Ground & Pound Soundman saga

Year 2 starts tonight !! WOW ! The Artists are well mannered at this stage , as time allows I pretty much let them play as long as they want ..
Those that are still getting there are now content to listen and learn . We try to foster community , supporting each other and have already had a few duets evolve. Like Jerry says " I'm in in for the fun , and Magic is what we do ..Music is how we do it " What a long strange trip it's been and it's getting better each time.

After a persistent year of requests, I'm giving in and will play a closing set every week .. open for all to join in .. I will ask any of those savvy enough to record and post it so you all can get a glimpse of the fun .

Last edited:
Packed house , 13 artists , the last one a friend, was just noodling, and the boss said , " Go join him , Please! " I did and we had a nice jam at the end with a piano player .. we had so much fun we did another I told the piano man to lead and he started a cool honky New Orleans thing , I grabbed a slide and we had a blast .They both asked if we could do it again next week , I told them it was a tradition that had faded , and now is a permanent slot at the end of the night for year 2. Totally rockin ... the boss snuck up and took a vid ..

Last edited:
Fridays are our Acoustic nights, and what the folks at Open Mic are shooting for in a booking.
Last night was a trip .. Indie artist we've had before and liked . Last night she decided to "have a few friends join her" which turned out to be a seperate band of WAY past thier prime cranky septagenarians that didn't have thier equipment together . The boss and I were not the least bit pleased.

The billed artist started demanding MORE REVERB for her vocals . (Always a bad sign) I switched to a deeper program and maxed it out , against my better judgement .. sounded dreadful ..."It still sounds dry to me " ...

In the end , They tanked any future gigs with their lack of professionalisn and lackluster performances that had people walking out

It reminds me of fishing , sometimes you just let them run .. in the end the hook will do it's job ...

Last edited:
Last night was a trip .. Indie artist we've had before and liked . Last night she decided to "have a few friends join her" which turned out to be a seperate band of WAY past thier prime cranky septagenarians that didn't have thier equipment together . The boss and I were not the least bit pleased.

The billed artist started demanding MORE REVERB for her vocals . (Always a bad sign) I switched to a deeper program and maxed it out , against my better judgement .. sounded dreadful ..."It still sounds dry to me " ...

In the end , They tanked any future gigs with their lack of professionalisn and lackluster performances that had people walking out

It reminds me of fishing , sometimes you just let them run .. in the end the hook will do it's job ...
At least you didn’t have to sort out the green m&m’s. People, sheesh! Still, you and the cafe owner are preserving a vanishing service to communities. Not that many open mic nights left.

There's always a cringey experience every so often. You've been on a great run though...

I'm glad my boss ALWAYS has my back. She values me and told me I have a job forever. The end of the month is my official 1 year anni as host and she's throwing a party , and has invited all the folks we've signed from Open Mic to come . I'm not one for the spotlight and reminded her , I'm hoping we can have some sort of all star jam .. that would be worth all the challenging nights ...

The odd thing .. that I pointed out to her , last time she played she used 80% less reverb and everybody loved it . Last night was " I want to be totally awash in reverb " Sage advice from an old curmedgeon :: Go find a BIG cave , and play to your hearts content, just watch out for the bats.

Interesting show last night , a duo of regulars of the rainbow brigade, always makes for an eclectic evening . The group and their crowd were all dressed in animal jammies .. . The lead singer complained her vocals weren't crisp enough with the treble on max .. I kindly informed her if she's quit swallowing the mic we could fix that.. " but that goes against everything I've ever been told ! " I simply replied .." those people told you wrong , Shure recommends a minimum distance of 4" for best sound , have you ever really looked at musicians in studio , they aren't hugging the mic. "

So .... she tried it ... begrudginly and WOW she was amazed .. it worked !! I guess the old hippie does know what he's talking about ..

Even the "seasoned " artists in my experience knows far less about how sound / equipment really works than they think they do .. and all think that just because they've played for X years they are knowlegable .. they forget .. they usually relied on somebody else to help bring thier sound out, live or especially in the studio .

The odd thing .. that I pointed out to her , last time she played she used 80% less reverb and everybody loved it . Last night was " I want to be totally awash in reverb " Sage advice from an old curmedgeon :: Go find a BIG cave , and play to your hearts content, just watch out for the bats.
As I'm sure you know, many times "more reverb" comes from people who aren't confident in, or comfortable with, the sound of their voice. They want it loud in the monitors, and then it's in their face and they don't like it. It doesn't often happen with an experienced polished vocalist... So I wasn't there, but my guess is she wasn't happy with the sound of the group (not surprised after your story) and that changed her perception of her voice in the mix. Just a guess.

I normally tell people that regardless of what they want to hear, more verb in the monitors is usually not a good thing. The more clarity you have in the monitors, the better, so a little verb goes a long way in the monitors, regardless of how much you use in FOH. My opinion.

Tonight's show marks the 1st anniversary of my 1st live Solo performance , that was an epiphany that cured my stage fright forever.
I've passed the lesson along to many a nervous 1st timer:
1) it's a very supportive room, if you manage to get up on stage , they will applaud out of respect .
2) If you are good they will pay attention , if not they will sip their drinks and talk .. so RELAX!

it has worked well

Tonight was great , everything from a young High school pianist /vocalist from a theater group, a few old favorites and new artists , the harp player from the band that is playing Saturday night .. who patiently waited for the end of night jam .. and it was GREAT .

There is a very talented vocalist who happens to be wheel chair bound. She has a tough time finding friendly venues and we always love her. When I reminded the crowd we would have and end of night jam session , she asked me ? What 's a Jam ? ... Being a fellow Jazz lover I explained it in relatable terms , " So I can just Scat ? " OH yes !!!! and she was in on the second number ... . Ella was smiling down, she smiled as she was heading out .. I'll be back that was FUN!!

3 guitars ( A tele , an Acoustic and me on my HBII Artist) a harp player and vocalist and we rocked it .. the Boss shouted out .. THIS IS NOW A PERMANENT FIXTURE FOLKS!!

..After everyone was gone she said it is so nice to hear me play ... I've always just played for my own pleasure and am always amazed anyone wants to listen .. although apparently most do .. ah well .. give them what they want .. I do enjoy a Jam more than about anything on the planet so I'll do that until my fingers fall off .

Last edited:
As many of the artists at Open Mic are new , and some have NO idea what a Jam even is .. So I'm posting this with the signup
..I'm Cajun so you'll understand the reference

Recipe for the Jam

What is a Jam?

Think of it as a Musical Gumbo
The leader makes the roux by laying down the GROOVE

Play when you have something tasty to add, lay back when you don't
Don't add too much spice
Be Brave, but humble

As Miles said .. there are no wrong notes

and remember the MOST Important rule : Let Loose and Have Fun!

Last edited:
#55 in the bag , last night marked the "unofficial" 1 year anniversary as Host . I was a sub the 1st time. We had 11 artists, a poet ,and finished up with an amazing Gospel duet. It was a delightful evening despite me being wiped out by allergies. (it it 1385 on monday, CDC says High is 200, Welcome to the Glorious Atlanta Spring~)

It was also my 1st born's 35th birthday .

Next week is "The Celebration" we've invited all 18 Artists we've booked from Open Mic to come back to perform for my official anni party .
I'll be debuting my new PS Santana Semi :) ! I'll also be bringing in Keys , Congas , and my fretless . Hoping for an epic JAM!

In the words of Jerry ... What a long strange trip it's been !

Last edited:
She debuted last night at the Cafe and blew us all away ! She'd shown up at Open Mic a few weeks ago and as soon as I heard the first line of the first song , I turned to the boss and said BOOK HER! Home grown Georgia talent ! She was also the easiest to work with , we dialed her in and we were golden for the night. So nice when an artist actually knows how to do a real sound check in a small place.

Last edited:
Tonight is the Celebration , my eldest grandson will be sitting in on Conga :) PRS will be well represented I'm starting off the set with a DADGAD original on Tigger my Flame Mahogany Steve Fisher Angelus , and will move to Nina my Santana Semi for the rest of the Guitar work.

I'll bring one of the basses I built for a backup , and may do a soundcheck set on keys for a bit.

I'm formatting the evening a bit different .. 1st hour Open Mic, last 90 minutes .. Open Stage so we can Jam the rest of the night ...

Back