Hello! New Member and NGD help me ID this McCarty

carolinaeasy

Hello everyone,

I am a new member here but have long been involved at other guitar-centered forums, such as Strat-Talk, TDPRI, and The Gear Page. I have been playing guitar since the Christmas of 1999 when my parents bought me my first guitar, a Squier Standard in Black w/Maple. Since that time I have accumulated a pile of keeper guitars, and have owned close to another 50 which have made their way in and out of my hands. Ultimately, I fell in love with a couple of Fender Custom Shops and a Rickenbacker. But I never could find a dual humbucker guitar that I liked. I have owned 14 different Gibsons, from varying degrees of costs, age, and condition. But I never found a keeper. That eventually led me to PRS. A teaching buddy of mine has a PRS SE Custom 22 and I played it and loved the feel, and thought that the quality was superb in comparison to many similarly priced guitars from other brands. So that set me out on a search, I considered a Zach Myers, a Chris Robertson, and even an S2 Singlecut, but in the end, I decided to go core series. As of last night, I acquired my first PRS, a 2001 PRS McCarty. I believe it is a Standard, but I figured I would get some expert opinions on it here. I bought it for, what I believe to be, a good deal at $1200.

As an aside, I am a school teacher, and along with our tech ed department run a guitar builders club where our students make Fender Tele and Strat style guitars from blocks of wood. I recently reached out to PRS for a tour and we are getting a group tour from one of the engineers in early March. Anyway, enough about that...here are the McCarty pics.
jmfdgm5fxi5yr420oels.jpg

q3cec5u0yehqm7hq5orz.jpg

g1bakzdokqjvlqmddus2.jpg

rwodrfjtdwahuccxotjp.jpg

da6mygmwkzhf9aea4vnv.jpg

cbmhomyc0ck1hriukfkg.jpg

Thanks, I thought so. It looked like mahogany to me. The seller had it listed as a McCarty and didn't seem to know anything else about it.

Yea looks to be a "Standard" or no maple top McCarty that is all Mahogany.

Personally I love the full mahogany guitars, they really cut through and play wonderfully.

Nice pickup!

Yea looks to be a "Standard" or no maple top McCarty that is all Mahogany.

Personally I love the full mahogany guitars, they really cut through and play wonderfully.

Nice pickup!
Thanks, I am really excited to get it into my hands. We have a gig coming up on the 26th that I plan on taking this and my Nocaster to in order to cover my bases.

That's awesome about the building program and getting a tour of the PRS facility!
The program has been incredible, and when we reached out the staff at PRS was incredible to work with. Several of the students are actually looking at going to luthier's school.

You do realize you're creating guitar addicts?

Cool program and cool guitar. I own a McCarty too but with maple top.

1st mod shall be John Mann locking klusons, trust me. That is if you like 10 minute string changes.

Hello everyone,

I am a new member here but have long been involved at other guitar-centered forums, such as Strat-Talk, TDPRI, and The Gear Page. I have been playing guitar since the Christmas of 1999 when my parents bought me my first guitar, a Squier Standard in Black w/Maple. Since that time I have accumulated a pile of keeper guitars, and have owned close to another 50 which have made their way in and out of my hands. Ultimately, I fell in love with a couple of Fender Custom Shops and a Rickenbacker. But I never could find a dual humbucker guitar that I liked. I have owned 14 different Gibsons, from varying degrees of costs, age, and condition. But I never found a keeper. That eventually led me to PRS. A teaching buddy of mine has a PRS SE Custom 22 and I played it and loved the feel, and thought that the quality was superb in comparison to many similarly priced guitars from other brands. So that set me out on a search, I considered a Zach Myers, a Chris Robertson, and even an S2 Singlecut, but in the end, I decided to go core series. As of last night, I acquired my first PRS, a 2001 PRS McCarty. I believe it is a Standard, but I figured I would get some expert opinions on it here. I bought it for, what I believe to be, a good deal at $1200.

As an aside, I am a school teacher, and along with our tech ed department run a guitar builders club where our students make Fender Tele and Strat style guitars from blocks of wood. I recently reached out to PRS for a tour and we are getting a group tour from one of the engineers in early March. Anyway, enough about that...here are the McCarty pics.
jmfdgm5fxi5yr420oels.jpg

q3cec5u0yehqm7hq5orz.jpg

g1bakzdokqjvlqmddus2.jpg

rwodrfjtdwahuccxotjp.jpg

da6mygmwkzhf9aea4vnv.jpg

cbmhomyc0ck1hriukfkg.jpg
You got yourself a great fiddle right there.

Back