Greetings. Advice on new 17 Zach Myers.

Earl Preacher

Hi everyone. New to group. Just got a new 2017 Zach Meyers.
Really excited to play it. Its my 1st electric and my 1st new guitar.
Only issue is fret sprout. Or sharp fret ends. Sharp enough to really rough up the hands and hurt. Need some advice on how to handle this issue?
Purchased from Zzounds and im only a hundred miles or so south of where it shipped. It was brought straight in off of truck. And is was kept inside a week before opening it to let temperature stabilize.
Should I just have the ends smoothed or call PRS or ZZounds. Im also about a hour from PRS Maryland factory.
Sorry for long post. Just want to do right by the guitar. Thanks in advance.

I read your thread title and my immediate thought was “17 Zach Myers guitars” wow that’s some collection!

I will leave those far more knowledgeable than me to answer your question.

Welcome.

Hi everyone. New to group. Just got a new 2017 Zach Meyers.
Really excited to play it. Its my 1st electric and my 1st new guitar.
Only issue is fret sprout. Or sharp fret ends. Sharp enough to really rough up the hands and hurt. Need some advice on how to handle this issue?
Purchased from Zzounds and im only a hundred miles or so south of where it shipped. It was brought straight in off of truck. And is was kept inside a week before opening it to let temperature stabilize.
Should I just have the ends smoothed or call PRS or ZZounds. Im also about a hour from PRS Maryland factory.
Sorry for long post. Just want to do right by the guitar. Thanks in advance.
Since you're only an hour away, I would recommend asking them to take care of it. And perhaps getting a factory tour while you're at it. ;)

That said, if you are not that close (I.E. someone else with the same problem), I've had local techs offer to do it for free. When I asked them why, they said, "well, ( a ) we want you back as a customer, but in the interest of full disclosure, ( b ) it's simply the easiest thing in the world to do to a guitar, for an experienced guitar tech, to file the frets down."

Back