John Mayer and his Silver Sky

This also popped up in mine too - before it was posted in the Silver Sky thread.

I think this is very interesting and explains why John Mayer left Fender without really saying why. I must admit, I am NOT a strat player, not a strat fan and my 'concession' for owning anything with Single Coils and a longer scale length was my PRS 509. I know its not exactly a strat but it has a lot more that I like in a guitar. The woods, the wood grain showing (no solid or opaque colours), no Pickguard and a set neck

I have seen 'numerous' comparisons between a Silver Sky and the era of strat it is more representative of - the 63/64 Strats.If you listen closely, rather than watch, the tones are very difficult to differentiate between the stupidly expensive old Fender and the new Silver Sky. The video explains why the Silver Sky sounds similar as John wanted that vintage tone that he sees as being warm due to the 'ageing' of the woods - that has knocked off some of that high end - something I dislike too but I know some like 'bright' guitars. It also highlights one of the reasons I am a PRS fan and why I will happily purchase PRS guitars online, the fact that John can fly anywhere (as long as there are PRS retailers around) without taking a Silver Sky with him.

That quality and consistency that PRS are known for - the fact that he can walk into any shop, take a PRS Silver Sky off the shelf and it will feel and sound like his own ones at home. A lot easier than trying to find a Fender that has the same feel and sound. I think that's the same with Gibson too - not saying that ALL Fender and Gibson LP's are bad but you may have to go looking for the 'one' that you 'bond' with and has the sound you were looking for and with the quality fit/finish you expect. Its a bit easier for Fender as they can hide the bulk of the wood behind a solid paint job and plastic pick guard - also not likely to have excessive 'glue' that seeped out around the neck pocket or staining on the binding.

I am not bashing any of these - its just that they don't have the same Quality Control threshold that PRS employ. In other words, their is a much wider variation between the 'best' and 'worst' instruments leaving the factory. That may also be down to the numbers of guitars that are manufactured at each company and maybe the 'staff' too. I always get the impression that PRS staff are passionate about making instruments, that they actually 'care' about each one built rather than it being just a job, just a paycheck. The way Paul also talks during interviews etc, never once taking the credit for building PRS guitars and ALWAYS refers to 'we' as in the entire staff team. Every staff member is included in any credit which must be great for all those employed.

This video is great though and I am not a 'John Mayer' fan. To be honest, I hadn't really heard of him or listen to any of his music - at least not consciously - I may of heard some of his stuff without knowing who was playing. That maybe because I have not really listened to 'new' music unless its been from artists I was listening to in the 80's and 90's, listening to Rock/metal and hearing the music my kids were listening to. I can see why he is regarded as a musician and a guitarist. I can see and fully why he is now with PRS too and why it is such a good partnership. The bit about wanting a a vintage type sound, a sound that 50+yrs of ageing produce but with the modern build, quality and consistency. That's also the way I see the 594 too...

Strats are one of those instruments that I can appreciate in the hands of other people, but in my hands they just sound terrible.

Still, if there’s one thing I appreciate about PRS it’s that he doesn’t seem married to the past. Most people who wanted to build a 63/64 Strat would probably build a 63/64 Strat, not completely redesign the instrument.

John Mayer shares his most important piece of advice, “Whatever you learn is the tip of the iceberg— dive underwater and find the rest of the iceberg.” Mayer discuses how to trace musical inspirations to their source to uncover their fundamental material, and how to use that fundamental material to discover new ideas. He demos this process on his PRS Silver Sky signature guitar using his song "Gravity."

Back