wide-reaching experience.

If TrueFire doesn't satisfy your need, then, by all means, pursue a course with a one-on-one teacher. While lessons may cost more, the benefit is that you are motivated more often by your peers and will learn at a quicker pace. (Which can be good or not, depending on your available time and amount of effort you put in). The advantage of TrueFire is that you can download their videos and study at your own pace at a time convenient to you.

It used to be that private one-on-one lessons required visiting the teacher's studio, or if the teacher travelled, you paid more for him to visit you. With COVID, teachers have adapted and use online courses as their way of reaching students in a broader context.

You may need to choose between what is convenient to you and whether you observe local restrictions for gatherings. Though, TBH, the safest way currently is online with videos or instructors.

Although since some years ago after my instructor moved away/discontinued private lessons (the teacher's main gig was a local boarding school's music program he needed to focus on), it had been easier to seek out fellow musicians at open-mic jams, where you could perform solo or be accompanied by the venue's house band if they knew what songs you were performing ahead of time.

Fast forward with COVID...the open-mic scene has all but vanished with restrictions on crowd size gatherings. There remains one venue not far from my apartment that still has patrons, but my feeling is that I've not read/seen notice of their allowing live performance/gatherings indoors.

What to do?

Woodshed with online teachers, or with purchased video instruction from TrueFire (www.truefire.com). With TrueFire, I've learned from the likes of Josh Smith, Larry Carlton, Robben Ford, Jeff McErlain, and Robbie Calvo, just to name a few. Each has his own manner and style of teaching, and the diversity makes for a wide-reaching experience.

If TrueFire doesn't satisfy your need, then, by all means, pursue a course with a one-on-one teacher. While lessons may cost more, the benefit is that you are motivated more often by your peers and will learn at a quicker pace. (Which can be good or not, depending on your available time and amount of effort you put in). The advantage of TrueFire is that you can download their videos and study at your own pace at a time convenient to you.

It used to be that private one-on-one lessons required visiting the teacher's studio, or if the teacher travelled, you paid more for him to visit you. With COVID, teachers have adapted and use online courses as their way of reaching students in a broader context.

You may need to choose between what is convenient to you and whether you observe local restrictions for gatherings. Though, TBH, the safest way currently is online with videos or instructors.
I appreciate the response. I am currently using the same instructor I did pre-covid via skype. I am just not sure we are on the same wavelength right now. I am not excited about lessons, and I am not sure if it is the new format or the instructor. I still want to play and learn however. Unlike many people, I have been busier and more exhausted the last 9 months or so due to work. I am trying to figure out how to connect with a new instructor, and see if that is the issue. I would be open to any suggestions regarding teachers that are really good and have perfected the online format.

I appreciate the response. I am currently using the same instructor I did pre-covid via skype. I am just not sure we are on the same wavelength right now. I am not excited about lessons, and I am not sure if it is the new format or the instructor. I still want to play and learn however. Unlike many people, I have been busier and more exhausted the last 9 months or so due to work. I am trying to figure out how to connect with a new instructor, and see if that is the issue. I would be open to any suggestions regarding teachers that are really good and have perfected the online format.

Only thing I can personally recommend is that if you're having doubts about your instructor or the course material, the best way to make your feelings known is to speak directly to the instructor, and share your concerns.

If the instructor is a reliable and honest one, he will listen to your concerns and acknowledge what your problems are. He will then offer you some options as counsel as to how you may proceed. These options will allow you to make a decision as to what future coursework you will learn from the instructor, or whether you choose to discontinue working with the same instructor, and pursue an alternate.

You'll likely need to voice your concerns about the reasons why you're not currently satisfied with the coursework, and if the instructor can tailor his teaching methods so as to meet your requirements. Be sure to have a clear goal in mind when you address the instructor, otherwise it'll seem like you don't know what you really want to do with the coursework.

If the reason you're not satisfied with the current curriculum is that you're feeling overwhelmed with your work schedule, perhaps the instructor can offer a semi-weekly course (once every 2 weeks) instead of a more disciplined course. As the paying student, you have your rights to ask for allowable dispensation...just be aware that the coursework with your current instructor may be formatted so that students are required to do the work within a specific timeframe. If that is the case, it would be wise to seek out a new instructor who is more flexible with their scheduled coursework.

I may sound like the cranky old "back in my day..." guy but I still learn the same way I used to as a teenager in the 80s. I play along to the song over and over again until I figure it out. I never got into reading tabs or watching YouTube videos, which probably would make me a better player, but I never had that kind of patience and old habits die hard.

I'd recommend a no frills looper. You can hear yourself back right away, helps with timing and metere. They are cheap.
Also agree on this. besides hearing yourself back, you can also set up simple (keep them simple) backing tracks and practice scales / improvising over chords. Can be tons of fun.

beside this looper advice, I'd say maybe take a break from the lessons you are doing and explore some different stuff on youtube. Maybe even buy a course if you find and instructor or material that you like and practice that as well as the stuff you've learned from your current lessons. ...then in a few months maybe we'll be able to go back to in person stuff and you can decide if you want to go back to in person lessons then.

Some really good advice in here.

I'll add one thing. We all sometimes lack motivation and get stuck in a rut. It happens to everyone. Just like learning music and practicing, you'll plateau for a while and begin to think your going no where or not getting any better and then "Boom" you hit that next rung on the ladder.

Like others have said, talk to the instructor. The online lessons may new to them as well. They may appreciate the feedback to help them improve and hopefully you can work together to make it something you'll both enjoy. If they're not willing to work with you, then you'll know its time to seek out another instructor or avenue of instruction.

I think in the age of Covid, we are all finding our way thru this mess.

Keep at it!

Back