How to hook up my laptop to my guitar and amp with an audio interface

Pine Cone

I've been looking at Bias FX (a digital effects program) to be the end all for all those pedals I've always wanted, but I don't quite know how to hook up my laptop.

Do you guys know of a good cheap audio interface that allows for a guitar cable input and output and USB? I don't need anything else on it. If not, would I have to switch down to headphone size wires and then get adapters on the end so they can plug into guitar cable sized plugins?

Has anyone done this? I've been looking on Amazon, but everything is either really expensive or uses headphone wire sized inputs.

Yep, the Alesis Guitar Link works I've used one for a while, there are quite a few different ones out there with a quick Google. There's also Bias FX support.

I got a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 from Sweetwater when they had a special on it. It will take 2 inputs, has USB and even provides phantom 48 volts if you want to use a condenser mic. Comes with Cubase software.

I got a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 from Sweetwater when they had a special on it. It will take 2 inputs, has USB and even provides phantom 48 volts if you want to use a condenser mic. Comes with Cubase software.

I use a Scarlet unit as well, very easy to do. I use the 2i4 and run 2 mics on my cab. But you can go straight into the Scarlet unit with your guitar and use modeling software as well. I've not done it that way yet, but lots of people do.

I go from my axe to a Pod HD500X (hang a left here and connect USB to my Mac) then standard cable to my amp. This way I can hear what I'm doing. You're not getting the tube warmth and cab characteristics, but you can take an output from the amp, down to an 1/8 male plug and go into a sound card or get a focusrite and go in that way. Or get a mic and put it next to the speakers on your cab, and go to your PC that way. Bottom line is, if you can capture the sound and it's sounds good to you then what else can you ask for?

Here's a couple of good how to -

Last edited:
Thanks for your help guys! I had a sweet deal, but it went out of stock and stayed out of stock, so now I have to reconsider. Would a Behringer UM2 Audio interface do the same deal as the Focusrite Scarlet? They look similar, just the Behringer is simpler.

I just want to clarify, I can't just run 1/8" cables to my laptop microphone input and out of the headphones output with 1/4 adapters on each end, correct?

And if I do USB to 1/4" I would have to grab 2 of them, one for input one for output right?

Another vote for the Scarlet here.

I run it a few ways:
- Guitar Direct -> Scarlet (then Amplitube)
- XLR Line out from Fender Mustang -> Scarlet
- SM58 -> Scarlet

And I use it as my headphone monitor.

If it's good enough for Misha Mansoor, it's way too good enough for me.

Thanks for your help guys! I had a sweet deal, but it went out of stock and stayed out of stock, so now I have to reconsider. Would a Behringer UM2 Audio interface do the same deal as the Focusrite Scarlet? They look similar, just the Behringer is simpler.

I just want to clarify, I can't just run 1/8" cables to my laptop microphone input and out of the headphones output with 1/4 adapters on each end, correct?

And if I do USB to 1/4" I would have to grab 2 of them, one for input one for output right?

Take it from someone that tried and failed to make this setup work with a laptop. It will never give you satisfactory audio results.

PRSi--->Digitech RP355--->Focusrite Scarlette Solo--->RCA outputs to a cheap stereo receiver(just for this application)--->Yamaha NS-10s with subwoofer.
The Focusrite USB cable to the Laptop--->Ableton Live. This is as low budget as I could configure with my existing, bought and paid for, hardware for the home 'studio'(using that term very, very loosely).

Especially if you don't need outputs there are a lot of cheap options out there that should work fine. Trying to get in into your computer's mic input though will only give mediocre to terrible results.

Surely, the cable you have is ¼" jack to USB? Nothing else required as far as I'm aware unless you mean something else?

Back