Ground & Pound Soundman saga

I had a long talk with the boss last night, she's VERY happy with what Open Mic has become, the quality of the Sound I provide ( I donated and installed the new PA and run sound 3 nights a week) The quality of artists has improved , several artist comment it is thier favorite venue due to the sound and vibe we create. As a result of the blossoming singer songwriter pool , we are shifting our balance more in that direction for bookings.

Bands are fun , but dB SPL and $$$ are more of an issue .

We had a new local artist play last night.. with an all in one loop station / multi FX on thier voice and acoustic. While I admire the talent at incorporating all the tech , after an hour the only people left in the 1/2 full house were his wife and friend .. It wasn't any more entertaining than the house XM station.

The Boss commented she couldn't make out the lyrics behind all the effects, and would have preffered just straight guitar and vocal

RULE #1 If the house loses money on your gig , you ain't coming back

Last edited:
After a couple of light weeks , last night returned to a packed house , 13 artists ! It's hard to believe next week will mark 1 year at this , it has been quite an adventure. Friday one of our "Graduates" from Open Mic has her first gig , a young nursing student , she is a sweet and fresh as a farm girl , I told her .. " When you become a nurse , just sing it will heal all your patients" .

I just got approval from the boss to start a series of 30 minute pre show tech talks on all things sound . So folks can finally learn what all those knobs do , starting with the PA and down to the pedals and controls on the instrument and amps , hopefully as time progresses I'l get into one our favorite topics .. " How wood effects tone " ...in both acoustics and electrics.. Sound Sensei .. onegaishimasu ...

After a couple of light weeks , last night returned to a packed house , 13 artists ! It's hard to believe next week will mark 1 year at this , it has been quite an adventure. Friday one of our "Graduates" from Open Mic has her first gig , a young nursing student , she is a sweet and fresh as a farm girl , I told her .. " When you become a nurse , just sing it will heal all your patients" .
Nurses are awesome. The identical twin sister of a dear friend is a nurse. She called me up 20-some years ago out of the blue. We got married 20 years ago and have been together ever since.

I know, nothing to do with open mic. Regarding - you and the shop owner are doing a wonderful thing, that is becoming vanishingly rare.

I just got approval from the boss to start a series of 30 minute pre show tech talks on all things sound . So folks can finally learn what all those knobs do , starting with the PA and down to the pedals and controls on the instrument and amps , hopefully as time progresses I'l get into one our favorite topics .. " How wood effects tone " ...in both acoustics and electrics.. Sound Sensei .. onegaishimasu ...
That sounds like an awesome addition to the open mic content and with your knowledge, I am sure it will be very well done! Any chance we can get some video of those segments (and of you playing when those opportunities arise)?

Also, congrats on nearing that one mile year marker! I am psyched that you have been able to make this work and grow, it has been a great story to hear!!

Last edited:
Last nights show was a great success despite a few curve balls . Rookie mistakes .. The artists brought elaborate flower arrangements for the mic stands and stage , put little led candles around for mood .. and all FORGOT their instrument cables and tuners ..~~~!! OOPS oh ! James you have some don't you ??? They threw in an unexpected Cellist (thankfully it had a pickup and he was very cool) . I'd set a bass DI up so that was covered

All in all it was great .. All the musicians thanked me for saving the day and will be attending the sound seminars ! The Boss said " My god , I don't know what we'd do without you! You always come to the rescue" Hey ..it's my job ..

With my health going rapidly downhill I've got to do a "brain dump" for the community so they can carry on when I"m playin with Jimi and SRV .

Last edited:
Last nights show was a great success despite a few curve balls . Rookie mistakes .. The artists brought elaborate flower arrangements for the mic stands and stage , put little led candles around for mood .. and all FORGOT their instrument cables and tuners ..~~~!! OOPS oh ! James you have some don't you ??? They threw in an unexpected Cellist (thankfully it had a pickup and he was very cool) . I'd set a bass DI up so that was covered

All in all it was great .. All the musicians thanked me for saving the day and will be attending the sound seminars ! The Boss said " My god , I don't know what we'd do without you! You always come to the rescue" Hey ..it's my job ..

With my health going rapidly downhill I've got to do a "brain dump" for the community so they can carry on when I"m playin with Jimi and SRV .
Stay strong mate.

Great job on saving the day! Sorry to hear that the medicals are trending poorly!! Thanks for all you are doing here at the forum and for your local music community, you are a rare treasure!!!

I am looking forward to this! My old school 12 channel mixer just died, and I replaced with with a 20 channel digital. Holy cow, there's a lot I can do with it that I couldn't do before.... and I wasn't really using the old mixer to it's full potential.

I have a buddy that does a fair amount if live sound, and we talk a bit, but I haven't been able to get him over for one of my bi-weekly jam sessions with the neighbors to see if we can dial in the room a little better. I've been hitting youtube university to figure out how to mix vocals, and the like. But there is a lot of ground to cover.

As any of the Real Pro's like Les can tell you , it's all about balance. The new boards are much nicer , and the Cafe' has now got a rep as having great sound among the artists. It's hard to imagine how they survived with only a 4 channel 2 speaker set up for so long. Ideally I'm trying to work myself out of a job as sound man and just focus on Open Mic , as I volunteer that is not a problem . It would be great to be able to sit back and just enjoy the great sound without the responsibility.

I was "helping" with PA duties a number of years ago andvi can't even remember what the event was???

Anyway, the PA that was provided was not adequate for what they were trying to do, kind of a cobbled up mess really.

There was a monitor amp that didn't have XLR inputs and a snake that didn't have any 1/4 outputs, balanced or not. They were freaking out.

I had an old Peavey mono amp that had parallel XLR/1/4 inputs in my trailer.

They were freaking out even more when I brought that amp out. XLR from snake to amp and 1/4 from amp to whatever was running their monitor system.

Well we don't have an extra outlet for that amp......when I told them it didn't need plugged in, they looked at me like I had 3 heads!!

Worked fine. Not sure why I remember that but it was kind of funny!

I just don't do that kind of stuff anymore. Getting too old for all that heavy stuff.

Thanks for the good wishes , I battled acute hematuria all last week , it's finally cleared . Last time around it didn't clear through and I had acute kidney failure (EGFR 13%) . Thankfully I recovered after surgery .. Cancer is a voracious pit bull with an insatiable appetite. We all fight it at some point it seems , victories are always temporary ... nobody gets out of this fight forever .

The spirit is strong and Music and the community including you all keep me going. The short end of the prognosis is this year, anything past is dessert . I look at each day as an opportunity to improve my world and all in it .

One of my old blues players told me last month " Make EVERY Note count, Play it with absolute conviction , and be happy " That my Friends is a great Life lesson

We finished up our first year with 12 artists and a great show . Looking forward to year 2 !
Formalized a "Ground Rules List " walking the fine line of firm but gentle... approved by the boss :

This is a Community, supporting your fellow Artists is a requirement for membership

This is a business, supporting it allows Artist to play, and is a requirement for participation in the evening

This is an ongoing Audition for Friday night shows , NO outboard gear is allowed. That is reserved for booked Artists only

All sets are 2 songs , as Time and Talent allow additional time may be alloted at the discretion of the Host

First time Artists have priority in the first hour, If you have performed 3 shows, you will play in the second half of the evening

Always cooperate with the Host and Staff, we are here to make you successful , return the kindness

Last edited:
I had a long talk with the boss last night, she's VERY happy with what Open Mic has become, the quality of the Sound I provide ( I donated and installed the new PA and run sound 3 nights a week) The quality of artists has improved , several artist comment it is thier favorite venue due to the sound and vibe we create. As a result of the blossoming singer songwriter pool , we are shifting our balance more in that direction for bookings.

Bands are fun , but dB SPL and $$$ are more of an issue .

We had a new local artist play last night.. with an all in one loop station / multi FX on thier voice and acoustic. While I admire the talent at incorporating all the tech , after an hour the only people left in the 1/2 full house were his wife and friend .. It wasn't any more entertaining than the house XM station.

The Boss commented she couldn't make out the lyrics behind all the effects, and would have preffered just straight guitar and vocal

RULE #1 If the house loses money on your gig , you ain't coming back
I've found it's pretty common of more "beginning" sound people and people running their own effects while playing/singing or recording, to add WAY too much reverb on their voice. Very common rookie mistake! Sometimes, they do it to mask a weak singing voice, but others, they just do it because they "think" it sounds like the radio and they just need to learn to back it (way) down.

Back