Help me make my 2002 Swamp Ash Special happy

PietPompies

I scored a really nice 2002 Swamp Ash Special recently and was wondering which string gauge the shipped with from the factory. I'd like to put some strings on it that it shipped with.

I know PRS shipped USA guitars with 9's at some stage, but when did they switch over to 10's?

Last edited:
Odd, I would have a tech look at it. I use 10-52 D'addario NYXLs on my older CE24 and 22 and have no issues at all. Your SAS is pretty much the same construction as my CE22, just a maple board and an extra pickup, if I remember correctly.

I run 9's on mine. It is the most perfectly set up PRS I have, thanks to Philtone Music in Baltimore. I live in Washington, DC, but it's worth the drive. He used to work at the factory, and is a real trained luthier. I think you get a better rhythm sound with 9's on this model. Is it a maple fingerboard?

They came with 9's, but there should be no problem running bigger strings. Something is definitely wonky.
If they shipped with 9's, and the guitar was set up specifically for 9's, then the OP will likely need to slightly widen the nut slots for a higher gauge (even 10's). If not, we will see yet another "Tuning Issues" thread, and correct responses will be "Check your nut slots". :cool:

Back