Just got my first PRS!

jeyemhex

Hey guys, I recently picked up my first (second hand) PRS custom 24 10 top, I believe it's from 1996.

squeee1.jpg
squeee2.jpg

IMG_20140702_245307_007.jpg

There's a little bit of damage to the headstock, but other than that it's in surprisingly good condition for 18 years of service.

I don't know much else about it however, I was wondering if anyone has any interesting/useful information about guitars from that year. In particular, the tone nob has a pull pot that only seems to do anything in the middle position. Does anyone know what this might be?

The tone pot should switch the pickups from humbucker to single coil mode when you pull the knob. If it only makes a difference in the middle position, that might indicate the pickups were replace or at least rewired. You should hear a difference regardless of the position of the toggle switch.

Oh, and that one's a beauty!

Is it only works on the middle position then it might be a phase switch. Does it turn into a really "thin" sound?

Pretty weird stuff going on with the tuner screws!

Congrats for the beauty and welcome to the forum

Beauty!! :adore:

...I have a couple of other gits that only split in the middle position... gives them a stratty sound. Not sure how yours was originally wired though...

That's my kind of guitar right there. Nice.

Pickups have been replaced, so who knows what's going on with the wiring. Phase switch sounds like a good theory.

I really, really dig that guitar. Stunning. Congratulations and enjoy!

Back