Intonating a CE24

Lukasz Witkowski

Hello
This may be a strange question but anyways :)
While intonating can you tighten the length of the string on the bridge saddle
so that you kind of jump an octave?
Cheers

Yeah that’s how I understood this also. My case is a typical ce24 with 10-46 strings. While trying to intonate the low E string I really gotta tighten the saddle screw. And I mean tight in a way the spring is squished totally. Seems really odd since I’d expect it to be designed to give the spring some slack. At this point a could not imagine going to a higher gauge.

Yeah that’s how I understood this also. My case is a typical ce24 with 10-46 strings. While trying to intonate the low E string I really gotta tighten the saddle screw. And I mean tight in a way the spring is squished totally. Seems really odd since I’d expect it to be designed to give the spring some slack. At this point a could not imagine going to a higher gauge.
I've had similar experiences. If it intonates it's not a big deal. If it does not you may want to check the neck relief? Maybe you have front bow? I had similar issues and realized the change of the seasons caused the neck to change on me. You can also trim the spring so it's not as long on the low E intonation screw.

So I tried neck relief. No changes. Went to lighter gauge - 9s. Tried several times to readjust and the low e saddle is not that tight now obviously but still pretty tight. This is very strange. So once the new set is not usable I’ll visit a tech and get a hands on check. Thanks for the feedback and your time anyways :) cheers

Bridge angle might have something to do with it also. If it’s pitched forward, then your saddles have to go further back.

Phil McKnight also says that when you bottom out the saddle it can mean that you actually went too far. He noted that it’s a bit counterintuitive. Reset the saddle to exactly 25” from the nut and try again.

Bridge angle might have something to do with it also. If it’s pitched forward, then your saddles have to go further back.

Phil McKnight also says that when you bottom out the saddle it can mean that you actually went too far. He noted that it’s a bit counterintuitive. Reset the saddle to exactly 25” from the nut and try again.

Bridge angle is a good point. Will check it thanks. As with the saddles I did go the try again from scratch route and got the same results while setting up. I’ll check the angle and setup again.

Btw currently low e scale is dead on 25inch.
This is how the bridge looks now
https://photos.app.goo.gl/KmWHKC6qRnFgjc1E8

KmWHKC6qRnFgjc1E8

I may be overreacting. But these are 9-42. 46 were tighter. Phill’s videos up next :)

It may just be the camera angle but are your fulcrum screws set correctly?
Oops like they are uneven.

Thanks for all y’all’s feedback much appreciated. So Phills and Cesar’s videos are awesome for the setup subject. I loosend the springs a bit the bridge was floating but less then the 1/16 inch recommended.
I setup again , tweaked the neck, tuned and started intonating again. Got to the same spot on my 9s.
My conclusion is it’s my skills (lack of) or my guitar :)
A luthier may be overdue here. One shop has a Plek maybe will give them a shot. But since nyxls longevity is strong in my case. This will take some time to sort out

Thanks for all y’all’s feedback much appreciated. So Phills and Cesar’s videos are awesome for the setup subject. I loosend the springs a bit the bridge was floating but less then the 1/16 inch recommended.
I setup again , tweaked the neck, tuned and started intonating again. Got to the same spot on my 9s.
My conclusion is it’s my skills (lack of) or my guitar :)
A luthier may be overdue here. One shop has a Plek maybe will give them a shot. But since nyxls longevity is strong in my case. This will take some time to sort out
Plek machine is for doing a fret dress, which is not your issue (I also kinda think they’re overrated).

Back