Gotta Ask...What Are Your Resolutions?

My resolution is to declutter my house. The older I get the more I realize how little stuff I actually need or use. My plan is to simply list stuff on the local buy, sell trade site as free and suggest that if one is so inclined to make some contribution to the local volunteer fire department. No strings, just a suggestion.

There is a way of accomplishing this, but it takes a little planning...

This is going to sound incorrect to you, but imagine it in a similar way the earth's physical laws work harmoniously with one another...

The mindset is a form of feng shui...you place items or objects that you own in a way that reflects one or more facets of your life...whether that reflects your work life, your relationship life, the outdoors, or whatever facet...it may even include what you believe, your philosophy, etc.

What you don't use regularly (every month) should be considered less important, and relegated to whatever storage bins you may own or might need purchase. (For example, much of my books from earlier days are relegated to bookshelves that aren't accessed as frequently). Things you use more regularly (cast-iron skillets for breakfast, tongs, plates, glasses, etc) should be easily accessible and cleaned/maintained regularly.

This works for each room of your house, the living room (wall decor, furniture placement, curtains, lighting, ventilation, work stations, desks, tables, chairs, etc). The kitchen (appliances, utensils, kitchen tools, lazy susan's, knife block, dish drainer, soaps, sponges, spoon rests/racks, wall hangers, cabinetry (and what's inside), pantry, foodstuffs). The bathroom can be organized as well (install lightweight but sturdy shelving above the toilet, organize the medicine cabinet (not as necessary, just so you know where things are (e.g. topicals, internal meds, dental, facial), bathroom cleaners, toiletries (TP, shaving, first aid, etc). And lastly, the bedroom (furniture, desks, chairs, etc, curtain, lighting, A/C, chest of drawers, bed, lamp stand, clothing storage (closet, storage space, shelving), wall decor.

If perhaps (and many will) you own a larger dwelling space, the same rule applies. Locate what you like or use most in easily accessed areas of your house. If perhaps you record music, locate your studio wherever you find it most quiet or convenient. If perhaps you use your computer extensively, do the same for that room, and utilize what space you have, the best way you know how.

If perhaps you use hand tools, allocate these to wherever they most appropriately work for you (mine are typically relative to 10AM by the clock).

All else (items you use less than every 3 to 6 months) should be considered as expendable (either sold for more useful items, donated, recycled, or disposed of).

Collectibles, like guitars, music, DVDs instructional books, or knick-knacks, all should have their own place consistent to whatever expresses your feelings about what you like or dislike. If you collectibles aren't displayed, are they organized, rather than just relegated to some plastic containers or shoeboxes...?

All this takes a while to do, and should be more than just a weekend project. It'll take several weekends to find what fits your lifestyle most appropriate, and whether you can clean up your room and put stuff away is more than what I just said. It involves using your hands, eyes and brain so that you acquire a sense of "what works" and does the job for you.

Last edited:
My resolution is to declutter my house. The older I get the more I realize how little stuff I actually need or use. My plan is to simply list stuff on the local buy, sell trade site as free and suggest that if one is so inclined to make some contribution to the local volunteer fire department. No strings, just a suggestion.
I like this a lot.
A couple of years ago I gave people a link to my Ride to Conquer Cancer to donate to if they wanted.
If no one wants to pick it up, I take stuff to a local drop off.
We still have too much stuff though.

I admire those of you who want to do so much good in the world.

Being relatively selfish, I want to have more sex.

GHem9sY.jpg

My New Years Resolutions:
  1. Stop drinking
  2. Have sex every day. (OK, those two offset each other).
  3. Go to Experience
  4. Have sex twice every day (ok, another offset)
  5. Work out more. Be in “great” shape by my next birthday.
  6. Actually “practice” more and learn a new skill on guitar.
  7. Fish more
  8. Sell guitars I don’t play and own only ones I play regularly

My New Years Resolutions:
  1. Stop drinking
  2. Have sex every day. (OK, those two offset each other).
  3. Go to Experience
  4. Have sex twice every day (ok, another offset)
  5. Work out more. Be in “great” shape by my next birthday.
  6. Actually “practice” more and learn a new skill on guitar.
  7. Fish more
  8. Sell guitars I don’t play and own only ones I play regularly

May I? :

1. Drink only in moderation, and know my limits.
  2. Enjoy being single and sharing my time and meals with friends
  3. Ask how your trip to Experience was. (Am not a fan of traveling great distances, but am interested in your experiences, by thinking globally but acting locally)
  4. Try to exercise so as to strengthen, improve my mood, and work out the daily stresses.
  5. Remember that exercise increases risk of injury. Use correct form, hydrate, and stay clean.
  6. Practice guitar on days when weather precludes exercise or outdoor activity.
  7. Look for ways to improve my teaching/study habits.
  8. Remember that everyone has their "up and down" days. Don't buy stuff I don't need, maintaining and repairing things so as to avoid costlier repairs later; sell only when absolutely necessary and chew thoroughly...

Find ways to get more people to have a good time when I play. If they ain’t smilin,I ain’t happy. Our playing is a chance to give something positive to our listeners, even if only for 2 minutes and 57 seconds. Doesn’t matter how well or badly I think I played. They didn’t teach me that in Music School.

Find ways to get more people to have a good time when I play. If they ain’t smilin,I ain’t happy. Our playing is a chance to give something positive to our listeners, even if only for 2 minutes and 57 seconds. Doesn’t matter how well or badly I think I played. They didn’t teach me that in Music School.

With you on this one, but consider this...

I've learned that you've got to treat audience like family, and family like your audience. When you might feel your audience might take you for a ride, remember that this might cause you to react too quickly, and make mistakes. Your job is still treating them like adults who themselves make mistakes, just like we musicians do. The "clams" you make only provide opportunities to cultivate better relationships once you've spoken with your audience and asked them how they either enjoyed or disliked your performance.

May I? :

1. Drink only in moderation, and know my limits.
  2. Enjoy being single and sharing my time and meals with friends
  3. Ask how your trip to Experience was. (Am not a fan of traveling great distances, but am interested in your experiences, by thinking globally but acting locally)
  4. Try to exercise so as to strengthen, improve my mood, and work out the daily stresses.
  5. Remember that exercise increases risk of injury. Use correct form, hydrate, and stay clean.
  6. Practice guitar on days when weather precludes exercise or outdoor activity.
  7. Look for ways to improve my teaching/study habits.
  8. Remember that everyone has their "up and down" days. Don't buy stuff I don't need, maintaining and repairing things so as to avoid costlier repairs later; sell only when absolutely necessary and chew thoroughly...
You do understand that the first four were a joke, right? I don’t drink now, nor do I have sex every day...Although one of those two I fully support doing daily ;) But that’s what I meant for offsetting.

Do you play originals or covers mostly?

guitar related;
1) learn more theory and get my intervals down all over the neck. (i'm really bad about that.)
2) actually put together and learn a set so the band can book some gigs - we basically just jam now. (which is super fun)

non guitar related
1) 700 off road mountain bike miles. (I got 11 so far lol)
2) swim 100,000 yards (0 so far)
3) go to bed and get up earlier

I also attended college, but I was deeply misunderstood and highly over-rated. Um, scratch the over-rated part...
Yeah, I was deeply misunderstood in college as well. I was there for one reason, to play basketball! Well, and 1A- COLLEGE GIRLS! I didn't know they'd actually expect me to spend hours studying or I couldn't breeze through with all A's and B's like I did in high school. Talk about culture shock.

Back