HXDA suddenly failed - bias adjust reads 0 mV

I have a call into PRS to find out if fast-blo are indeed preferred. I've seen some conflicting info on-line.

I've ordered some fast-blow fuses from Amazon just in case. If I find out in time that the slo-blo are the way to go, I can probably cancel my order.

And Shawn/Shaun (was that you, Mr Nuthall?) just called back. After checking with Doug Sewell, the fuses are indeed supposed to be slo-blo, as I had first guessed.

Order for fast-blow fuses cancelled with Amazon.

So I was pondering, in my techie nerd state of mind from some actual work stuff I was pondering, what to do with the old tubes.

One is failed, the other presumably still works.

Is there any cool art project I can do with them? I have a steam-punk bowler hat (adorned with gears and goggles) - I suppose I could add them to that, although steam-punk by definition didn't use electricity, it used ... steam.

Should I keep the working one in reserve in the rare chance I might stumble upon a matching tube? Or not even care if it is perfectly matched? See this link for a discussion on the pros/cons of purposely using mis-matched pairs:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-...5198-mismatched-power-tubes-better-sound.html

Or just assume that because the other in the pair failed, the still-working one is not long from failure as well, regardless of whether I find it a useful match?

Thoughts?

Groan. I should have...

seen that coming.

I was away earlier and my phone wouldn't cooperate, thus I couldn't reply with what my brain was shouting at the phone...

5863d83d143d6db30be753e7b626c4cde6552592f1f26601d60cf659b0b5c011.jpg

So I was pondering, in my techie nerd state of mind from some actual work stuff I was pondering, what to do with the old tubes.

One is failed, the other presumably still works.

Is there any cool art project I can do with them? I have a steam-punk bowler hat (adorned with gears and goggles) - I suppose I could add them to that, although steam-punk by definition didn't use electricity, it used ... steam.

Should I keep the working one in reserve in the rare chance I might stumble upon a matching tube? Or not even care if it is perfectly matched? See this link for a discussion on the pros/cons of purposely using mis-matched pairs:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-...5198-mismatched-power-tubes-better-sound.html

Or just assume that because the other in the pair failed, the still-working one is not long from failure as well, regardless of whether I find it a useful match?

Thoughts?

I wonder if having the one tube blow puts enough stress on the working one to make it less useful? I’ve always just replaced both.

As to projects...

I sometimes take used ones and stand them up on a studio shelf with a pin guide thingy. I know, it’s goofy, and hardly artistic, but I kinda like looking at tubes. If I was the creative type, I’d make a model of the ENIAC computer from 1946 that used 14,768 tubes.

“You don’t have that many tubes, dude.”

“It’d be a very small model.”

OK. Why’s “that’s what she said” a thing? Or an internet meme with a picture? I don’t get it. Is it a humor thing? A cultural phenomenon? Something from TV/movies? Why’s that guy yelling it? Why are his eyeballs bloodshot?

Why does everyone else seem to be familiar with this meme, while I am completely mystified by it?

And if it’s cool to say it, why do my kids never say that?

Moreover, what’s it got to do with leprechauns operating my computer keyboard?

Last edited:
OK. Why’s “that’s what she said” a thing? Or an internet meme with a picture? I don’t get it. Is it a humor thing? A cultural phenomenon? Something from TV/movies? Why’s that guy yelling it? Why are his eyeballs bloodshot?

Why does everyone else seem to be familiar with this meme, while I am completely mystified by it?

facepalm.png

It's not something one says to one's parents.

Although my daughter said it to me a couple weeks ago and I nearly teared up with pride...

Ah, where to start?

Les, it is in reference to what a woman might say to a man in regards to, or in response to, certain, um, interactions. The details and context of which can vary immensely, thus leading to intended or unintended innuendo.

For example, the phrase I just used: "It can vary immensely" might be a reference to something else, ifyaknowwhatimean, thus followed up by "That's what she said!"

And so the cool kids could say it occasionally, but not to one's parents. I suspect it is now more of a Dad joke in terms of audience - I doubt a millennial or Gen-Z would be caught saying it.

I doubt a millennial or Gen-Z would be caught saying it.

Yeah, if I said that I’d get an earful of “That’s so lame, Dad.” My daughters would give me the evil eye, and my son would do an eyeroll and that ‘just stop it’ headshake.

Then they’d all look at each other with that “I sure hope Dad dies soon, so we don’t have any more embarrassing/humiliating moments like this” expression on their faces.

And of course they’d be right!

Explanations appreciated nonetheless.

Last edited:
Yeah, if I said that I’d get an earful of “That’s so lame, Dad.” My daughters would give me the evil eye, and my son would do an eyeroll and that ‘just stop it’ headshake.

Then they’d all look at each other with that “I sure hope Dad dies soon, so we don’t have any more embarrassing/humiliating moments like this” expression on their faces.

My daughter still thinks I'm really funny. If what you are describing is what happens when you get old though, then that's yet another reason I don't want to get old!

And you didn’t follow up with “pull my finger”??!! No wonder they’re ready to send you to hospice. What an embarrassment to tasteless joke delivery.

Les, you may be more familiar with "said the actress to the Bishop".

https://www.quora.com/Phrase-Origins-Where-did-the-saying-thats-what-she-said-come-from

TWSS starts here....

Garth: “Hey are you through yet? Cause I’m getting tired of holding this.
”Wayne: “That’s what she said.”

If you don't know who Wayne and Garth are, I give up :D

Back