I did a thing too... (nssd)

Jimi D

@ the hundredth meridian
Whelp, I've been kind of sort of jonesing for a Silver Sky since they were introduced, but despite playing them a few times in the shop I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on account of these:

TXUzvRs.jpg

These are my Strats, and I searched long and hard to find them. Up top is a 2010 American Vintage '61 "Thin Skin", Candy Apple Red nitro, Fat 50s pickups, 9.5" neck radius and 6105 frets, weighing in at 7 lb 8 oz. Below it is a 2013 American Vintage '65 in Shoreline Gold with matching headstock, the famous grey bottom pickups, 7.25" radius and vintage frets, 7 lb 10 oz. Both are obscenely good guitars; resonant, acoustically loud, toneful, super easy to play... I spent years looking for and finding these. My goal has always been to have just one perfect Strat for me, and the plan when I picked up the '65 was to live with them both a while and sell one, but I could never bring myself to do it. I really love both these guitars, and holding either in my hand just feels right. So, ya, as lovely as the Silver Sky was, in my house I felt it would really be redundant...

Well, until this one popped up on my radar:

lh3KoSC.jpg

This is a 2022 Polar Blue Silver Sky with a 57/08 bridge pickup courtesy the TGS Mod Shop... Because a Silver Sky with a humbucker in the bridge isn't redundant at all. ;)

Oc055RP.jpg

sPK4pKC.jpg

Di9NShn.jpg

eK9my4K.jpg

eMvxZ5R.jpg

Ryan at The Guitar Shop routed a brand new Silver Sky for a humbucker, then made a custom pickguard and wired up a 57/08 Treble in the bridge with the 635JM neck and middle pickups and otherwise standard SS wiring, and it's magic! I love 57/08s and this one works beautifully here, balancing very nicely with the single coils. I'm thinking this might partly be due to the 300K volume pot I read they use in the SS but whatever it is it's a pretty nice match. Excepting the slight route and the bridge pickup, everything's 100% Silver Sky. Plays like a dream, rings like a bell, weighs in at very back-friendly 7 lbs. 4 oz.. The only thing I haven't decided on yet is whether I should float the bridge which is generally my preference (my Strats and other PRS with trems all have them set to float)... I'm going to leave it with the JM-approved setup for now and see how I feel about it in a couple weeks... For today I'm honeymooning, and a very happy camper indeed.

Last edited:
That looks like the perfect Silver Sky to me. Well, almost perfect. It would be prefect if it were red like your top strat. The SSS pickup configuration is one thing that has kept me from really getting the GAS for a Silver Sky. I am not a fan of a single coil pickup at the bridge position on a strat. I have one in that configuration in case I really want to use that pickup in that position. However, I have several HSS guitars because that configuration just works better for me. I have thought that the Fiore had the edge on the Silver Sky for this exact reason, plus I like the look better with no pickguard. I am also a HUGE fan of the 57/08 pickups. Congrats on the new guitar! It is the best Silver Sky I have seen so far.

Looks like a very nicely-done mod. And I'm sure that the 57/08 is a great tonal fit in the bridge position of an S-style guitar. Great score!

Very nice.. congrats.
How would this now compare to a Fiore?

Even though my Silver Sky is HSS now, the Fiore is just such a different animal that I don't think they're comparable on anything but a superficial level. The Fiore's got different pickups and wiring options, a different trem, a different body wood, a different neck carve, fretboard radius and headstock, and all I've done here is get a 57/08 installed at the bridge. Philip McKnight posted a "deep dive" comparison video on Youtube with a Fiore with a Silver Sky a little over a year ago; as I recall that video pretty clearly delineates the significant differences between the two models...

I think I need to stop playing long enough to string it up with my strings and adjust the action a touch lower... maybe tweak the pickup heights a bit on the neck and middle...

qs1ZuR9.jpg

OdbKZ9R.jpg

Last edited:
Had this out with the band last night. Used it for the first song and never put it down. Took me a couple songs to tweak in my amp and pedal board, but once I did it was all so easy. Spent most of the night riding the volume on the bridge pickup and positions 2 & 4, but every position sounded great; the 635JMs are amazing pickups, so articulate and never harsh. I dropped both tone controls to ~8.5 early on and left them there all night. This is a very player friendly and musical guitar; I’m really glad I picked it up.

Last edited:
Whelp, I've been kind of sort of jonesing for a Silver Sky since they were introduced, but despite playing them a few times in the shop I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on account of these:

TXUzvRs.jpg

These are my Strats, and I searched long and hard to find them. Up top is a 2010 American Vintage '61 "Thin Skin", Candy Apple Red nitro, Fat 50s pickups, 9.5" neck radius and 6105 frets, weighing in at 7 lb 8 oz. Below it is a 2013 American Vintage '65 in Shoreline Gold with matching headstock, the famous grey bottom pickups, 7.25" radius and vintage frets, 7 lb 10 oz. Both are obscenely good guitars; resonant, acoustically loud, toneful, super easy to play... I spent years looking for and finding these. My goal has always been to have just one perfect Strat for me, and the plan when I picked up the '65 was to live with them both a while and sell one, but I could never bring myself to do it. I really love both these guitars, and holding either in my hand just feels right. So, ya, as lovely as the Silver Sky was, in my house I felt it would really be redundant...

Well, until this one popped up on my radar:

lh3KoSC.jpg

This is a 2022 Polar Blue Silver Sky with a 57/08 bridge pickup courtesy the TGS Mod Shop... Because a Silver Sky with a humbucker in the bridge isn't redundant at all. ;)

Oc055RP.jpg

sPK4pKC.jpg

Di9NShn.jpg

eK9my4K.jpg

eMvxZ5R.jpg

Ryan at The Guitar Shop routed a brand new Silver Sky for a humbucker, then made a custom pickguard and wired up a 57/08 Treble in the bridge with the 635JM neck and middle pickups and otherwise standard SS wiring, and it's magic! I love 57/08s and this one works beautifully here, balancing very nicely with the single coils. I'm thinking this might partly be due to the 300K volume pot I read they use in the SS but whatever it is it's a pretty nice match. Excepting the slight route and the bridge pickup, everything's 100% Silver Sky. Plays like a dream, rings like a bell, weighs in at very back-friendly 7 lbs. 4 oz.. The only thing I haven't decided on yet is whether I should float the bridge which is generally my preference (my Strats and other PRS with trems all have them set to float)... I'm going to leave it with the JM-approved setup for now and see how I feel about it in a couple weeks... For today I'm honeymooning, and a very happy camper indeed.
Dude…you are my hero.

Back