Home recording using MIDI and a DAW

EasyWorkFlow

Hello Friends,

I just posted the below the post in the the Roland Vguitar forum. I am including same post here because I only own one guitar which is a custom 24 semi-hollow body I recieved two days ago from eBay. Guitar is absolutely mint ( I don't think it was ever played) and would love to keep her depending on the answers I get from the MIDI guitarists and home recoding enthusiasts on this forum because you also understand the beauty, sound, playability and overall feel of a PRS.

HERE IS BEGINNING OF POST

I am a newbie to guitar synths and home recording. I just purchased Ableton which is a DAW and their "Push" instrument/controller I have been playing guitar for 37 years and want to use my guitar as my primary instrument/controller. I just purchased my only electric guitar to me name which was a used PRS of Ebay. I spent my almost two months of my Social Security Disability Checks on this beauty which was $2,600. I have 12 days left to return her if I made a bad decision. My income is very limited so I need to get this right the first time around. I do NOT plan on gigging anytime soon so whatever you recommend, please keep in mind this is strictly for home recording. I also have another $1000 to play with when my next SSDI check comes in next month.

So here are my options and I sure would appreciate your opinions. I am going to go with whatever the majority of you recommend.

1.) I love the fishman triple play and would like to add that pickup to my new PRS as long as it fits and does not cause any damage to the finish in the event I want to remove it. Here is pic of guitar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-PRS-CU...H-/141594686339?ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:1653

2. I am impulsive and I bought the PRS guitar because I wanted this model but couldn't afford the $3799 for new model. . As beautiful as she is, I would return her in a nano second and use the $2,600 for a different setup if you recommended my money being better spent. . I could purchase the Godin hollow-body with Tripleplay built in for about $2000 and have $600 left over. Not sure if the audio pickups will be as good as the PRS. Here is Godin guitar. http://www.godinguitars.com/godinpremieretripleplayp.htm] http://www.godinguitars.com/godinpremieretripleplayp.htm
Or I could just pickup their session giuitar for about a grand and have $1,600 left to play with. http://www.godinguitars.com/godintripleplayp.htm

I am more of a heavy blues/hard rock/almost metal player so not sure if the hollowbody Godin would do the trick

3.) I have been checking out the new GP-10 and could purchase a used Godin LGX guitar ,the GP-10 and also have enough to get the Godin session. Although that sounds like a smart deal, I don't want to get too overwhelmed but at same time want to have all my sonic possibilities covered.

4.) I was also checking out the new Boss GT-001 because I want to be able to get heavy analog tones into Ableton. I was thinking that the PRS mounted with Tripleplay and having the GT-001 would cover almost all tones I need.

5.) I also understand their are many cool software plugins like Guitar Rig which Elantric mentioned to me in a PM I sent him so that is another option.

So basically, I can keep PRS guitar and add FTP pickup, pickup the GT-001 and think I may be OK with this setup. Or I can return PRS, start from scratch, and with your advise, use the $2,600 more prudently.

Thanks everyone for your advice. It means everything to me because I am clueless at the moment and what should be fun is causing me nothing but anxiety. I just want to record and make music because last two years of my life sucked trying to recover from my accident.
And a thanks to Elantric for trying to read the long novel I sent him last night.

To your health & happiness

BobbyD

THIS IS END OF POST ON FORUM

So what would you do? I love the guitar and thought the Tripleplay would be mountable on it without hurting the finish if I had to remove it. If you have a PRS guitar and a tripleplay pickup, I really could use your advice. I don't mind having the Tripleplay on a 10 top because I am more concerned about the playability and tone I will get from the 5909 pickups and also the overall playability of guitar. I would also send back in a nano second if you had any better suggestions. I really appreciate the time you took to read this email and respond. The last two years were tortuous for me and I am still going to physical therapy to get my body working again. All I want to do is play and have fun writing and recording music, not stressing over the gear I bought.

God Bless

BobbyD

Terrible. Bridge was screwed up and sent it back the same day I got it. Never even plugged into an amp. I would try the Godin if you are looking for a guitar with built in Tripleplay.

If you're only planning to use it for the purpose of recording into your DAW with soft synths, then you may want to check out "MIDI Guitar" by Jam Origin. It's a pretty cheap plugin which requires absolutly no modifications to your guitar or special pickups. Version 2 is currently in BETA so will probably be released in a couple of months and already its a great improvement on version 1 tracking wise. It's both monophonic and polyphonic.

Back