HBII - center block changes.

edhamgtr

I vaguely remember something about the center block being changed around the 20th anniversary models.
I think it got a big larger but I've never seen anything officially announced or any internal gut pics showing it.

Asking as I've always dug HB's but most had a dead note "D" (g string 7th fret), and I remember some forum posts that it was solved with that slightly larger block.

anyone have solid info on this? or pics showing the difference?

I emailed support but they wouldn't give an answer. (some nice corporate language but no info).

I moved to Hawaii a few years ago so I can't just find one to play.
Will have to buy one blind to try (and shipping is expensive!).

appreciate your genius input on this.

thanks

The ‘block’ on early HB was really just a post between the front and back. It is easiest to see under the bridge and was only slightly bigger than the bridge itself.

By the 25th Anniversary (I still have both), the block ran up the Center of the top. Basically, the underside of the top was no longer carved for the width of the bridge.

The D you noted has never been dead on either guitar. My personal preference is the original carve.

Last edited:
Thanks for that.

Is the 25th Anniversary block now how all the core HBii's are?

appreciate you taking the time to post!

The 25th anniversary year for PRS was 2010. I have a 2011 SC HBII and a 2013 HBII. I just pulled both out and used a flashlight to look inside of them. They have the same inside structure. They both have a block just under the bridge and another one under the neck pickup. There rest of the body is completely hollow. I have had zero neck dive issues with either of these guitars.

Back