Hollowbody depth ?? Is the single cutaway HBII a thicker body?

edhamgtr

Does the PRS SingleCut HBII a have thicker body than a regular HBII??

I played on once and had that impression but not really sure.

thanks!

I have both. If I get a chance, I will pull them out and measure. However, I don't remember seeing a difference when playing them.

From what I can tell is that the singlecut has a maple cap that is slightly thinner than the DC. I believe they are both the same thickness but the SC has a thicker middle layer to get a total of about 2.75 inches. This is from memory and don’t take it as the gospel.

DC is .804 inches x2 + 1.125 inches for the middle block.
DC is .625 inches x2 + 1.5 inches for middle block.

They don’t feel too much except the SC feels to have less neck dive of the two. Most people don’t really have too much of an issue with that though.

I look forward to being corrected if wrong. Talk amongst yourselves…

I pulled both guitars out to look at them and measure them this morning. I never noticed the difference in them before but see it now that I am looking for it. The SC HBII is 2 1/8" thick at the edge. The HBII is 1 5/8" thick at the edge. Here is where they are different. At their thickest point they look to be the same thickness. The double cut has much more of a carve/taper to the edge of the guitar. The single cut has less of a carve and taper to the edge of the guitar. This is why they feel close the same when playing them. I don't have anything to measure with that will get me the full thickness measurement. I need something that can reach across the body past the carved area to get that measurement.

Back