Headed out to try a S2 Singlecut today - vs. my SE Myers....will it be very different

DogPhishHead

You'll definitely hear a difference in the solid vs semi-hollow bodies. If it were the ZM and an S2 SC semi, less so. The solid will have a more ballsy sound.

You'll notice a difference also in that the hollow body has more acoustic resonance, which means it has a frequency peak where the mids/treble start to roll off. The solid body will have a different kind of resonant peak - it'll also be somewhat more consistent throughout the frequency range.

It's the resonances of a hollow body that make it more susceptible to feedback, for example.

The differences in resonances between solid and hollow body guitars is really interesting, if you ask me (which you didn't) but I'm into that audio stuff so there's that. ;)

You'll notice a difference also in that the hollow body has more acoustic resonance, which means it has a frequency peak where the mids/treble start to roll off. The solid body will have a different kind of resonant peak - it'll also be somewhat more consistent throughout the frequency range.

It's the resonances of a hollow body that make it more susceptible to feedback, for example.

The differences in resonances between solid and hollow body guitars is really interesting, if you ask me (which you didn't) but I'm into that audio stuff so there's that. ;)

Thanks to you both for the replies - stepping out the door now to give that S2 a play. Being a primarily Fender player for some 35 years, the whole PRS / humbucker world is sorta new to me.
And LS - I tend to read ALL your posts - you've got the credentials and PRS collection that makes your comments carry some weight - imho.

Yeah, what Les said. :p Hollow and semi hollow guitars have a certain warmth to the tone that I think Les described very well.

They also have a slower attack than a solid body. Seems like it takes a fraction of a second longer to get the air moving, so they don't hit as hard as a solid body.

Well, I left the singlecut at N Stuff Music. It was really a good playing guitar, great sustain, but the hardware was badly tarnished and it had some chips and such - not what I wanted. BUT - upstairs they had a new S2 Custom 22 on clearance - should the Christmas bonus check arrive soon, I'll be going back to try out that Custom 22. It was a beautiful Violin Burst.

Well, I left the singlecut at N Stuff Music. It was really a good playing guitar, great sustain, but the hardware was badly tarnished and it had some chips and such - not what I wanted. BUT - upstairs they had a new S2 Custom 22 on clearance - should the Christmas bonus check arrive soon, I'll be going back to try out that Custom 22. It was a beautiful Violin Burst.

There ya go!

Thanks for the kind words, by the way. :five:

Thinking about that S2 singlecut I tried, the pickups had a great deal of tarnish on them. And I just looked at used S2s on Dave's Guitar website - and again, heavy tarnish. You folks seeing this on your S2s ? Curious about how cheap they went on that shiny chrome - really makes the guitars look cheap imho.

I got my S2 semi last year, and the covers (and all the other hardware) are looking great:
23504030481_fbdbe5c9e3_z.jpg

It probably has a lot to do with a person's body chemistry though. I'm fortunate to have very non-corrosive sweat and finger oils. That's the problem with floor models I guess, too many people get their hands on them and a few of those hands are probably not going to be nice to the guitar.

Do wish they did brushed covers like the 57/08's and such, it's a great look and they're very forgiving.

Edit: I guess you better go grab that Custom 22 fast! Don't think, just go!!!

The hardware on a PRS isn't chrome, it's nickel. Nickel has more of a vintage vibe, and doesn't peel like chrome. It has a more neutral color cast, where chrome has a blue cast.

However, nickel also tarnishes in some environments, and with some body chemistries.. It's very easy to polish, and PRS has some recommendations on their site about it.

So it's not a matter of cheap chrome, even the finest nickel platings can tarnish, just like silver. It's NOT a defect.

Incidentally, the advantage for chrome is that it doesn't tarnish. So lots of manufacturers use chrome, despite the fact that it is more likely to peel, exposing the parts to rust.

However, I have no tarnishing on my PRSes, but maybe that's because I keep them clean and cased when not in use? Hanging in a shop, it's definitely more likely that you'd see tarnish.

But -- it's SO easy to polish the tarnish out. I've received PRSes with a small amount of tarnish, and literally, wiping the plating for a couple of seconds with a decent polish and a microfiber cloth takes it away.

Last edited:
Yep, nickel tarnishes easily. A little Blue Magic polish does a lot to brighten it back up. Between my sweat and the southern environment, I always end up with some irreversible wear patterns, though. I'm also not the best at wiping it down after playing.

Another thing on the S2 is the unplated stoptail. The brass posts on mine are greening and the bridge is graying where I rest my palm.

I embrace the patina and derive satisfaction knowing Paul & co. choose the best materials for tone.

It probably has a lot to do with a person's body chemistry though.
I do, too. A friend of mine's guitar teacher goes through strings like nothing, yet mine can last for months and oxidize before they tarnish (erosion by air vs. corrosion by bodily fluids), even though I rarely clean my guitars.

Notwithstanding all the other factors. El, some pickup manufacturers offer pre-worn pickup covers.
Well, more or Les.
Lollers.

Back