Increased hum from my PRS compared to other guitars

BryanSum

I just purchased a used 1998 Custom 22 with the Dragon pickup in the bridge and a I also own an Ibanez JS2410 with the DiMarzio Mo' Joe humbucker in the bridge. Plugged into the same rig/pedalboard with medium-high gain settings the PRS produces significantly more hum than my Ibanez (could be described as a high-pitched screeching noise, especially when I turn on the wah). I've tried lowering the bridge pickups slightly but there's still significant hum coming from the guitar. No problems with the neck pickup though.

Would appreciate if someone more knowledgeable here could help me out with this - could it be an electronics/shielding issue in my guitar?

PRSes generally don't do that.

I'd have it checked out. It's possible that in the 15-16 years since the guitar was made, it's been modded, or someone fussed with the electronics (and screwed something up), or maybe something simply came loose.

Hello Bryan,
sorry to hear that your axe gives you troubles.
I've a 1997 Custom 22 with Dragon II, no noise and no hum (stock from factory); i could think what LSchefman told you: someone changed something in the electronics?
Best wishes,

Thanks for the replies, i'd get it checked out. A great guitar but unfortunately I can't gig with it since noise control is an issue.

it is interesting that as we are in the "PTC - PRS Tech Center" forum no help comes from there....
just wondering!

Perhaps you have a Dragon II that someone has removed the covers and wax potting making it more microphonic!

Back