Hollowbody with FILTERTRONS??

tonyvenn

Hello...

I have no idea if this topic has ever been broached...

I'm GASing for a Gretsch Country Gent or perhaps a White Falcon centerblock.

Looking at the specs of both, it seems like they're as thick as a PRS Hollowbody....

One huge difference, the Gretsch models appear to be ALL maple. Maple sides and backs, maple necks, with ebony fingerboards.

So I have to ask....has PRS ever done a semi-hollow or full hollow with Filtertrons?

Kinda like...their "tribute" to a Gretsch?

There is a company in the UK...Creamery Pickups, that make humbucker-sized Filtertrons....

Do Gretsch guitars get their sound because of the woods...or because of the pickups?

Gretsch is fine, but I'd like to stay in the PRS family of models.

Suggestions? Comments??

Tony

Should be an interesting experiment, but I don't know how much like a Gretsch it will sound. I have a Chet Atkins, and a big part of the tone and feel seems to be the construction. It has a TOM style bridge floating on a wood base, and a Bigsby. To get similar response/sustain from a PRS, you'd probably need to anchor the bridge in something like marshmallows. That's not a knock on my Gretsch, it has it's own unique sound, and is great for all the things people use Gretsch's for - plus it looks very cool.

Tom

The original USA made Starla pickups are PRS' take on Filtertrons. In fact, the Starla prototypes were made with actual FTs. The vibe is very Gretsch-solidbody.

Whether they've been used in a Hollowbody build or not I couldn't say. Could be cool.

The original USA made Starla pickups are PRS' take on Filtertrons. In fact, the Starla prototypes were made with actual FTs. The vibe is very Gretsch-solidbody.

Whether they've been used in a Hollowbody build or not I couldn't say. Could be cool.
That's exactly what I was thinking...drop Starla pups into an HB.

Back