Fret sprout

GADonis

Beautifully Broken
So I played my 2001 McCarty last night after not having played it for some time. The first fret seems to have developed "sprout" on the treble side. It was enough that I could notice it during normal playing. Feels like maybe a couple others are doing the same but not to the same extent. The bass side feels normal. I'm pretty sure this is a fairly recent development.

My little conundrum is do I do anything about it. In addition to being a great guitar, this specific guitar holds great sentimental value for me. Long story short, it is essentially the last thing my mother ever gave me. So I'm wary about handing it over to someone I don't know but I'm not sure it's enough of an issue to ship it to PTC.

I think I'll live with it for a while and see how much it bothers me.

I’ve had a local tech fix fret sprout before with no negative side effects. Should be a pretty easy job for a competent tech. But I understand the sentimental value - I’d also not want anything bad to happen if it were me.

If you decide you can live with it, I’d find a way to keep it properly hydrated - usually fret sprout occurs when the neck dries out, so some humidity may slow down or stop the sprout from getting worse.

I had a CE with pretty noticeable fret sprout. I just used lemon oil to let the wood get some moisture back and it was hardly noticeable a couple days later..

That's a good idea. I'm not sure when the last time I oiled the fretboard. It hasn't gotten as much play time since I bought the 594. It probably needs new strings and a good thorough cleaning anyway.

I live in a pretty humid area but as hot as it has been lately it seems like my AC is running constantly. Probably wouldn't hurt to hit all my rosewood fretboards with some oil.

Before you do anything with it I would recommend making sure it’s properly humidified. I’ve had good luck with Boveda / D'Addario Humidipak - Humiditrak system. It will keep it at the proper humidity level and track temperature and humidity. If a few months after humidifier treatment it’s still a problem then maybe do something. The humidifier system only will help if the guitar is kept in its case when not in use

I live in a pretty humid area but as hot as it has been lately it seems like my AC is running constantly.
There's your trouble. AC dries out the air in a big way. You just need to get some moisture back into the board.

Get a digital hygrometer that you can put in the room where the guitars are. Look at it when you’re in the room, and it will give you a sense of what’s going on with the relative humidity in this room from day to day and season to season. You might be surprised by what you find. Certain times of the year, weather patterns, AC (as you’ve already mentioned) can have a significant impact on the humidity. Guitars in general like to be 45-55% and if you can keep it close to this range you will have much less of an issue with fret sprout. Also helps with keeping the action and tuning stable over time, among other things I’m sure. Makes maintaining your instrument that much easier and predictable.

Last edited:
Back