HXDA suddenly failed - bias adjust reads 0 mV

No wonder they’re ready to send you to hospice. What an embarrassment to tasteless joke delivery.

The good news about hospice is they give you morphine when you’re ready to exit, so you go in your sleep without pain. The bad news about hospice is when you do make that exit, there’s no coming back.

So there’s some give and take there.

The good news about hospice is they give you morphine when you’re ready to exit, so you go in your sleep without pain. The bad news about hospice is when you do make that exit, there’s no coming back.

So there’s some give and take there.
On that note, are you a fan of the “strictly Duane” mode on the HXDA? I know you like the more treble side, but I vaguely recall you having a good experience with the DA stuff. Somewhat Grissom-ish? Earthy, deep, and ballsy?

Last edited:
My kids never thought I was funny after they got older than about two.

Buy hey, getting old’s not for sissies!
Actually, it has gone in phases. When she was younger, I was funny. Then she got in high school, and I wasn’t funny anymore. The funniest part of that being, all her friends who used to hang out here used to tell her how funny I was and of course, she was embarrassed. Then when she got in college I got funny again. Hopefully this time will last til I get old and grumpy.

On that note, are you a fan of the “strictly Duane” mode on the HXDA? I know you like the more treble side, but I vaguely recall you having a good experience with the DA stuff. Somewhat Grissom-ish? Earth, deep, and ballsy?

I usually set the switches DA, DA, HX. But I like it all DA, too. Depends on the guitar and/or the tune. I was listening to the Allmans just this afternoon in the car, and that’s pretty close to the tone I like to get with it.

I think of the tone as being greasy, fat-bottomed, and just a little bit dirty when it’s all DA.

On that note, are you a fan of the “strictly Duane” mode on the HXDA? I know you like the more treble side, but I vaguely recall you having a good experience with the DA stuff. Somewhat Grissom-ish? Earthy, deep, and ballsy?
So this prompts me to relate what happened last night at practice - I had the amp in DA/HX/DA mode, I think, maybe all DA. We picked a song to play, and I decided that the current tone was just a tad too "dark and muddy" for that song, so I flipped them all to HX. Ah, yes, that's the tone I want! I turned to the rest of the bad and declared "I really love this amp, I can tweak it just how I want it!" They all gave me that look of "well, sounds the same to me, but whatever dude, as long as you're happy..."

Anyone else experience that?

Just when I think my wife couldn’t care less about my guitars and gear, I tell her about what I post here. :rolleyes: “You’re going to spend $150 on another pickup? OMG...”

Mrs. B: “Another guitar??!! What’s wrong with all these (rotating finger pointing around living room)?”
Me: “this is an old project I’ve had on hold for 3 years...”
Mrs. B: mmm hmm *tersed lips and doubting eyebrows*
Me: “oh, and there’s another one where that came from, too”
Mrs. B: *eyes widen to the point of bugging out* “great...”
Me: *sh@t eatin’ grin* :D

Yep. I used to get, "And you need this one why?" I think my wife mostly just humors me when I talk about how the guitars sound different, but she also can hear the difference with some of them. I have a Larrivee acoustic that she has told me I'm not to get rid of. She thinks (and I agree) that it's the best sounding acoustic I own.

Actually, it has gone in phases. When she was younger, I was funny. Then she got in high school, and I wasn’t funny anymore. The funniest part of that being, all her friends who used to hang out here used to tell her how funny I was and of course, she was embarrassed. Then when she got in college I got funny again. Hopefully this time will last til I get old and grumpy.

Pretty much the same for me. My kids went through much the same stuff, although my son won't always admit that he finds me funny - I just find him repeating stuff or making similar comments. Then I know I've done well.

They all gave me that look of "well, sounds the same to me, but whatever dude, as long as you're happy..."

One day I was showing my HXDA off to a guitar playing pal, and I was demonstrating how creamy, buttery and authentic the late 60s tone was. I also flipped switches, and went through the features, talking about how Duane Allman sounded, etc.

His response was, “Cool, can you get it to sound like Van Halen?” :rolleyes:

One day I was showing my HXDA off to a guitar playing pal, and I was demonstrating how creamy, buttery and authentic the late 60s tone was. I also flipped switches, and went through the features, talking about how Duane Allman sounded, etc.

His response was, “Cool, can you get it to sound like Van Halen?” :rolleyes:

Hey, sorry about that Les, but at least you called me a “guitar playing pal” so I’m taking this as an overall win.

Back