Hmmm..what to do with this old cigar box?....

Huggy Love

Vintage member
......What are you gonna with it Huggy?....... that old things been sitting around for how long?....... all it holds is spare keys?..... ....toss it?........ .........no, it belonged to Pop...... ....but I don't really use it.....

.....hey wait a minuteo_O.......... OK so you've become a pick nerd after the boutique plectrum escapade, and you've seen those stooped display cases they sell that are as overpriced as some of their picks.....

..........now grab that stray piece of your workout mat and some scissors...........

.............Aw yeah!!, that's the ticket!!........... ...........classy...... .....I like it..... ....kinda gansta style. If Al Capone was a shredder, he would have wanted one of these babies!!!:cool:

Nice idea. But too neat. Mine are sitting all higgly piggly in a wooden bowl. At least the ones that get played.

Nice idea. But too neat. Mine are sitting all higgly piggly in a wooden bowl. At least the ones that get played.

I keep mine in some wooden bowls, too...I have this fascination with pretty woods...imagine that!!!!
My wife and I are always on the lookout for pretty turned handmade bowls at flea markets and yard sales...
But Serg might be on to something????

Huh - never thought of using a cigar box for my picks. My father-in-law had a bunch (didn't smoke 'em, just liked the boxes), and I've been considering using one for an amp project (saw a kit online), but something like this is far more in line with my skills...

I keep mine in some wooden bowls, too...I have this fascination with pretty woods...imagine that!!!!
My wife and I are always on the lookout for pretty turned handmade bowls at flea markets and yard sales...
But Serg might be on to something????
Mine too. My uncle makes bowls. It's pretty cool looking.

I like this and have looked into it but can't find a decent neck kit. Any suggestions anyone? I have a larger wooden Fuente Opus X box that would be killer for this

Just make a neck. There are plenty of plans online.

Long before I started working at PRS, I made a cigar Box guitar. Most CBG's only have three strings, but not knowing any better I made mine with 6 strings. Looking back at it now, there are a million things wrong with it, but it was a fun project.

After becoming a pick nerd I had to graduate from swirling my hand around in a bowl (which is what I was doing:p) for the right pick for that ultimate riff.
As for Serge's suggestion, like I said "too small", he must be a lightweight.:rolleyes:

We should have a forum, "Build a Cigar Box Guitar Challenge".

Cigar box guitars look fun and can sound incredible in the right hands. Any news on Paul's Home Depot guitar challenge idea? It has been a popular theme throughout Internet forum land and Youtube and it would be interesting to see how the big players would approach this, using nothing more than a Swiss Army Knife and a match box for finishing of course!

Back