Info on first year 94 McCartys

tbp0701

There are some who call me ... Tim.
Hi all. My first post, but I've read and searched quite a bit and found some great information. Anyway, I'm considering buying my first PRS and have been particularly intrigued by the McCartys for some time. Since they're not currently in production I've been looking at the used market and found some that look great. One, however, is kind of puzzling. It's a 1994 model, signed by Paul Reed Smith on the back. However, the serial number predates the first 100 signed by Ted McCarty. Does anyone know what these are? And will I wind up kicking myself if I don't buy it, particularly if I buy a more recent one (2002 or so)? It is priced a bit higher than some later McCartys, but not astronomically so. I kind of like the coil tap of the more recent versions, and I'll be buying to play it, as I'm not much of a collector. But still, this one seems like it may be special. Thanks!

Figured I'd comment to get this on the front page one more time in case anyone happens by with some insight. Thanks.

I'm no expert, but I have read in the past that there are examples floating around that predate the "first 100", and they don't have a coil tap, or at least most of them don't. I couldn't tell you anything else about them. Just some forum members and members of Birds and Moons back in the day owned some of them.

Thanks. Okay, how about a good old buying advice question? Say you've never owned a PRS, are looking at some McCartys and came across three nice ones. Not mint, but played and taken care of: a 2002, a 1997 and a 1994; well, the '97 looks close to mint. The '94 predates the 100 signed by Ted and bears Paul's signature. The price difference between the '02 and '94 is $200, with the '97 right in the middle. You don't have a chance to play any before buying, but the '02 will have an inspection / return period and maybe the '97. Have a clear preference?

I would say it depends on your priorities. If you're looking for collectability, the '94 for sure. If you're looking for fancy tops, get the one with the fanciest top. For me, I'd be looking for the one that's black, or white, or goldtop, or doesn't have gold hardware. The McCarty didn't really vary that much during its initial run from '94 to '09 and PRS has consistently made an excellent product.

John - Thanks. I'm looking for one to play. I, too, dislike gold hardware and tend to shy away from fancy tops, abalone and the like. But I do find a lot of beauty in a well made, well designed, great sounding instrument. By far, the most I've spent on a guitar is an acoustic with minimal adornment, but I feel like clouds are parting whenever I play it. Guess I'm kind of looking for that in an electric now, which has steered me towards PRS.

I found that in a PRS. I hope you do too! I wish I could offer more advice on those but I'm guessing they're all going to be great.

This is my absolutely no frills rock machine. Custom 22. DGT pickups. Unsurpassed (not for lack of trying either!) in tone and playability.

IMG_20120518_195843.jpg

John - Now that's beautiful. Thanks.

Markie - Good point, thank you.

I know it's been a few months, but 2 questions . . . which one did you end up buying and did you find anything out about the '94?

I know it's been a few months, but 2 questions . . . which one did you end up buying and did you find anything out about the '94?

I was surprised to see this brought up, but I see you're looking at a similar--or possibly the same--'94. Anyway, I talked to the seller of the '94 a bit but decided that I'd probably be a little too concerned about not keeping that one in pristine condition and it should go to a collector. A short time later the listing was removed, but I don't know if it sold or he decided to keep it. As for the others, one sold pretty quickly and the seller for the other never responded. So the short answer is I didn't buy any of them.

Back