Is This A Custom SE Tremonti

the description says it has a trem so could be the picture which is not uncommon on Amazon.

Vintage Cherry is also in the description. That color is only available in the non custom, correct?

Vintage Cherry is also in the description. That color is only available in the non custom, correct?

Good call. The custom was black cherry quilt or something like that right?

Honestly, this is my first guitar. I wanted a good quality guitar for my first one. I am willing to pay for it. I never even heard about Mark Tremonti before I started this quest for my first guitar. I just heard and read great things about the SE Custom Tremonti.

The only issue with this guitar is that it has a tremolo. I have been told to not get a guitar with a tremolo for my first guitar. That led me to look at the SE Custom 24 but I do not like the colors. At least the ones on Amazon. I have to buy from Amazon because I have some credit there. I can look at the guitars at my local shop first though.

I know there are the non custom SE line but I rather spend the money to get the better quality in the SE Custom line.

I would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks

I own several SE guitars, and out of all of them, my 2012 SE Tremonti Custom is my favorite.
I see no reason to skip over the tremolo if this is your first guitar.
Never had a problem with any of mine.

However...I feel it is very important to establish a good relationship with a local PRS dealer who can handle the setups on your guitar and any other problems that may crop up.
I am a HUGE Amazon shopper, but I just prefer to deal with a brick and mortar store when it comes to shopping for a guitar.

Last edited:
Honestly, this is my first guitar. I wanted a good quality guitar for my first one. I am willing to pay for it. I never even heard about Mark Tremonti before I started this quest for my first guitar. I just heard and read great things about the SE Custom Tremonti.

The only issue with this guitar is that it has a tremolo. I have been told to not get a guitar with a tremolo for my first guitar. That led me to look at the SE Custom 24 but I do not like the colors. At least the ones on Amazon. I have to buy from Amazon because I have some credit there. I can look at the guitars at my local shop first though.

I know there are the non custom SE line but I rather spend the money to get the better quality in the SE Custom line.

I would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks

In PRS the term custom doesn't mean it's better than something without custom in the name. If you like the shape of the tremonti take a look at the se 245 If you don't want a trem. the custom 24 is trem equipped but properly setup you should be fine. You don't have to keep the arm on it. Really anything in the se line would be ok. Find one that you like the looks of and go for it. When it comes take it to a good local shop and get a full setup done. Most of them will come with 9's for string size which is just fine, they will be easy for new fingers to play. I'd start there probably.

Alternatively, you could maybe buy an amp from Amazon and get the guitar from a local shop?

I have to buy from Amazon because I have some credit there.

Alternatively, you could maybe buy an amp from Amazon and get the guitar from a local shop?

Yeah, I'm with DHW: I have no problem buying guitars on-line, but Amazon's listings have been a little haphazard recently regarding guitars, unlike, say Sweetwater or Brian's Guitars. Or even GC. :eek:

And yeah, sometimes the description is very accurate and the photo is not - I would lean more towards believing the description.

If you have a couple hundred dollars credit with Amazon, you may find the funds get used up on all those "other things" you suddenly need with a new guitar, some of which are included in the package you want to buy: strap, strings, capo, stand, cables to amp, your first effects pedal, and yes, the amp itself.

You could also call up Amazon's customer service, and talk to them about it - at first you will undoubtedly get someone who doesn't know a guitar from a drum, but eventually you may get passed to a product expert, and you can figure out what the listing really is supposed to be.

And finally, you could just buy the guitar as-listed, and see what shows up. If it isn't what you like, send it back!

One more thing...the product you linked has an Item Model Number of "JB-TRVC-KIT-2". Probably stands for Tremonti - Vintage Cherry - Kit#2.

This product is a non-custom SE Tremonti in Vintage Cherry, no kit, just guitar:

http://www.amazon.com/Paul-Reed-Smith-Guitars-TRVC/dp/B0053GPS0S

It has an Item Model Number of "TRVC" - Hey, Tremonti Vintage Cherry!

Whereas this package shows an actual Custom Tremonti, and is higher priced accordingly:

http://www.amazon.com/PRS-Mark-Tremonti-Tobacco-Sunburst-Accessories/dp/B00IEF1C8C

Item Model Number is "TRCTSQ-KIT-2" - Tremonti Custom Sunburst Quilt - Kit #2 is my guess.

So, ultimately my guess is the package you first linked is the non-custom Tremonti in Vintage Cherry, and the title/description is wrong (probably cut and pasted from the last kit I linked).

Back