Jazz guitar

djlee8807

Hi everyone,

I am currently looking around to pick up a small body jazz guitar. Any strong recommendations from the PRS lineup? So far I am leaning towards Gibson ES-359 but I would like everyone's opinion on PRS guitar's suitability and capability for a nice jazz tone. Maybe the hollowbody II or ja-15?

Thanks in advance

I'm a big fan of the discontinued PRS Archtop Spruce (or Jazz), but they're a bit hard to find. Great, reedy, deep jazz tones with some good definition on tap. Alternatively, every JA-15 I've played was fantastic, especially those that came with the 53/10 pickups. If I didn't have an Archtop, I'd get a JA-15 in a heartbeat.

FWIW, I once owned an ES-359 as well, but sold it fairly quickly. Not a fan. I do however own a sumptuous Byrdland which sounds ridiculously good but was ridiculously expensive.

Last edited:
I had an Eastman T-185MX, which is like a 336. It was a great-sounding guitar. My H2 has alot more separation and each note has more body. The Eastman is gone.

For jazz, I LOVE my 359, but I dig my old CU 22 semi hollow LTD just as much. Not a fan of the PRS HBs, and never played a JA, but I would love to! The Walnut Semi hollow CU 22s are fantastic as well. I Jump between that one and the 359 a lot, and cant say i like either one more than the other. Both great guitars. The 359 is the loudest acoustically if that matters at all.

409377413.jpg

IMG_0422b_zps573e06e5.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the response everyone. Much appreciated.

I guess my following question is would there be a difference in capability for a jazz tone between singlecut hb and doublecut hb?

Thanks for the response everyone. Much appreciated.

I guess my following question is would there be a difference in capability for a jazz tone between singlecut hb and doublecut hb?

The larger resonator (a hollow body is a resonator) would make a theoretical difference, but guitar tone varies between individual examples.

I recently played a friend's Spruce Hollowbody Artist that sounded absolutely great, could do pretty much anything with it.

Remember that for a true jazz tone, you're going to want to roll the tone control on the guitar way down for a traditional jazz tone. The guitar can be as bright or dark as you want it. Very, very versatile.

Honestly, I get wonderful jazz tones from my McCarty Singlecut with the tone control rolled to about 3, and it's even easier to get a nice jazz tone from the HB.

Edit: It'd probably be a good idea to be a little more specific about jazz tones, since that's a pretty big category ranging from Charlie Christian to Scofield to Metheney to Burrell to Wes Montgomery, and they all do sound different. And then there's Les Paul who played, well...

Last edited:
Back