Is PRS Coming Out With A New Amp?

It seems that they are. There have been rumors for a while now, and another forum member says that he saw some of the actual amps in the PRS factory (not in use).

The general consensus here seems to be that it is a cheaper amp, built overseas, but I don't think we have definite confirmation of that. Plus there could be more than one in the works, so...take it all with a grain of salt. :)

Debbie Downer Disclaimer----

It would be nice if PRS got away from their version of a Plexi this or Blackface that...and tried something like a JC clean or a Vox chimey...something with multiple channels and an effects loop...

There's more to life than trying to recreate 1959 over and over.

Flame away!

Tony

No flame here, and they have done some copying of old designs, but they have also tried to make some new unique amps. Whether or not they did so to your satisfaction is up to you.

The Archon has multiple channels and an FX loop. Not exactly a Plexi or Blackface copy either.

Just watched a vid on the new Petrucci C+ and was wondering.

The Petrucci amp looks cool, to be sure.

I like Mesa amps a lot, and have owned a bunch. In fact, I have a current Lone Star 100. But...

The PRS amps have more (and I hate to use this word because it's sometimes so overused) "musicality." I find that from the HXDA and DG30, which I have, to the Archon, to the 2-channel amps, there's a ton of musical flexibility, and beauty in the tones of the PRS amps. So when I use the word "musicality" I guess what I mean is that in the context of a musical part, or to express a musical idea with passion and subtlety, they are beautiful sounding amps.

No amp does everything, of course, and that's why I do occasionally use the Lone Star for what it does. Specifically, for me, that thing it does is have a crapload of Fender style clean headroom at 100 Watts. I don't make that much use of the gain channel, because the HXDA does that more to my liking.

But I think PRS amps are gems that more people might want to discover and work with, simply because they work so well in a musical context.

PS - have absolutely no idea what this rumored amp is going to be.

PS - I do think the Petrucci amp has some super-nice features, though I'm not a huge C+ fan, I do understand why people like them.

Someone at a music store asked me why I didn't play through PRS amps. I told him I really like my Mark V, and I need a solo boost, since we mix from the stage fairly often, and it's a fantastic feature. He said, "The Custom 50 amps do that". I said, yes they do. But the Custom 50 doesn't blow my hair back (metaphorically speaking) like my Mark V. The Custom 50 is a great amp - but it's not my Mesa.

I'd love to see a DG30 combo! Now that would be cool. I like to portability of combos as opposed to hauling heads and cabs to gigs.

You mean like this one?

DSCN1948_1780_zps6xhwju9k.jpg
DSCN1948_1780_zps6xhwju9k.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Someone at a music store asked me why I didn't play through PRS amps. I told him I really like my Mark V, and I need a solo boost, since we mix from the stage fairly often, and it's a fantastic feature. He said, "The Custom 50 amps do that". I said, yes they do. But the Custom 50 doesn't blow my hair back (metaphorically speaking) like my Mark V. The Custom 50 is a great amp - but it's not my Mesa.

True, it's really designed for a different player than someone who needs what the Mark V does in terms of gain, etc.

I liked my Mark V a whole bunch, but it turned out what I really craved was more of a vintage sound - and I get that with the HXDA and DG30. Despite that, when I wanted to add a Mesa to the studio, I thought about getting another Mark V.

But I decided to go with the Lone Star 100, which for me is a more workable compromise between the PRS thing and the Mesa thing (for what I do).

Amps are a lot of fun to play through, think about, and discuss. I believe they affect our overall sound more than any other piece of gear.

Debbie Downer Disclaimer----

It would be nice if PRS got away from their version of a Plexi this or Blackface that...and tried something like a JC clean or a Vox chimey.

Tony

If Doug Sewell designs something with El84s my bank account will be instantly lighter....

If Doug Sewell designs something with El84s my bank account will be instantly lighter....

That would be the DG30.

4 x EL84 (he does employ the Russian military version of the EL84, called the EL84 M because it lasts longer and can take more plate voltage).

So yes, you should lighten your bank account immediately.

I have one, and it's a phenomenal amp. It's the cream-colored one in the middle in this picture. You may find a different-sounding EL84 amp, but you won't find a better sounding one:

That would be the DG30.

4 x EL84 (he does employ the Russian military version of the EL84, called the EL84 M because it lasts longer and can take more plate voltage).

So yes, you should lighten your bank account immediately.

I have one, and it's a phenomenal amp. It's the cream-colored one in the middle in this picture. You may find a different-sounding EL84 amp, but you won't find a better sounding one:

Ha! I had no idea, and the right wattage too!

I recently watched an interview with Mark Tremonti from last year where he said he was in development stages with PRS on creating a signature, low wattage Archon of some sort? Anyone hear anything about that?

I recently watched an interview with Mark Tremonti from last year where he said he was in development stages with PRS on creating a signature, low wattage Archon of some sort? Anyone hear anything about that?
This is the rumored amp we are talking about.

Back